Little Giant heater problem

hogjowl

Idiot™
I noticed the other day that my heater was not putting out much heat, and I was smelling a strong gas smell at the van door. I also noticed my burner ring was not burning all the way around. I took the ring out and blew it out with compressed gas. Put it back in and it initially worked, but then went back to smelling bad and not putting out much heat, and the ring was not burning evenly again.

So, I replaced the regulator on the tank. Still did not fix the problem.

What now?

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Call greenie or our great friend terry brevik, or larry cobb.

They are the little giant guru's, oh don't forget matt king.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Marty...

As new as your system is, I'd be willing to bet that the Unitrol is in good shape. Since you've replaced the regulator, there's one thing left to do. (And by the way... it's periodic maintenance, as far as I'm concerned...) That's to clean the jets. Compressed air alone won't do it. You have to "drill" them out. It's important to NOT make them any larger when you drill them.

Go to a welding supply company and get a set of "tip cleaners". Basically, it's a set of tiny drill bits. there are a couple of different kinds. One looks a lot like a folding allen wrench set. (Don't get that one, unless it's all you have available.) The other looks a lot like an exacto knife... It's a tube, about 4 inches long, and the bits are stored inside of it. (That's the one you want.)

On the first jet you clean, start with the smallest bit and work your way up, until you feel like it's biting into metal. Than go one size smaller. You don't want to remove any metal... making the jet orifice any larger. Once you've got the right bit, clean all of the jets with it, then blow them out with compressed air again, before reinstalling the burner.

Obstruction of the jets is as much a residue problem as anything. Typically, it happens over a period of time of a year to two years. In my experience, it seems to be due to the perfume added to the L.P. And sometimes, they seem to add too much. That perfume leaves a residue. And if there's too much in a batch of L.P., it will clog the jets quicker.

Tom Jasunas

Marty said:
I noticed the other day that my heater was not putting out much heat, and I was smelling a strong gas smell at the van door. I also noticed my burner ring was not burning all the way around. I took the ring out and blew it out with compressed gas. Put it back in and it initially worked, but then went back to smelling bad and not putting out much heat, and the ring was not burning evenly again.

So, I replaced the regulator on the tank. Still did not fix the problem.

What now?
I also had poor heat from my 120000 btu little giant and was told by several folks that the tank was to small to allow cold liquid propane to evaporate fast enough to make the needed btus. The more people I talked to the more confused I got. I stopped at Lowes and got a 2 stage regulator made for a 100 pound tank and 160000 btus. NO MORE PROBLEM. The people at TCS assure me that it is safe as well. I will keep a good eye on it though as it really is hot now. This and a clean burner are about the only things that can keep it from working. You need a #68 drill bit to clean the burner jets good.
good luck Tom J.

Greenie

All propane heaters should have a two stage reg. that is rated for a HIGHER output than your heater actually needs.

Marty's does sound like dirty jets.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
"All propane heaters should have a two stage reg. that is rated for a HIGHER output than your heater actually needs. "

Yep... That's a "given", but bears repeating, I guess...

hogjowl

Idiot™
OK, I drive to Greenbo this morning and bought a welding tip cleaning kit, cost me $8.33. Drove back to Pigsville and took my heater apart. First thing I noticed was there WAS a residue coming off onto the tip tool.

Put everything back together and it seems to be working now. Don't smell the gas in the van, the jets are all firing, and the heater seems to be firing properly ... when the water is flowing ... now.

Maybe it will work all freaking day tomorrow!

Thanks

Name
Lee Stockwell
Like expecting the pump attendant at the gas station to be a mechanic??

John Nava had the same experience a few years back, but I hesitated to post the fix because someone would think google was involved.

:-)
Lee

c02dave

I used to spray water on them from the hose and then light the heater.
It would clean them out for awhile until I had time to do a better job. Then use a pipe wire brush and scrub them off.

Dave

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom