Mold on Cotton Octopus Rug

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Hello brain trust. Looking for a little advice. I have this 100% cotton rug with mildew spots. The backing is canvas covered latex. I intend to clean it as normal with a wool safe chem and acid rinse. I have terrible luck getting black mildew out of stuff. Whats the secret? peroxide? Oxy? Any help would be much appreciated.

672005A8-9688-4130-8EDF-49FA6120E060.jpeg9383380E-C704-4D15-8C55-DF5D7EA009DA.jpeg9A9B75A7-E35D-4E4B-B003-FF6D0AE80CE0.jpegB93613A5-B664-4037-AB18-00FE43D62E72.jpeg

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I know this isn't what you're looking for Damon

But

Why?

Is the rug's real or sentimental value so high that it is worth trying to fix this issue?

I have no doubt that you advised them that anything you'll do is cosmetic, and any health associated risks will remain

Reactions: Cleanworks

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Jim. You hit it. I told the guy it probably wasn’t worth cleaning. I said if he had an emotional attachment to the rug I would be happy to clean it but could not guarantee removal of the mildew stains. He agreed to the cleaning price and said go for it. Got any suggestions?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Jim. You hit it. I told the guy it probably wasn’t worth cleaning. I said if he had an emotional attachment to the rug I would be happy to clean it but could not guarantee removal of the mildew stains. He agreed to the cleaning price and said go for it. Got any suggestions?

I will assume you've covered yourself from as much liability as possible (especially considering how much more exposure you have in your land of litigiousness...)

You could try a cleaner that contains an oxidizer, such as an encap with 02 or OxyBuff Cotton Shampoo, but in my experience neither types of product do much to impact that level of damage.

I'd pass just based on the fact that working on something that will hardly look better upon completion is less than emotionally rewarding.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I will assume you've covered yourself from as much liability as possible (especially considering how much more exposure you have in your land of litigiousness...)

You could try a cleaner that contains an oxidizer, such as an encap with 02 or OxyBuff Cotton Shampoo, but in my experience neither types of product do much to impact that level of damage.

I'd pass just based on the fact that working on something that will hardly look better upon completion is less than emotionally rewarding.
Well then. You are not invited to my mildew party.

Lol thanks Jim.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I’m going to try some white vinegar. Just got done hand washing a Kilim rug and now working on a big wool rug.

2BBF71F2-FEDB-4AA6-9C39-524CC194D4D4.jpeg

Reactions: Mike J

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
5% MAX

Treat, expose it to sunlight, let dry, repeat until desired look

12% is too aggressive for natural fiber rugs
Too aggressive for wool rugs, a little safer on cotton. It may weaken the fiber but it also may help in removing the mold stain. Last resort method, not something I would do on a regular basis.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Nothing's going to work. You're welcome.

If it were not cotton, or printed, or an octopus, maybe. Or wasn't a piece of cotton fabric glued to a cotton backing with adhesive that will wick yellow up through the face.

Clean it first and see what happens. The yellow adhesive and print will make the rest of the discussion moot.

Or, wow the poop out of the guy by dropping $42 bucks on a new one on Etsy. blue octopus rug

PS: Just to not be 100% negative... Some have had good fortune using CLO2 on moldy synthetic outdoor cushions, seems I remember some discussion here about that product. Give it a try if the print doesn't bleed.

PPS: I know the link is to a smaller rug. The big one should be $84.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If you buy him a new one, do yourself a favor and use a stain protectant on it so it will be easier to deal with next time.

Of course, you're teaching this customer that, no matter how mistreated, you'll make a terrible rug look like new. Good luck living up to that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom