Polishing wood floor

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
What type of pad would be best for polishing a urethane prefinished wood floor with an OP machine?

Spray buff??

Would like to give my floors a little pop after 3 years. I don't want to recoat them with anything, already tried that and didn't like it. Just want to buff them a little.

Bryan

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Microfiber or cotton. Dampen the pad with BP Wood Floor Cleaner to clean as well as for lubrication.

Scott Warrington

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Scott, thanks for the reply. Funny thing is that I just received a call today from FMS about cleaning some AACER XL Prefinished hardwood that has streaks in it from a previous cleaning.

Will I need to do anything different than what you said above?

Thanks.

G

Bonnet pad and pole u get at lowes; apply Orange glo furniture polish; let dry for one hour wipe with micro fiber bonnet; buffer low speed lambs wool pad.

dgargan

Please do not apply Orange Glow to your wood floor! It's hard to remove and makes the floor slippery. After repeated uses it will build up on the floor and becomes hard to remove.

G

Thats why you remove it with micro fiber pad and buff it with lambs wool pad. I got a custy that I do this for once a month and her floors are awesome; these are floors in a 200 year old home that has real old wooden floors with poly finish.

Fon Johnson

We will use red, champagne, white, or cotton bonnets depending on what we are doing. Spray buffing with a light pad can pop the shine if the finish is not in too bad of shape.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Here are some pics of the issues with this floor. We will be taking care of this tomorrow night.

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

CapeCleaner

How did you decide to approach this Bryan?

I would clean with a 175 floor machine using a pad that is not too aggressive - probably red - and recoat applying a wood floor finish (gloss, matte, etc.) with a lambs wool applicator. I'm starting to get more requests for cleaning and refinishing wood floors and am considering adopting the Bona Kemi recoat system. Essentially the same way I do it now but with an extra step to abrade the floor a little for better adhesion. Here is a link to that site: http://www.bona.com/en/US/Concepts_and_ ... asy_Steps/

Would like to see some 'after' pictures.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
That floor is 4 weeks old!!! Basically some haze from the previous cleaners putting something on it they should not have. Some drag marks from employees dragging things.

CapeCleaner

Maybe it's the pictures but the condition looks worse than what a simple polishing will correct. Again, might be the pictures, but it looks like the floor has more than a few scratches. I would also want to completely remove whatever product was used that should not have been and I don't believe polishing only will do that.

The age of the floor doesn't matter, it's the condition of the finish. I'm scheduled to refinish a brand new floor that looks better than that. The owner hasn't even moved in yet but the floor has some scratches and scuffs from the movers and workers.

That said, I'm looking a pictures and you're doing the work so I'll defer to you.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Here is the result. Different lighting because of night photo.

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

Spot cleaned the glue marks with neutral floor cleaner mixed strong, polished with a microfiber pad (w/ op machine) and bona wood floor cleaner. Took some of the very fine scratches out, but several scratches remained. They just wanted the residue off the floor. Now to discuss with them how to maintain this now going forward.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom