Percentage Of Soil Removed With A Dry Vacuum

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Whats the percentage of soil that can be removed with a dry vacuum? Wasnt it tested to like 79 Percent?

Golden Boy

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Can't imagine it's easy to test. In a typical home or my home where I vacuum 3 times a week or a laboratory that was set up for testing? If It's my home or yours there is no way anyone is going to be able to pull out that much soil.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Whats the percentage of soil that can be removed with a dry vacuum? Wasnt it tested to like 79 Percent?

Golden Boy

What's the percentage of soil that can be removed with HWE? It has to be more than 79% since a lot of soil is ground into the carpet fibers in real life. I think I heard a while back the lab soil was small pellets and not soil. If so, IMHO this would make the testing meaningless

Last edited:
Reactions: roro

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
LIke I thought it wasn't soil at all: In 2005, under The Carpet and Rug Institute’s Seal of Approval program, a new test to measure cleaning effectiveness was developed by applying the Keymaster’s XRF analyzer technology to carpets. Scientists from KeyMaster Technologies worked with Professional Testing Laboratory to design a special “soil” mixture that mimics actual soil found in carpet. The designer soil contains particles of five different types, each with a unique elemental composition. The range of particle types reflects the fact that soil composition differs in various parts of the country. Under carefully controlled conditions, laboratory testing staff use the XRF analyzer to measure the amount of soil in the carpet before and after cleaning with a vacuum or extractor

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I can vacuum a trashed carpet from now till hell freezes over with an $800.00 commercial vacuum cleaner and still pull all kinds of debri out of the carpet with the VonSchrader LMX. I can go on and on about how good the VS pulls crap out of the carpet. It is my opinion that when sand hair dander finger nails and food debri has been ground in and woven into the carpet that the best way to release this is with physical agitation combined with a foam detergent for suspension then in the same motion vacuumed away.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The test that mentions 79% was done by Proctor and Gamble, is several decades old, and it assessed the soil present in a carpet that was tested, not how much soil was removed by any particular method. Subsequent tests of carpet soil support the percentage (75-80%) being insoluble materials.

That doesn't mean that dry vacuuming will remove all of that soil. Contaminants containing oils, sugars, starches, proteins, and other materials will "glue" insolubles to the fibers, and such soils will not be readily removed by vacuuming alone.

FyreLyter

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Dillon
Oh man. I’m doing a presentation/training session at my local congregation for carpet maintenance and I needed this info. Google is great and Mikey’s board is awesome. Thanks.

lol it’s been a while since I logged in and I’m glad this is still going.

Reactions: FredC

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
I think a test would be very easy. Just get a specific amount of weight of average soil that comes from the bottom of our feet. Over here it's hair, red clay, size 57 gravel sand and dry mud combined. Spread it out evenly on the carpet and lightly pound and grind it in over a period of time to mimic traffic over it until most of it is ground in the fibers to blend in the carpet.

Then do the proper vacuuming over the carpet that is properly attached and stretched to the platform with a pad underneath and see how much weight of the soil you can pull out, then combine that weight to the weight of soil you dumped on the carpet. That should give a good number of how much the vacuum can pull out to reference.

Adding a fake pellet/soil mixture just sounds stupid

Reactions: Bryce C

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I think a test would be very easy. Just get a specific amount of weight of average soil that comes from the bottom of our feet. Over here it's hair, red clay, size 57 gravel sand and dry mud combined. Spread it out evenly on the carpet and lightly pound and grind it in over a period of time to mimic traffic over it until most of it is ground in the fibers to blend in the carpet.

Then do the proper vacuuming over the carpet that is properly attached and stretched to the platform with a pad underneath and see how much weight of the soil you can pull out, then combine that weight to the weight of soil you dumped on the carpet. That should give a good number of how much the vacuum can pull out to reference.

If you care to go back to data from 2006 MB conversations, you can probably find a great deal of debate about the test soil that Professional Testing Laboratories used to establish which machines qualified for the CRI Seal of Approval.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton

If you find yourself with absolutely nothing to do, you might want to read these comments:

Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
If you find yourself with absolutely nothing to do, you might want to read these comments:

I’m currently sitting down, eating a popsicle, watching my wife help set up for a high school graduation party that I’m supposed to be helping so I need to look like I’m looking at something important, so this will do
Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom