Premium for Night Work?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Been doing a few restaurants which can be done only between 10 p.m. and 9 a.m. Have been offered another.

Those of you who do night work, do you charge a premium over day work for:

Inconvenient hours

Loss of work the day of the job and morning after. (I limit my work on the day of the job so I'm not too tired and don't schedule the following morning.)

Security for the customer's business and myself and equipment in sketchy hoods. Doors need to be open.

Noise issues.

Much obliged!

Name
Jesse
We charge less. I would charge more if I was going to be doing it myself for any length of time. We also charge less if we get the keys, and or a flexible scheduled day.

Bob Foster

If it is get at it at 6am or around 10pm I don't charge up. But if it start later at night I add a dime because it basically screws you up the next day.

Name
Lee Stockwell
We do many restaurants in the early morning, 5,6,7am start. Doesn't mess up the day at all. That was a Jeff Cross suggestion from 1999 when we visited him in Ohio. Sounded impossible to implement, but it has worked great for us.

If you leave 'em wet and stinky then this isn't for you.

Thanks,
Lee

Bob Foster

If you're a one man band and you have a full day booked after a late night it can be a bit grueling. (but worth it)

Becker

Name
Becker
Being the one man show that I am, I often decline giving bids on this type of work.

When I do bid it, if it needs to be done on the weekend I charge more, if it needs to be done after 7:pm I bid more.

Funny how little Comm work I have.

Amazing how many companies have crews running around at night for .05 per sq.

I think the norm is to bid lower for night work.. Weird ehhhh

Bob Foster

I think the reason night work can be subject to lower pricing is because it is commercial work. Commercial work generally represents repeat work and some view it as insurance of having at least some form of steady income that offsets the fluctuating levels of residential work.

Tony Neville

Name
Tony Neville
We go with an early start time as well, Some of the bigger places we will divide in to two or three mornings. This way everyone is happy! :D
Tony

G

I have done it both , early am and starting at night between 9 and 12. I prefer 9 to 12, Hire yourself a couple of college kids . The ones that work best for this are football and basketball players from the local college. However with the B Ballplayers ya need a different wand.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Lots of money to be made doing commercial work Becker, but it is certainly more challenging if you're doing the work. .05 a sq ft is awfully low and I would bet most work is not done at this rate but certainly .12-.25 is typical for jobs between 2-20,000 sq ft.

Wouldn't it be nice if you had a person or two out making you and extra few hundred or thousand at night with all your overhead covered already from your day work?

Ken

Becker

Name
Becker
Nahh, cuz then I'd end up working alot of those nights when guys call in sick. And I'd be on call for putting out fires.

I know I could build a system that works. But I'm pretty happy right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom