new carpet giving off an odor?

Mike Draper

A client of mine called and said they think the 3 week old carpet in their home in making them sick. They wanted to know if cleaning would make it better? I told them I'm not sure, because I dont know what is making them sick and if cleaning would change anything? Have you guys heard of this? Opinion on what you think it is please....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You could try an air scrubber with an Odorklenz cartridge in it and see if that doesn't help them out.

Yes new carpet and furniture can off gas to a point it can make you feel sick. We once had a bedroom set that smelled so bad when new it gave my wife and I headaches.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
What Richard said, or air flow and a lot of ventilation. I hated doing roll crush job, because the new smell and off gassing makes me nauseous. It will eventually stop, some rugs with latex can do the same.

RickL

mike I had the exact same thing at a large commercial customer of mine. Probably 200 sq ft of carpet the "off gassing" from the glue was creating a problem and people were complaining of headaches and sickness. They called me to clean I went in and when we opened the door it was real strong, after the door was open for a while it wasn't as bad. real obviouse that the air was not circulating enough to ventalate the room. I told them it didn't need cleaning they told me to go a head and clean anyway, which I did. I then instructed them to get a fan in the room to constantly recircualte the air. The fan fixed the problem, however they are convinced that it was the cleaning and now call me to clean any new carpet they install, which in a facility this size is quite often. Gotta love cleaning clean carpet
So I would have them check the filters in their furnace, run the furnace fan in the on position and clean if they insiste or ifv you feel comfortable clean it anyway as an added precaution and to show you've done all you can.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We've done lots of cleaning to get rid of "new carpet smell."

You can debate whether that's due to heating the carpet with hot water, or forcing air directly through the nap with the wand, or the carpet completing off-gassing between the time the appointment was made and the cleaning was done, but it works.

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
Scott Warrington sent me a report on that today, it was written by Jeff Bishop, I couldn't figure out how to post it here but if you want it pm me with your email and I'll send it to you.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
had a wool install that really smelled. i convinced her to wait a few months but that didn't help. we cleaned it but the smell remained. it's been over a year and last i heard it still smelled. the manufacture said it was fine. it definitely had a strange smell .

gene

Billy

Name
BH
We clean a few Brand new Installs a year because of new carpet smell. So far client has always said it worked. We also get asked to clean Brand New Mattresses & Upholstery for smells.

First time a client asked us to clean new carpet I was very confused but we did it.

Billy

Name
BH
Lee Stockwell said:
My wife washes new shirts before I can wear them.

Maybe other people are a little crazy like me?

Lee You know how OCD my wife is & she always washes all new clothes we get as well as sheets etc.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Yeah, new carpet gives off gases and in closed areas that dies not circulate air well it can be a problem. We do a few different churches and one that had an expansion to there sanctuary had new carpet installed and they had this exact problem. This is a huge sanctuary!

We have not cleaned it all yet, only spotted areas as it's so new. We were asked if it would help and I was not sure? So they used those ozone producing air cleaners that smell metallic to me. I hate them! They have absolutely no air flow in that huge area. Now I will let them know that cleaning can help or maybe even solve it.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Those calls come pretty often. Ventilation is what they really need. Should be acclimated and unrolled in a garage or such for a few days before the install.

But clean with hot water, no chemical. Plenty of ventilation. The Odor Klenz cartridge works great to quickly remove the odors. Use it during and right after cleaning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom