New TM Setup

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Hello,

I am looking to setup a TM and would appreciate any input/thoughts on my setup. Here are some factors that are important to me:
  • Heat - I would like something that has sufficient power for carpet and tile, in both residential and commercial settings.
    • What would be a good number to aim for (at the machine)?
  • Vacuum - I would be looking at running up to 250 ft of hose, so something with high suction.
  • Reliability
  • Serviceable - I live in South Florida, so I'm looking for a brand that can be serviced in the region.

With all of that said, there are a couple of other important factors I would like to share:
  • I am not interested in purchasing a used TM. I'd like to oversee care, and maintenance, of the unit from day one. I am looking at new units, only.
  • This being a new business, I am not in a financial position to purchase a new machine and a new vehicle. Since there are far more mechanics than there are service repairman for TM's I've elected to take the gamble on purchasing the vehicle as used (vehicle to be purchased). I also read that PTOs can only be installed in vehicles that are less than 2 years old, which excludes PTOs/Direct drives from the conversation as I cannot purchase a new TM and a new vehicle.
Based on the aforementioned, I'm not sure which unit would be best for my use case. Any input on slide-ins, and which unit and why, you would suggest, is welcome!

Edit: I would like to add that I'm looking for a unit that can do the following: Carpets, Tile/Grout, Water Extraction, Air Ducts

Thanks!

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
To maintain heat, you need a tm with the blower size no lower than the 48 or 4008 size blower since you're cleaning tile. Reliability needs a minimum of Kubota 3cylinder engine. Stay away from air cooled. And serviceable, leave out the fresh water tank if you decide to get a van. It gets in the way of comfortably servicing the machine.

Reactions: Living The Dream

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
To maintain heat, you need a tm with the blower size no lower than the 48 or 4008 size blower since you're cleaning tile. Reliability needs a minimum of Kubota 3cylinder engine. Stay away from air cooled. And serviceable, leave out the fresh water tank if you decide to get a van. It gets in the way of comfortably servicing the machine.
I know you mentioned to stay away from air cooled but liquid cooled adds another few grand, which right now, if possible, I'd like to avoid. I'm considering the below two units and would love your input: These are the two units: TCS Chief II Truckmount and TCS Chief Truckmount.

A few points/questions on these:

1.) Both are propane units, which I've never worked with, so I don't know what I don't know about propane. Anything I should know? (Cost factor, safety, any special permits required to transport these in my van?)

2.) Chief is rated at 120k BTU and Chief II is rated at 180k BTU.... what does this actually mean for temperature difference at the machine? At the wand?

3.) 331 CFM vs 495 CFM - How much of a difference does this make? Especially when it comes to hose runs.

4.) Honda vs Kohler - I am personally a very big fan of Honda engines, and am not familiar with Kohler. How reliable are they?

5.) On the topic of reliability, how reliable are the TCS units?

6.) How easy is it to service TCS? I am in the South Florida market.

7.) My goal is to do carpet, tile, upholstery, air ducts, and water extraction.... will the Chief and Chief II both be capable of doing this?

Edit: 8.) I don't see any info. on chemical injections for these.... are these final step chemical injections? I don't see any information on a chemical reservoir tank for these.

Thank you,

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
If the 250' is needed for apartment work ok. If it's for deep into a building commercial, you've be better off offer a VLM process than buying a truck that can be effective that far out

• Haha
Reactions: BIG WOOD

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
45 blowers and 250 hose runs don't either..
The Chief 1 has the 45 blower, so that won't work then.... What about the Chieft 2? (My apologies in advance if my questions sound dumb... I'm new and am trying to learn)

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
If the 250' is needed for apartment work ok. If it's for deep into a building commercial, you've be better off offer a VLM process than buying a truck that can be effective that far out
Yes, it would be for apartments/residential... most of my business will be that.

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
...and a question I have for both units: I don't see any info. on chemical injections for these.... are these final step chemical injections? I don't see any information on a chemical reservoir tank for these.

hogjowl

Idiot™
@hogjowl should know, he had some of those units
I’m previously a long term (25 year) user of TCS units. They’re well made fairly dependable units and they’re easy to work on. Their weak point is the engine. No matter what make, I’ve never been able to get more then 3500 hours out of one before replacing. 2500 hrs was not unusual. I think it’s the heat inside the van that kills them. Propane burner right beside them doesn’t help.
South Florida heat is concerning.

Mikey P

Administrator
I’m previously a long term (25 year) user of TCS units. They’re well made fairly dependable units and they’re easy to work on. Their weak point is the engine. No matter what make, I’ve never been able to get more then 3500 hours out of one before replacing. 2500 hrs was not unusual. I think it’s the heat inside the van that kills them. Propane burner right beside them doesn’t help.
My Kohler 23hp doesn't care for summers here either..

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
what's your budget allow for a new TM?
$25K?
$30K+

The Chief 1 has the 45 blower, so that won't work then

donno how far driveways from the entrance are, nor the size of the haciendas in your hood, but 250ft hose is pretty rare need up here for res.
100 to 150 ft is more the norm for "normal" res

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Swani
Call Sammy at Steamaction. He's a straight shooter and makes some very awesome and dependable machines.

Duct work with a TM is tough because it is hard on your blower. You can run a dust downer, but you are still better off getting a dedicated duct cleaning setup.

If I were you and just beginning, I would focus on carpets and tile, and add duct work at a later date. JMO

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Honestly, that is my hesitation as well. The Chief II is Kohler but the Chief 1 is a Honda engine. I know Honda engines are a class of their own, and because of that I'm considering the Chief I. That said here, are some questions I have for the Chief I:

1) Will 120,000 BTU's suffice? I have trouble understanding what BTU's translates to actual heat, both at the machine, and at the wand.
2.) As @Mikey P mentioned earlier, 250' may be asking much.... will I be able to comfortably run 200' of hose with the Chief I?
3) Will the Chief I be capable of carpet, tile/grout, and water extraction? (I am omitting air ducts per earlier posts from other members on this thread).

Overall, would you recommend the Chief I for what my cleaning needs are? Is there another unit that is comparable that you would recommend over this?

Thank you in advance!
Alex

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
what's your budget allow for a new TM?
$25K?
$30K+

donno how far driveways from the entrance are, nor the size of the haciendas in your hood, but 250ft hose is pretty rare need up here for res.
100 to 150 ft is more the norm for "normal" res

..L.T.A.
Thank you for your post. I am looking to keep the package to under $30 with hoses, reels, taxes, etc.... However, if I can get something significantly better for another 3-5k, I would be open to it. Would love to hear your recommedations.

Yes, 150' seems pretty norm, but I've had the odd job that has required 200 ft because of where the vehicle was parked. 250 is rare

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Call Sammy at Steamaction. He's a straight shooter and makes some very awesome and dependable machines.

Duct work with a TM is tough because it is hard on your blower. You can run a dust downer, but you are still better off getting a dedicated duct cleaning setup.

If I were you and just beginning, I would focus on carpets and tile, and add duct work at a later date. JMO
I really appreciate your input, and I completely agree! Air ducts will have to be left off for now, but hopefully one day can be added on. Is there a unit that you would recommend, given the nature of what I'm in the market for? Really looking for something that can do carpet, tile/grout, water extraction, and has both great heat and suction.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Would love to hear your recommedations.

been out of the trenches too long to know the warts and quirts of current builds...so can't offer informed specific recommendations

Under $30k with gear, tax and install OTD though, I reckon will rule out most (all?) of the "big name" manufactures.
you'll be looking at smaller independent outfits like Judson, TCS, Steamaction, Cobb, Amtex, etc

Yes, 150' seems pretty norm, but I've had the odd job that has required 200 ft because of where the vehicle was parked. 250 is rare

you're over thinking it.
90%+ will be 150ft and less
You'd be foolish to rule out a 45 blower TM .
a 45 spun up to 3000+ rpm @14hg ain't chop liver
and even at 250ft has more suck than any porty

...L.T.A.

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
For your first truck mount, especially a slide in, I have three suggestions

1. (Realtively) local service

2. (Relatively) local service

3. (Relatively) local service

Unless you are mechanically inclined or have a relative or friend who is, navigating the intricacies of electric, plumbing, pressure, vacuum, chemical injection, and heating systems can be daunting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom