New guy looking to learn.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I agree with DJ, driving,backing,parking a trailer is a pita. You'll want a van with some type of cleaning unit mounted in it. The boxer 421 in the trailer is not a bad unit if it is good shape and can be transferred to a van. The slide in units like the boxer are a good starter unit and can be transferred from van to van, enabling you to start with a used van at a lower cost. A cds (clutch drive system) is a good option if you are working in sketchy areas. You can lock up these vans while the cleaning unit is running, with the slide ins, you can't. Avoid all the cheap, small units utilizing #3 blowers, (roots 33/36, sutorbilt 3lp etc) although they will give you good performance at short hose runs (150ft) if you need to use longer hoses, your performance is limited. 20-25hp minimum. New, something like a Sapphire 370 is a nice way to go. Not the most powerful or expensive but will get the job done. No matter how powerful your cleaning unit, you need a good upright vacuum cleaner and something like a rotary floor machine (175rpm) or better a crb like a brushpro to preagitate the presprayed carpet before you clean. There lot's of guys on this board who will give you their opinions and advice freely like me. Remember, free advice is worth every penny you paid for it. Look around, check your competition, make a plan, set a budget and go for it. You will makes lots of mistakes, so what, if you learn from them, you're money ahead.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
It's to all of our benefit to help out new carpet cleaners, even in our local market. I have been recently helping out a Large department store style cleaning service. Giving advice on basic chemistry, staff training and equipment purchases. Why? He is going to do it anyways (new to the business but taking over an existing opportunity) and I would have him and his employees giving good service for a decent price, rather than doing a hack job and giving our industry a black eye. He won't be able to compete with me and as a benefit, I am also getting work from him that he doesn't feel able to do at present. I often help out local carpet cleaners and even share work with them sometimes. It's better that we all get along, than be at each others throats.
Bingo! Bad cleaners give us good ones a bad name. They scare people away from getting their carpets cleaned. Helping others get started right is a great way of supporting our industry.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree but it's a good price and that burner will help him with the shit holes he is going to run into. Steamway was pretty strong in the Midwest he might still find someone with some knowledge about those units.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
unless he's handy with a wrench, he'd be better off with a new machine. I've been busting knuckles for years on my old piles of junk but they keep running. A heat exchange machine would probably be the best but he needs to go to a dealer and have some basic training on it and what kind of problems it can have. Overheating/bypass problems etc. Anything he buys should be checked out by the same dealer. Just like if you buy an old car, get your mechanic to check it out, BEFORE you buy. The alternative is a cds like a Butler/Cleanco/Hydramaster etc. Quicker learning curve.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
Lol! Yeah....I mean, there are people who are doing great with the whole apartment thing but it ain't for me, that's for sure! As for the trailer?! I'd shoot myself before going that route!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I agree but it's a good price and that burner will help him with the shit holes he is going to run into. Steamway was pretty strong in the Midwest he might still find someone with some knowledge about those units.
I'm trying to resurrect the kero burner on one of my units. I have used them in the past and awesome heat just scares the dirt right of the carpets. I have a sutorbilt legend 3ll blower on it. I was just comparing it to the ss370. That advertises (if I am correct and please correct me if I'm wrong) 315cfm. My 3ll advertises 270 both at 14hg. 45cfm difference, are you going to notice that?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

wanabpro

Name
luke michael
Maybe it would be best if he just stayed out of the business.
Probably.....:hopeless:

Great info here guys and gals!

I found a butler
2005 Butler System / 2005 GMC 3500

Its not too far from me, asking $16500.. It just says its ready to clean, doesnt mention any tools, ect...

I have much to learn and some hands on before I make any type of purchase. That being said, good deals are hard to pass up.. I just need to learn what a good deal is in this new world they call cleaning...

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
It looks really nice, which is important.

Maybe someone here has experience with the Peak??

Prochem is one of the most respected names in cc equipment.

If it's a Savannah 1500, it'll be a little underpowered but this is Iowa!

It's extended which is nice

wanabpro

Name
luke michael
I think it's a 2500 v8. Yea I am beginning to acknowledge the better brands..

$$$$$$$$$$!

Reactions: Russ T.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Probably.....:hopeless:

Great info here guys and gals!

I found a butler
2005 Butler System / 2005 GMC 3500

Its not too far from me, asking $16500.. It just says its ready to clean, doesnt mention any tools, ect...

I have much to learn and some hands on before I make any type of purchase. That being said, good deals are hard to pass up.. I just need to learn what a good deal is in this new world they call cleaning...
When you at the prices on the butler website' this one for 16500 looks like it might be a good deal. All depends on the hours and the miles. If you can get checked out mechanically, I would go for that. If it's in good shape, you should be good for another 10 years with proper maintenance.

Reactions: Russ T.

Mikey P

Administrator
Testing the HX system would need to be done in person. Set the unit up and get it up to temp and start triggering the wand. Let it run for a half hour or more and then check for leaks, everywhere..

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If it sits out in the cold any water in the system can freeze and damage major components. If you decide on it, it would be worth have a TM mechanic look it over. Contact 8nterlink in Omaha and see how much they would charge you to check it out.

Any issues I'd want taken off the selling price.

wanabpro

Name
luke michael
If it sits out in the cold any water in the system can freeze and damage major components. If you decide on it, it would be worth have a TM mechanic look it over. Contact 8nterlink in Omaha and see how much they would charge you to check it out.

Great info! I was just on their site looking around. I will give both of them a call in the AM and check.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom