Mold Found

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I found mold all long my walls in my rental property. We just moved into this place 2 weeks ago, and did not see anything before, and the area that has mold is an area which does not have any furniture as we just moved in, my rommate and I.

The affected areas that i can see are 8 feet by 5 feet tall and about 6 feet by 5-6 feet on the joining wall. It's on the corner wall. There was no water damage in the home, floors look dry however i can see the paint is peeling off and looks "wet" in some sections as well. I've noticed the grout lines also have water on them, i'm assuming the water is rain water at this point not sure.

Our landlord built the home and also did the tile floors, so i wanted to get a company that speciliazes in mold remediation prior to bringing up the subject. I feel as he might want to do this himself as well. Have a local company that i network with that does mold inspection since im not qualified for it, gonna give them a call monday am see if they can come take a look. I'm posting here to see what you guys recommend i do, should i be worry as far as avoiding the section, etc.

I'll post pictures soon.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Pic taken with the crackberry. I'll have some closeups later on.

IMG00279-20090627-1945.jpg

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
What is on the other side of these two walls :?: :?:

Are either wall an outside wall :?: :?:

If so, do they face the weather ??

By this, I mean when it rains, do these walls cop the rain where it may penetrate the walls :?: :?:

Could there be an internal leak from a water source on the other side, (or inside), these walls :?: :?:

You say the paint is peeling off, how about the paint along the top of the skirting boards :?: :?:

Has it cracked there, leaving a small gap in the paint between the top of the skirting board and the wall :?: :?:

Do you have a moisture meter or sensor to determine any moisture in the walls or skirting boards :?: :?:

Ooroo,

:roll:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Shorty Down Under said:
What is on the other side of these two walls :?: :?:

Are either wall an outside wall :?: :?:

If so, do they face the weather ??

By this, I mean when it rains, do these walls cop the rain where it may penetrate the walls :?: :?:

Could there be an internal leak from a water source on the other side, (or inside), these walls :?: :?:

You say the paint is peeling off, how about the paint along the top of the skirting boards :?: :?:

Has it cracked there, leaving a small gap in the paint between the top of the skirting board and the wall :?: :?:

Do you have a moisture meter or sensor to determine any moisture in the walls or skirting boards :?: :?:

Ooroo,

:roll:

I'm having a water damage guy friend of mine come out and do some testing. But yes those walls would face to the outside walls...but there is also mold on the ceilings in various places on the opposite corner of the walls. Basically in many different areas you can see mold spreading but as far as the walls just the one section i described.

Dude... its not the end of the world....humidity is too high...crank the heat, open a window, get some chlorine bleach and a rag...wipe it down...mold will disappear.....go on with your life.... :wink:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
We put a dehu in the living room, i figured its not the end of the world just wanted to see if we should take any caution or if it's a major problem. The room always feels very damp and the tile in one of the rooms is wet, so one of the mattresses is wet as well. Just looks like there's a few issues going on but im not a pro at this.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Hey Bill good to see you,

First and foremost you want to figure out how the water/moisture is intruding into the property. Once you can determine that, then the loss can start to be mitigated. No use in mitigating the loss and having a continual problem.

Without causing issue and making the landlord you enemy, you should definitely talk to the land lord and inform them of the problem. You could mention having and environmental hygienist to test to see what levels of possible mold are present. They(the IH) could also write the protocol to mitigate the loss back to pre-loss condition. Be sure to request pre and post testing.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Thanks Steven - i'll pass that over to the landlord tomorrow and see what will happen.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Looks like we're moving out. Landlord is fine with it and knows the procedure to effectively remidiate this.

Thanks for the help.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Does this mean hes going to fix it or no ?

Let me rephrase that, is he going to "fix it" or FIX IT ?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
He says he will but how quickly? Who knows. I just don't want to be here for it and i'm getting my deposit back as well. Now the second lovely part is looking for another place in such short notice. Gotta move back if our parents till we have a place, it's my roommate and i.

cbcsi

I would bet that the landlord will repaint with kilz and then a coat of his normal paint and move in the next tenant that doesn't mind or notice the microbial roommates.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
What Chad said. That's what happened in the 1st place. That's why you didn't notice when you moved in, he'd painted over it. It just started showing through a couple weeks later.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
That was what I was going to say.

If he doesn't want to go through doing what is really necessary I would get you and your family out of there.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
We're out. It's me and my roommate. My family have their own place.

God my deposit back and cancelled out the lease.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
cbcsi said:
I would bet that the landlord will repaint with kilz and then a coat of his normal paint and move in the next tenant that doesn't mind or notice the microbial roommates.

I think they have a class that teaches rental owners how to fix mold this way :lol:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Larry B said:
I think they have a class that teaches rental owners how to fix mold this way :lol:

Good PR, why not initiate and hold a class for landlords on how to remedy mold like this? Or does that take work away from remediators?
Maybe an awareness class so they know WHEN to bring someone in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom