LVP failure

Mikey P

Administrator
The contractor glued each LV-Plank to the concrete subfloor "because I've always done it this way"..

6 months old.. PXL_20240105_185758641.jpgPXL_20240105_185817499.jpgPXL_20240105_185834383.jpg

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
if that's glue down plank and not floating clicklok, where did the installer screw the pooch?

wrong glue or material wasn't acclimated?

..L.T.A.

FredC

Village Idiot
What caused this damage ?

Hard to say. IDK if "that damn installer glued them down not allowing for expansion" is the answer though. Are they actually click-locks (like mikey said) or one of the many LVP planks that use either a glue down or pressure sensitive adhesive?

That is cupping and ultimately the cause is moisture (bottom absorbing it and expanding). Since it appears to be on the main level (on-grade concrete) I'm more inclined to believe it is subfloor moisture causing the issue. That may or may not still be an installer issue because the moisture content should be checked (<4% usually)and for some products the floor "sealed"/moisture barrier/adhesive. Possibly too wet adhesive.

*assuming other recommendations like acclimation were followed

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Are they actually click-locks (like mikey said) or one of the many LVP planks that use either a glue down or pressure sensitive adhesive?

I'd expect even a midwit like Mike would know if clickloc or not...

my best "guess" is cold material that spent a high desert winter night or three in the van and pulled right from the van to the floor.
and/or possibly a cold weather install before the HVAC was operable/running in a rush to complete a rehab
(been there/done that..."once" ) :icon_redface::dejection::hopeless:

Installed over uncured concrete is possible too, but think that less likely

..L.T.A.

FredC

Village Idiot
I'd expect even a midwit like Mike would know if clickloc or not...

my best "guess" is cold material that spent a high desert winter night or three in the van and pulled right from the van to the floor.
and/or possibly a cold weather install before the HVAC was operable/running in a rush to complete a rehab
(been there/done that..."once" ) :icon_redface::dejection::hopeless:

Installed over uncured concrete is possible too, but think that less likely

..L.T.A.

It's moisture...

you wouldn't get that degree of cupping with weather related temperature/humidity changes imo

moisture moves through cured concrete (capillary action)...purpose of vapor barrier/sealing

as far as "click lock" I mean that the planks are only allowed to be floating/ gluing them is not allowed (like LifeProof)....this is not the case for all "click-lock" lvp products

float.jpg

*most are float only but we don't know what product was used

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
I wasn't called in to address the situation, I nearly asked questions to the owner of the biz.

His landlord and contractor are battling it out .

Owners says click lock, no moisture barrier, over 40+to concrete, no leaks or flooding, damage is in select areas, appears to have an odd non vinyl but not MDF core to it based on my digging up a corner after he left.

I told him to get a third party inspector but he didn't want to rock to boat, just yet

Reactions: Dolly Llama
Name
Nate W.
I'm certified in Concrete Moisture Testing and you won't find a ph less than 9..

I bet they didn't moisture test prior to installation, so ultimately it's the installers fault even if you have the homeowner sign a wavier.. The court will say "you are the professional".. I've seen it play out time and time again..

If a moisture testing isn't performed prior to installation, kiss the manufacture warranty goodbye..

Mikey P

Administrator
This valley is so peterified the only way it's the concret is if there is a very odd spring below that very spot, which is possible, small srpings are all over, letting the pressure off Lake Tahoe, I suppose...

Name
Nate W.
Most likely doesn't have a fully functioning vapor barrier under the slab.. It degrades over time between 25-30yrs.. Our soil is slightly acidic here, so it's only lasts 25yrs on average.. Topically applied moisture mitigation product over correct profile substrate is needed to control the how much vapors are coming through the slab..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom