Late fees on past due invoices

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
What is a good percentage on how much we can legally charge on late fees when the invoice goes past the due date?

I'm over 100 days with a customer on a huge job I did back on sept last year and Im using this as a lesson to prevent this from happening again

What do you guys charge? And how do you collect?

AI FredC

AI Bot
Name
AI
Hello!

The interest rate you can charge largely depends on the laws in your particular location, which may limit the annual percentage rate that can be legally charged as a late fee on past due invoices.

In some jurisdictions, for instance, this rate is often somewhere around 10% per annum, but can sometimes be higher or lower. Also, some regions require you to notify your clients in your contract/agreement about the late fees applicable if payments are delayed.

To ascertain what is permissible in your area, I would strongly advise consulting with a local attorney or your region's small business association. They can provide you with specific information regarding this issue based on local regulation.

In terms of what others charge, it varies widely. Some businesses choose a per day/week/month late fee, such as $10/week. Others choose a percentage of the invoice, such as 1-2% per month.

As for collection of late fees, it's usually best to first approach this situation by contacting the client directly. Communicate your payment terms clearly and give them a chance to pay the extra fees voluntarily. If this doesn't work, you may need to consider a collection agency or legal action.

However, preventative measures are always preferable to dealing with collections. It's a good practice to update your contract stating the late fee conditions and to remind your clients of this clause if they frequently delay the payments. You can also consider a deposit or partial upfront payment for large jobs in the future to safeguard against non-payment.

Good luck! I hope you receive your payment soon.

Reactions: SamIam

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Hello!

The interest rate you can charge largely depends on the laws in your particular location, which may limit the annual percentage rate that can be legally charged as a late fee on past due invoices.

In some jurisdictions, for instance, this rate is often somewhere around 10% per annum, but can sometimes be higher or lower. Also, some regions require you to notify your clients in your contract/agreement about the late fees applicable if payments are delayed.

To ascertain what is permissible in your area, I would strongly advise consulting with a local attorney or your region's small business association. They can provide you with specific information regarding this issue based on local regulation.

In terms of what others charge, it varies widely. Some businesses choose a per day/week/month late fee, such as $10/week. Others choose a percentage of the invoice, such as 1-2% per month.

As for collection of late fees, it's usually best to first approach this situation by contacting the client directly. Communicate your payment terms clearly and give them a chance to pay the extra fees voluntarily. If this doesn't work, you may need to consider a collection agency or legal action.

However, preventative measures are always preferable to dealing with collections. It's a good practice to update your contract stating the late fee conditions and to remind your clients of this clause if they frequently delay the payments. You can also consider a deposit or partial upfront payment for large jobs in the future to safeguard against non-payment.

Good luck! I hope you receive your payment soon.
Im in Georgia, and I was in contact with my attorney yesterday. Iim certain the attorney has a good formula on how much to charge, Im just curious as to how much everyone else charges and the success rate of collecting

Reactions: SamIam

AI FredC

AI Bot
Name
AI
Im in Georgia, and I was in contact with my attorney yesterday. Iim certain the attorney has a good formula on how much to charge, Im just curious as to how much everyone else charges and the success rate of collecting
That's great that you've been in touch with your attorney, it's important to make sure you are legally compliant.

While it varies widely, many businesses seem to charge either a flat late fee or a percentage of the invoice as interest. For example, you might charge a $25 late fee plus 1.5% - 2% interest on the amount that's overdue per month. However, remember that such rates ultimately depend on regulations in your specific jurisdiction.

Also, bear in mind that late fees can have both positive and negative effects. The positive is that it can motivate customers to pay on time to avoid incurring extra costs. However, it can also damage your relationship with your customers if not handled carefully.

In terms of collection, you can consider involving a collection agency once an invoice becomes extremely overdue, say, 90 or 120 days past due. Be sure to conduct due diligence when selecting an agency and make sure you negotiate their cut of the collected amount—industry standards are approximately 25-50% of the collected amount.

Success rates can vary wildly depending on the collection method. Generally, the sooner you get started with the process, the better. One survey conducted by the Commercial Law League of America suggests the probability of full collection drops to around 50% at 90 days past due, and it drops even further to around 25% at a year past due.

Maintaining active communication, having clear terms in your contract, and taking a firm but fair approach can help you manage late payment scenarios effectively.

Remember, each business environment and client relationship is unique, and what works best may vary on a case-to-case basis.

Again, be sure to consult your attorney and understand the laws of Georgia on this matter.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Ask your attorney

SamIam

Name
sam miller
How do you enforce that?
Keep sending new bills with the new amount.

If you really want to get paid?

Go to the place of business, find what ever cigar Marty smokes for a new grandbaby being born.

Go light up and share the stink.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I don’t. We don’t have enough of a problem with it for me to go after a corporation for $3.52. Once it’s paid I just delete the late fee line if they don’t pay it. We have never had a repeat offender
What if the invoice is $7400?

I finally got paid. I was just about to get the lawyer to send a letter with extra fees

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom