Polishing a Travertine table top questions

La.Swampfox

Name
G. D. Simmons
I'm not reading all that. But It looks good. I assume you hired a guy. ;)
Thanks for the compliment. Nah; my "Petticoat Boss" has a combination Plumber, Electrician, Carpenter, Mechanic, Yard-Man, etc., etc., that hangs around that she assigns these "Honey-Do" projects to. LOL

Wandslinger

Name
Tom Meyer
Just goes to show there is always another way of doing things. You got killed in time, but you learned something. Good for you

Reactions: Mikey P

La.Swampfox

Name
G. D. Simmons
Just goes to show there is always another way of doing things. You got killed in time, but you learned something. Good for you
Amen to that. Guess I could of done it a little faster; but didn't want to crowd that cheap little sander too hard, or make a mistake by rushing it. I have always been pretty patient doing things, because I want things done right; kind of a perfectipnist I guess. My Dad used to say "If you don't have time to do it right the first time; where are you going to find the time to do it over?" Have been retired a couple of years now, so have lots of time; and about the only time I do get in a hurry is heading to the supper table. LOL

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Amen to that. Guess I could of done it a little faster; but didn't want to crowd that cheap little sander too hard, or make a mistake by rushing it. I have always been pretty patient doing things, because I want things done right; kind of a perfectipnist I guess. My Dad used to say "If you don't have time to do it right the first time; where are you going to find the time to do it over?" Have been retired a couple of years now, so have lots of time; and about the only time I do get in a hurry is heading to the supper table. LOL
You'd make a great carpet cleaner.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
but didn't want to crowd that cheap little sander too hard,

If it's the 5" round finish sander, I have one
as well as DeWalt, Ryobi and Makita

That cheap HF sander ain't bad at all believe it or not

wish I would saw this earlier

here's the sanding disks you want

available in grits from 80 to 2500.
'bout 20 bukz box of 50

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Mikey P

La.Swampfox

Name
G. D. Simmons
If it's the 5" round finish sander, I have one
as well as DeWalt, Ryobi and Makita

That cheap HF sander ain't bad at all believe it or not

wish I would saw this earlier

here's the sanding disks you want

available in grits from 80 to 2500.
'bout 20 bukz box of 50

View attachment 90974

..L.T.A.
Thanks for the reply and info. I imagine imagine your sander recommendation probably would have speeded things up some. Our local H/F store is fairly small and there are some models they don't carry, and others were not in stock. The only thing I saw in the cheap, "use-one-time-and-throw-away" range was the little "Drill Master" rectangular "1/4 sheet" orbital sander. I have mostly heard only very bad reports on their power tools. I really expected it do die from extended use, and the rock dust entering and eroding working parts. It ran for a total of about 5-1/2 hours stopping only long enough to change sandpaper. Never felt it getting hot, or smelled anything unusual. I was totally surprised and impressed; especially since it was only a little over $11.00 with their coupon. The only negative I saw was that the base was not perfectly flat and the paper was not making contact except mostly around the edges. Had to shim it and then it was working fine.

La.Swampfox

Name
G. D. Simmons
Thanks for the reply and info. I imagine imagine your sander recommendation probably would have speeded things up some. Our local H/F store is fairly small and there are some models they don't carry, and others were not in stock. The only thing I saw in the cheap, "use-one-time-and-throw-away" range was the little "Drill Master" rectangular "1/4 sheet" orbital sander. I have mostly heard only very bad reports on their power tools. I really expected it do die from extended use, and the rock dust entering and eroding working parts. It ran for a total of about 5-1/2 hours stopping only long enough to change sandpaper. Never felt it getting hot, or smelled anything unusual. I was totally surprised and impressed; especially since it was only a little over $11.00 with their coupon. The only negative I saw was that the base was not perfectly flat and the paper was not making contact except mostly around the edges. Had to shim it and then it was working fine.

Thought maybe some of you would appreciate seeing the finished product. My Son and Daughter-in-Law had painted the table with white "Chalk Paint" because that was what was "Currently in style" I guess. Decorum prevents me from saying what it looked like to me. Naturally removing the paint also destroyed the original finish. I love natural/real wood, and want to see the grain. The stripping, re-staining, and finishing; with all the turned/grooved legs was a nightmare. It took WAY LONGER than the Travertine top. That is something I have always hated and avoided at all costs. If you offer me a job on a shovel, or a paint brush; ...I'll take the shovel. LOL These shots were taken finished and in my Den, which is kind of dark with mostly indirect lighting. I was surprised that removing only a few thousandths changed the color more to the cremes, instead of the browns, in the stone; and brought out patterns that were not seen before sanding. The close-up of the little "Squiggly Lines" pattern that resembles a child's handwriting exercise, was not visible before cutting down the surface. Wish I could have found something finer than 2500 grit just to see how shiny I could have made it. Many thanks again to all of you for your help, advice, and encouragement; ....especially to "Old Coastie" and "Mikey P".

table1.jpg table2.jpg table3.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom