Non-responsive insurance company - what's the next step?

Noidios

Name
Russ Zinck
Background - Loss was in April. After submitting the invoice to insurance company, they took 6 weeks to respond. I took 6 weeks to get back to them on their ridiculous offer (they wanted to pay $4400 on a $7700 invoice). My delay was a result of being so displeasured by their response, that it took me that long before I could respond without saying rude things to them. Anyway, my response to their offer was 8 weeks ago. I have sent them weekly reminders. After week 4, I recieved a response apologizing for the dwlay and that they would look at it this week, but nothing since then. I am a very small company - I'm sure their goal is to wait me out until I need the money, but that not going to happen in this case. What is my next step to get this thing settled?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Background - Loss was in April. After submitting the invoice to insurance company, they took 6 weeks to respond. I took 6 weeks to get back to them on their ridiculous offer (they wanted to pay $4400 on a $7700 invoice). My delay was a result of being so displeasured by their response, that it took me that long before I could respond without saying rude things to them. Anyway, my response to their offer was 8 weeks ago. I have sent them weekly reminders. After week 4, I recieved a response apologizing for the dwlay and that they would look at it this week, but nothing since then. I am a very small company - I'm sure their goal is to wait me out until I need the money, but that not going to happen in this case. What is my next step to get this thing settled?
Time to send a legal letter demanding payment immediately. Or go to small claims court. Make sure you have all of your documents.

Reactions: Hack Attack

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Did you get a work authorization form the insured? If so Send a prelien letter to the insured. Give the insured a heads up on the letter but email to both the carrier and insured. You can’t wait too long because in some states you only have a certain amount of time that you can file a mechanic lien on a property. Usually 90 days . Explain that due to state laws you have to exercise the option in order to protect your interest. Also your should be sending updated invoices with the late fees as well. If the carrier sees the cost going up they move quickly. Again tread lightly.

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Additionally keep in mind that most carriers have certain protocols that are usually not too messed up . It’s always better to try and work with them. The late fees usually help

Noidios

Name
Russ Zinck
No work authorization. I was hired by a property/HOA manager that I do a ton of work for. They will cut me a check the day I ask for it. I guess my question is this - if the HOA cuts me a check for the full amount of my bill, will the insurance company be obligated to repay them in full - assuming the bill was legitimate in every way?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
No.......repeated applications of roofing nails...to their parking and driveway.

.don get caught tho....

NOTE:
This video in no way endorses illegal
Activities

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
No work authorization. I was hired by a property/HOA manager that I do a ton of work for. They will cut me a check the day I ask for it. I guess my question is this - if the HOA cuts me a check for the full amount of my bill, will the insurance company be obligated to repay them in full - assuming the bill was legitimate in every way?
The property manager is the customer, not the insurance co. Therefore it’s not your problem if the insurance doesn’t pay them when they submit your invoice after the PM pays you.

Name
Jeff T
The property manager is the customer, not the insurance co. Therefore it’s not your problem if the insurance doesn’t pay them when they submit your invoice after the PM pays you.
EXACTLY....
As some say....
‘IDGAS, sounds like a personal problem, F-YOU PAY ME’!!!!!!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
First you must convince them that you feel much better after that last
Anger management course......and
The manager has healed quite well since you went off your nut and pummeled him profusely and you're
Fairly sure you've cured your anger
Issues...

Reactions: Cleanworks

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Maybe the insurance company paid the PM and the PM is hiding that piece of information so they don't have to pay you?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Pay a lawyer to write a nice little letter to the PM. You'll get paid very soon after they read that letter

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Submit the invoice to the PM, get paid, and let them deal with the insurance company. They have more leverage than you do. Now that you're past 60 and 75 days since work has been completed, you have less leverage with the PM to get paid as you can't lien if you would need to.

Reactions: Fat Mike

U. S. VET.

Name
U. S. VET.
Did you get a work authorization form the insured? If so Send a prelien letter to the insured. Give the insured a heads up on the letter but email to both the carrier and insured. You can’t wait too long because in some states you only have a certain amount of time that you can file a mechanic lien on a property. Usually 90 days . Explain that due to state laws you have to exercise the option in order to protect your interest. Also your should be sending updated invoices with the late fees as well. If the carrier sees the cost going up they move quickly. Again tread lightly.
Went to IICRC ~ Vegas for recertifications ~ learned something in insurance legality ~ terms & conditions ~ that made me make immediate changes to my WD contract.

Your contract needs to authorize direct payment from the insurance company to you.

The new contract stipulates that payment is owed by the client to “your co.“ immediately upon completion or termination of services; “your co. will bill their ins. co. as a courtesy to them.

Work authorization just “authorized“ you to get busy ~ not paid.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We did a $100k plus job for a hospital. Offered a 3% discount if paid in full within 10 days. They jumped on it, paid us.

A month later we get a cocky adjuster calling wanting to discuss our "bid". We told him we would be glad to, but two things. 1, it was an invoice for work completed, 2 we were paid in full a month ago.

He said "oh, thank you" and hung up. lol

I'd call get the email address of the senior claims adjuster. Email him the whole story and where you are today. Tell him you want his assistance in getting it resolved. If it can't your only recourse is going to have to be with his insured. Let him know you'll be waiting on his response.

P.S. No I do not believe if the insured pays you they must reimburse them in full. We bid on a large water damage loss that ended up being covered by flood insurance. When we heard it was flood insurance we told them we were not interested in doing the work.

We explained we had several dealings with flood insurance and we always came up short and were not paid for services delivered. The homeowner wanted us saying she would pay us and collect from them.

We warned her they would probably short her she said she didn't care, she wanted is to do the work. She paid us, and later told us they shorted her 3k on a 12k bill. They also paid none of their labor and none of their appliances.

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
We did a $100k plus job for a hospital. Offered a 3% discount if paid in full within 10 days. They jumped on it, paid us.

A month later we get a cocky adjuster calling wanting to discuss our "bid". We told him we would be glad to, but two things. 1, it was an invoice for work completed, 2 we were paid in full a month ago.

He said "oh, thank you" and hung up. lol

I'd call get the email address of the senior claims adjuster. Email him the whole story and where you are today. Tell him you want his assistance in getting it resolved. If it can't your only recourse is going to have to be with his insured. Let him know you'll be waiting on his response.

P.S. No I do not believe if the insured pays you they must reimburse them in full. We bid on a large water damage loss that ended up being covered by flood insurance. When we heard it was flood insurance we told them we were not interested in doing the work.

We explained we had several dealings with flood insurance and we always came up short and were not paid for services delivered. The homeowner wanted us saying she would pay us and collect from them.

We warned her they would probably short her she said she didn't care, she wanted is to do the work. She paid us, and later told us they shorted her 3k on a 12k bill. They also paid none of their labor and none of their appliances.
Sounds like American Unreliable LOL

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They set their own rates. Arbitrary rules for drying, no heat. Arbitrary drying days paid, not whether the materials are dry or not.

Got bit twice by that dog and finally learned not to get involved with them.

Reactions: Fat Mike

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
They set their own rates. Arbitrary rules for drying, no heat. Arbitrary drying days paid, not whether the materials are dry or not.

Got bit twice by that dog and finally learned not to get involved with them.
It’s funny some say only 3day pay for dry times! Really not what my meter says.
Came in on a recon couple weeks ago before demo and pack out was done.

walked it with mit company. Dude they didn’t hard cut anything open. They’re were instructed by their manage to pack up after three days.

I got in there and said what??? Called the adjuster after I measured moisture. Had the mit company come back out and demo properly. Dude tried to argu with me his meter said dry, well duh not like your little pin meter is very invasive now is it.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom