Porty help / recommendations (need a unit asap)

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Haven't so much as looked at a porty in 20 years - spent all day looking at various units that meet my needs - anything I think does is out of stock for months or nobody at the reseller can answer basic questions...

2 days lost, so all help GREATLY appreciated. Open to suppliers soliciting, and anyone that has a used unit interested in selling reaching out too.

The needs:
0-500 PSI min
Heat
Auto dump-out
Can run on resi 15A circuits (dual cords OK)
Has to land on my dock in 10-ish days

Thanks!!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'd forget about the heat. 500 psi, half horsepower pump and 2-3 stage vacuums. If you want auto pump out, it will cost you one 20 amp circuit. "You can't always get what you want".

Reactions: SMRBAP

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Haven't so much as looked at a porty in 20 years - spent all day looking at various units that meet my needs - anything I think does is out of stock for months or nobody at the reseller can answer basic questions...

2 days lost, so all help GREATLY appreciated. Open to suppliers soliciting, and anyone that has a used unit interested in selling reaching out too.

The needs:
0-500 PSI min
Heat
Auto dump-out
Can run on resi 15A circuits (dual cords OK)
Has to land on my dock in 10-ish days

Thanks!!

That's a unicorn you're looking for. Two decent vacs and a pump will eat up close to 30 amps. You'll need two 1700 watt heaters to get a usable amount of heat.Add on an auto dump and you're gonna need 5 fifteen amp outlets to run it. I ran porties for decades and my imagination was limited by Mr. Amps.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
That's a unicorn you're looking for. Two decent vacs and a pump will eat up close to 30 amps. You'll need two 1700 watt heaters to get a usable amount of heat.Add on an auto dump and you're gonna need 5 fifteen amp outlets to run it. I ran porties for decades and my imagination was limited by Mr. Amps.

Thanks! The dumping into buckets is my worry. Feels like a big check waiting to be written...

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
I have a Mytee M-5 I could let go for $1000+ shipping. prepaid everything since you don't post here very often.
2 cord, NO heat, claims 500 psi but 400+ psi actually.
Went from 98% carpet cleaning and 2% restoration - to 98% restoration and 2% carpet cleaning a few years back. The only cleaning we do is related to fire losses. But I've been snooping here, and realized how much I missed it

Thanks, PM me a pic or two if you can!

Last edited:

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
What kind of jobs are you planning for it? Most of my portable work is just condos. Just dumping 2 buckets usually.
Fire losses. Typically only when we can't get the TM's to reach. Used to be infrequently but that's changing.

This one is in a 14k sq ft home. 3rd floor is all carpet, tons of furniture.

I was looking at a tennant q12. 400-1200psi so we can run a spinner too. Auto fill and pump out. Claims 2 15A circuits. No heat, but your post has me grounded...lol.

It's huge $ for something we may use 12x or 0x in any given year.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Fire losses. Typically only when we can't get the TM's to reach. Used to be infrequently but that's changing.

I was looking at a tennant q12. 400-1200psi so we can run a spinner too. Auto fill and pump out. Claims 2 15A circuits. No heat, but your post has me grounded...lol.

If you can find at least one 20 amp circuit I would take a look at some of the larger Mytee machines.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
If you can find at least one 20 amp circuit I would take a look at some of the larger Mytee machines.

We are in so many homes that still have 100A main panels and gas utils (no range, no dryer) it'd be a crap shoot every time we needed a porty.

I can get adjusters to let us wire (and pay for) temp power when we need to run more than the homes service - but it won't fly to wire a porty in.

I'm going to have to take what I can get w 2 15's.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
We are in so many homes that still have 100A main panels and gas utils (no range, no dryer) it'd be a crap shoot every time we needed a porty.

I can get adjusters to let us wire (and pay for) temp power when we need to run more than the homes service - but it won't fly to wire a porty in.

I'm going to have to take what I can get w 2 15's.
Take a look at some of the tile cleaning machines. You will get up to 1200 psi on one circuit. One 3 stage vacuum usually and a pump out on the other. The vacuum isn't great but as long as you stick to short hoses, you should be ok.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
And another thing - DON'T buy an internal heat machine because they cook your components.If you want hot and depending on wand flow you can daisy chain 2 1500 watt heaters for finger blisters. Change out the 200 degree disc thermostats for 240 degrees. Pappy Jon is offering you a good deal with the vacs running in parallel for superior water recovery but if that doesn't work out look at EDIC.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
We are in so many homes that still have 100A main panels

100 amp is enough for most "normal size" (1000-2000sf) homes unless they're all electric
(elect load calcs are a routine part my job and I spec new service panels all-de-time)

if a newer home built in the last 30 years, kitchen, bath and laundry room should all be 20A circuits.
running any porty that's halfazz decent, you need to locate the breaker box before you start anyway....'cause you will trip breakers at times.

Locate the box, and you'll likely see a couple/few single pole 20A breakers.
one of them will be feeding the kitchen for sure

..L.T.A.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes

I have the Cobra 1200 that is that very machine. Contrary to what Ron thinks of them, it’s a good machine. Heats like crazy and has the 15 amp circuits. The down side is maneuverability. It’s not like an upright porty, but it’s manageable.
But, I use a trailer, so it manageable for me.
I bought mine used at a steal, so no buyers remorse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Thanks! The dumping into buckets is my worry. Feels like a big check waiting to be written...
IMO you should worry more about the Auto fill and dump failing and causing a flood.
The float valve could fail on the autofill and allow the water to keep filling.
The waste tank filter could get clogged and not allow the water to dump. Or the drain hose move or fall from the toilet/drain.

Reactions: Cleanworks

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
IMO you should worry more about the Auto fill and dump failing and causing a flood.
The float valve could fail on the autofill and allow the water to keep filling.
The waste tank filter could get clogged and not allow the water to dump. Or the drain hose move or fall from the toilet/drain.
Auto fill would be used to fill then disconnected to avoid bucket dumping.

Pump out... correct, but the plan was to come up with some fail safe protocols for the guys.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Couldn't you just buy some extra hose?

I have extra. I have enough for both vans to get to 500'. We are just running into too many situations where a porty makes 1000% more sense.

We do a lot of water & fire jobs within city limits. Having to park 300'+ away as the start and having to run across peoples driveway access is the biggest issue. Just doesn't work.

I have 2 HVE3000's for water losses where a TM is too tough or not possible. Need a porty for the same when it comes to cleaning.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
I have the Cobra 1200 that is that very machine. Contrary to what Ron thinks of them, it’s a good machine. Heats like crazy and has the 15 amp circuits. The down side is maneuverability. It’s not like an upright porty, but it’s manageable.
But, I use a trailer, so it manageable for me.
I bought mine used at a steal, so no buyers remorse.
It is exactly what I was after originally/specifically. They are no more from what I understand. I couldn't find one anywhere, last place I called said they are out of production. I think hydra bought them out?

I'd be interested and pull the trigger on a gently used on in a second.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
100 amp is enough for most "normal size" (1000-2000sf) homes unless they're all electric
(elect load calcs are a routine part my job and I spec new service panels all-de-time)

if a newer home built in the last 30 years, kitchen, bath and laundry room should all be 20A circuits.
running any porty that's halfazz decent, you need to locate the breaker box before you start anyway....'cause you will trip breakers at times.

Locate the box, and you'll likely see a couple/few single pole 20A breakers.
one of them will be feeding the kitchen for sure

..L.T.A.

We are almost always in scenarios where a lot of other stuff is already running. AFD's, Hydroxyls, Dehu's, Airmovers... but mostly I'm looking for something I can run 100% of the time without any worry about finding a 20.

Pittsburgh still has a mind boggling number of homes with active knob and tube runs.

I have gensets I could bring, but really prefer to not go that route.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
When I google Carpet cleaning supplies Pittsburgh, I get Pembertons coming up. They carry the Nautilus and the Olympus portables. Both are available in different power combinations with auto fill and auto pump out available. Probably worth you while to call Jim and see what he can come up with for you.

Name
Nate W.
The king cobra was a big heavy pos.. Concept was good, but performance lacked.. Too bad Chavez wasn't here.. They had at least 1 or 2 and was disappointed for what they paid, performance, and bulky..

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
If you’re trying to make it a truck mount, it is. If you want a porty and have the ability to maneuver, haul it, it’s’ fine. I paid $700, not 7k
for mine, so me likely🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: Nate The Great

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The king cobra was a big heavy pos.. Concept was good, but performance lacked.. Too bad Chavez wasn't here.. They had at least 1 or 2 and was disappointed for what they paid, performance, and bulky..
The king cobra only has one 3-stage vac motor. At least on the ones I've seen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom