New Member conducting some market research

Hi All,

I apologize in advance, I am just brain storming and I think so fast sometime that what I type out doesn’t make full sense or the spelling looks like a 3rd grader proof-read it. LOL

My name is Jarrett and I am Strategic Contingency Entrepreneur. What does that mean, basically I work with businesses and help them strategically grow their businesses through marketing and creative ventures, all on a contingency bases.

I recently picked up a client that has a remarkable stain/odor product that he has been trying to grassroots market to pet stores. It is going well and the feedback is remarkable from the customers who have bought and used the product. They even have independent video testimonial from a news channel that tested the product and confirmed it worked great.

I am looking at his business from a different angle and think there might be a market potential 'white labeling' the product to carpet cleaning businesses. In other words "Jon's Carpet Cleaning & Restoration" can have it's own brand of spotters to give/sell to clients.

I don't know a whole lot about your industry so I joined to read, learn and ask questions. So any and all feedback is appreciated.

Here is what I am thinking in short...
When I sit down with clients the first thing I explain to them is that there is only 3 ways to grow a business; 1) More Clients, 2) Larger Transaction Price, or 3) More Frequent Transactions.

Most business owner’s focus on number #1, they just keep looking for new clients. What I try to do as soon as I take on a new client is try to create or add another backend product to sell to the good clients that have already bought from you.

This is all going to make sense here in a sec, hang with me. I read around some on the forum and in the marketing/advertising sub-forum there was some post about “people don’t even remember the name of the company that cleaned their carpet a week ago”.

My thoughts are simply this;
• My client develops a line of 1-3 products that are ‘white label’ specifically for carpet cleaners; say a spotter/odor remover, a pet specific spotter/odor remover, and a automotive carpet/stain odor remover.
• We work with individual carpet cleaning companies (you guys) and custom design the labels for your companies. You now have your own line of backend products to sell.
• What this does is:
1. Gives your company more credibility, as you appear to be a large successful company if you have your own line of products.
2. Act as your business card in their cabinet. When they have a little spot, they clean it with your product, a big spot they can’t get out, and your name, phone number and website is right on the bottle. This is your ‘practical and useful’ version of a refrigerator magnet.
3. It can be an added revenue stream for your company. You may only clean their carpet once or twice a year but they may go through 4-6 bottles of spotter a year. If you can make $7/bottle profit that is $28-$42 of addition revenue a year per client with no more work or man power.
• My thought would be to go to your cleaning calls like usual, at the end of the cleaning you thank them for choosing you (let’s say: XYZ Cleaning) for their business and explain to them wanted them to know you are there for them whenever they need your service, and that you also want to be there ‘on-call’ to help them day-to-day with the small stains they may encounter so you have a special gift for them; 1 bottle of ‘XYZ’s Stain & Odor Remover’. Point out that it will help them with all their small needs, but if they can’t get it out with the spotter, all your contact info is right there on the bottle and that you would be more than happy to come back out and take care of it for them.

My client’s retail clients are selling this stuff retail for $16.95-24.95 for a 32oz spray bottle. Price to wholesale distributors is about $8.50 with his standard label, I am going to propose he drops the price some so that we can get it to carpet cleaning companies with their own custom labels for the same price; custom labels run about $.35-.50/each depending on the quantity. So cleaners would have access to their own custom line of backend products for about $8.50 that they can retail for $16.95-$19.95, and we carry the risk of the end customer’s money back guarantee if they aren’t satisfied.
One of the other good things about private labels is that if they are personal (say your vet, Dr. White, had his own line of pet shampoo that was 100% guaranteed to work) people pay a premium over some at product at the grocery store that they don’t know if it works or isn’t guaranteed.

I know there is a lot here, but I wanted to give the whole big picture so that we can get some honest feedback.
What do you think? Do you think this product would help customers remember your company and call you back for repeat service? What about just as an additional revenue stream

Thanks in advance for your honest responses!

Jarrett

I have seen that Jon Don and Vacaway stuff.

What is the specific intent of those who are giving away custom label spotters upfront?
I would think the two most important things to clients would be that 1) display a professional image. Stereotypes are not right, but people draw conclusions based on perception. And 2) that the product works, so they use again and again and keep your companies name in front of them.

Anyone have any experience marketing this way and have figures?
How it converts and increases the lifetime value of a client?
How are they using spotters or any ‘custom branded’ product to get and keep their name in front of customers?
Also, are they getting repeat sales on the 'gifted' product, people use it and want to order more?

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I heard the guys at truckmount forums have been searching for a product just like that.

http://www.***************s.com/forums/

Let me see if I can get a sample size of the pet stain/odor remover put together for anyone who is interested. I am not familiar with this board, can you PM me your contact info here? If so, I will put a list together of interested companies and get something together for you to try.

the deal is: I'll give samples, ya'll give me feedback for my research. Fair?

Back
Top Bottom