One protector for carpet, one for upholstery?

Mikey P

Administrator
How many of you are using the same product for bot caret and Upholstery?

I got this in the mail from Scott W..

Although upholstery fabric protectors are similar to carpet protectors, there are some important differences.

Some fabrics, especially natural fibers may bleed. Be cautious of printed patterns, deep colors, for example dark blue, deep reds, black and so forth. Some fabrics are even printed with inks instead of dyes. So, upholstery protectors must not contribute to bleeding.

Cotton and other natural fabrics can shrink if over wet or slow to dry. Although rare, it may be noticed in the skirt or flounce around the bottom of a piece. Shrinkage is unlikely to occur where the fabric is held in place by frame work, sturdy foam or similar methods. Upholstery protectors should not encourage shrinkage.

Upholstery fabrics, especially cushions, flex much more than carpet. Every time someone sits down, gets up or moves, the weight on the cushion is redistributed and the fabric flexes. Carpet protectors are brittle enough to break away from the fiber under all that motion. A fabric protector that can flex and remain adhered to the fibers will offer long-lasting protection.

Different surfactants. Carpet protectors are formulated to protect the tuft from top to bottom. An upholstery protector needs to spread evenly across the fabric, not down into the sofa or chair.

To successfully convince your clients of the benefits of an upholstery protector, you must be personally sold on the benefits. Consider applying Maxim Advanced for Upholstery to 1/2 of your favorite recliner or sofa. See how much easier it is to clean.

Quick Guide

PROCEDURE

Clean upholstery.

Select appropriate protector.

Check for colorfastness.

Mix according to label directions.

Apply with OmniPro or Pump-up sprayer.

Brush protector into fibers for even application.

Allow time to dwell and cure.

PRODUCTS NEEDED

Maxim Advanced for Upholstery with Dye-Loc

Maxim Fine Fabric

Handi-Groomer

Handi-Brush

Air Movers

PROCEDURE

STEP 1:

Thoroughly clean upholstery. Extraction cleaning using a tool that leaves the fabric relatively dry is the preferred method. Protector can also be applied to new upholstery if it was not sufficiently protected by the manufacturer.

STEP 2:

Decide on the proper protector for the job. Maxim Fine Fabric Solvent Based Fluorochemical Protector is available for those rare times when concerns about shrinkage call for limited use of water.

For most upholstery, Maxim Advanced for Upholstery with Dye-Loc provides an excellent level of protection from flexible polymers that maintain low surface energy when the upholstery is in use. The Dye-Loc eliminates concerns about bleeding. The protection is specifically directed at common upholstery problems like hair and body oils along with food and beverage spills.

STEP 3:

Apply according to label directions. A 6501 tip works well for most fabrics. A 6502 spray tip can be used with heavy fabrics. The sprayer should produce 35 - 60 PSI. This will help ensure that the Maxim Advanced for Upholstery with Dye-Loc and Maxim Fine Fabric spread across the fabric for even coverage.

STEP 4:

Use a Handi-Groomer or Handi-Brush to work the protector into the file. This step may not be required on some upholstery.

STEP 5:

Allow sufficient time to dry before using the furniture. Protectors will require up to 24 hours curing before they reach maximum effectiveness. Air movement ACROSS the fabric can reduce drying time.

NOTE

Many cleaners fail to inform the consumer that they can provide protector. At the completion of a job or when the client notices how wonderful their upholstery looks, simply remind them that protector can help their furnishings stay looking good longer.

Simple demonstrations using sales aids from your distributor can help close the sale.

CONCLUSION

I love the advancements in the formulating of Maxim Advanced for Upholstery. By eliminating worries about bleeding and shrinkage, we now can use a water carried fluorochemical protector for upholstery. Moving away from solvent carriers improves performance while helping the environment, reducing health risks to the technician and our customers. Certainly a situation where everyone wins.

Upholstery isn't the only place we had concerns about possible color bleed. Maxim Advanced for Upholstery is also an excellent product to use when providing stain protection to wool area rugs!

R

R W

Anyone here using Soil Blocker from Hardball for both carpet and upholstery?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mikey;

A solvent-based fluorochemical eliminates the concerns from water-based protectors.

Bleeding

Shrinkage

Longer Drying Times

and provides a Flexible Fluorochemical coating.

Many of our customers use it for both carpet & upholstery.

Larry

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I like the Maxim advance for nylon and wool @ different dilution ratios. Also I like The Maxim with dye blockers for upholstery and oriental area rugs. It drys fast and has elastical polymers in it fdor flexability in the fabric . This is what makes it work well especially on upholstery. Also I will use a solvent based on orientals and upholstery when I am in my shop.

Jose Smith

I use the same for both fabric and carpet. Dry solvent based, which I offer a warranty on. I would not warranty a standard water based protector.

Jose Smith

Chris A

Name
Chris
I use a water based protector on carpet for name-recognition, and a better, not so name brand solvent protector on uph.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Teflon on carpet. Teflon for wool on wool carpet. Brand X solvent-carried fluorochemical for upholstery.

Name
Ron lippold
I was talking to Mike from Hardball today and he has finally developed a completely green water based protector. He explained that everything is green even the manufacturing. All ingredients are green. Cool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom