Power Steering Overflow?

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
After finishing an uph cleaning job w/ Hydramaster cds 4.8 as my pto, noticed power steering fluid leaked and left a mess on the driveway. I saw the resevoir had leaked during the job. I was backed up a decent incline, which is uncommon for me, so I am hoping it was from the incline causing the vent to be blocked to cause this? 2016 Chevy Express. Also, the oil level is still ok which im leaning on it was overfilled to begin with, a while ago.

• Wow
Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Jeff T
The power steering shares the same fluid as the brake booster. If you have issues, get it checked out now.
I own the same van.
Just ask me how I know…

Reactions: Mike J

Dwain Ray

On Vacation
Name
Dwain Ray
Un like engine oil, and cooling systems there is no place in the power steering system/and or braking system for extra liquids to enter. Coolant can leak into oil contaminate and raise levels and a leak in a heat exchanger can overflow Coolant even a leak in radiator cooler can contaminate and raise transmission fluid levels but power steering/ brake fuild/ differential fulids would have to be manually over filled to overflow, even parked at extreme angles it would have to be filled above manufacturer full cold/hot level mark

Dwain Ray

On Vacation
Name
Dwain Ray
Un like engine oil, and cooling systems there is no place in the power steering system/and or braking system for extra liquids to enter. Coolant can leak into oil contaminate and raise levels and a leak in a heat exchanger can overflow Coolant even a leak in radiator cooler can contaminate and raise transmission fluid levels but power steering/ brake fuild/ differential fulids would have to be manually over filled to overflow, even parked at extreme angles it would have to be filled above manufacturer full cold/hot level mark
Sorry hit post by accident, i would be leaning more twards a leak, unless you recently replenished the fluid. If not and no obvious leak can be seen, your local auto parts store sells leak detector put it in according to the instructions and you can use your urine uv detection light to find the leak

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Well it fixed itself for now. I put on over 5 hrs of machine time, no issues overflowing. The level is still good too. Funny thing is I did go through the booster replacement within this past year and the power steering and brake system was louder. Now it seems quiet. Maybe it had air in it for a while and this cleared it. Whatever it is its ok for now.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
Good to know. Until that time, when running HEAVY (full of H2O, chems, tools, crew, brake early, and often…)

Mine ALMOST didn’t stop on a Saturday morning @ 5:30, going to a Big commercial job in another city…
One day I got in one of my vans that an employee uses and was like wth is wrong with the brakes pretty soon I realized the steering was terrible and loud also

I drove straight to autozone and put some Lucas power steering crap on it and refilled it

That was almost two years ago

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom