IYO

2 strikes and you're out

• Absolutely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mikey P

Administrator
If a Carpet CLEANER does not have a vacuum to pre vac with and a means to mechanically agitate in his pre-spray on his truck is he a "hack?

hogjowl

Idiot™
You have a stupid habit of screwing up polls with illogical answers and scewed topics. You can't equate the two together. If a cleaner does not have a vacuum on the truck, and is not prepared to use it when necessary, then he is a hack 90% of the time, I would guess. However, need to prescrub is probably necessary only 10% of the time, if not less.

Name
steve snail
Absolutely vacuum. Gives me a chance to really inspect the carpet i am about to clean as well as move some of the furniture that is to be moved. However, in the spirit of Independence Day, I would advise all my direct competitors to be free thinkers and and do their best sans vacuum.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Bob Foster said:
I pre-scrub a lot more than 10% of my jobs.

So do I, but I'm sure Marty's numbers are correct. You wouldn't know a job would have looked just as good after you have already scrubbadubbed it. But the mechanical agitation makes the extraction so much easier. You end up just pulling the wand back slow and smooth, rinsing, like Ron Worner pulling a vaccuum cleaner.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Sorry Bob. I keep forgetting what it was like back when I used sub-Vortex equipment. Back then, when using what you are stuck using, I probably had to prescrub 20% of the time. Now that I have grown up, it's needed much less. :lol:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Mikey, don't you have a big $90.00 vacuum on your truck that you can use?

Why do you insist on letting the $100.00 vac do the work?

I've been around long enough to know that pre vacuuming is just to keep your filters clean.
Maybe vacuum up some heavy debris or powder...maybe.

The main reason for vacuuming (According the DAIICRC) is to get out the dry soil in order to decrease dry times...at least that's how I remember it.

But now, dry times are not an issue because of better equipment and newer equipment (better fans etc.)

I'm sure you will disagree but you are losing money because of time restraints. Unless you actually charge for vacuuming. Which I think is wrong...
A higher price because of vacuuming is the same thing.

Clean the carpets in the most efficient way, charge accordingly and don't screw the customer with all the un-needed fufu crap.

How do you sleep at night?

hogjowl

Idiot™
Brian:

I agree with you. If you look at the companies that are making real money in this business and have the plans and staffing in place to actually retire, and retire well, off their business, you seldom see one that follows the IICRC guidelines to the letter. Prevacuuming is a time waster that lowers profit margins.

However, as hard as I try to cut it out, I have just never been able to do it. There's just something about cleaning over hair, sand and crap that just sits wrong with me. I wish I could do it your way, but I just can't.

The two largest companies in my service area, who both run in excess of 10 trucks each (I think) are Stanley Steemer and a company called Peaches-N-Clean. They are both priced about the same and Stanley doesn't prevacuum and Peaches does (or claims to). I am closely watching Peaches to see if they continue vacuuming over time, or if they are forced to give it up, or raise their prices.

Bob Foster

admiralclean said:
Sorry Bob. I keep forgetting what it was like back when I used sub-Vortex equipment. Back then, when using what you are stuck using, I probably had to prescrub 20% of the time. Now that I have grown up, it's needed much less. :lol:

Scuze me... but I'm running a high lift - high flow TNT with a #4 Little Giant. I'll match my TNT to a Vortex any day for single wand results. I got just as much or more heat as you do at the wand and my Greenhorn wand wouldn't know if a TNT or a Vortex was pulling for it once the air hits the vacuum relief valve.

Name
I'm Rick James
Mikey P said:
If a Carpet CLEANER does not have a vacuum to pre vac with and a means to mechanically agitate in his pre-spray on his truck is he a "hack?

I prevac, but dont have a machine to agitate, so I guess I am a hack. I dont care about the labels, its highschool sh!t. As long as my customer is happy and the carpet is clean.

I am sure it has a bigger impact on the customer if:

If your late
If you smell of smoke or BO
If you dump in their yard
If you make the customer feel uncomfortable
If you look like a average guy off the street (no uniform or professional looking)
If you leave their hose off their outside water source
If you leave the dripped water on their hardwoods
If you use the bathroom without asking
If you swear
If you damage their house
If the carpet is wet to long
If they feel it was a splash and dash job
If the cleaner has a mighter than thou attitude
If the guy keeps bragging about his equipment
If you dont look at their eyes when you talk to them

The list can go on and on.

Ernie G

I find myself agree-ing with Marty, thats a scary thought, I charge what I charge for the complete service, not just because I vaccuum the carpet. I like to sleep at night, so we want to do the best job possible, and if were priced right, we'll make a profit without cutting corners. Agitation depends on the job, whether it needs it or not. JMHO.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
When I never prevaced my customers where happy. I’ve been vacuuming for the last 6mo and it’s killing my hourly average. I’m going to start telling my customers to thoroughly vacuum before my arrival or I will be happy to do it for a nominal charge.

Name
I'm Rick James
ACE said:
When I never prevaced my customers where happy. I’ve been vacuuming for the last 6mo and it’s killing my hourly average. I’m going to start telling my customers to thoroughly vacuum before my arrival or I will be happy to do it for a nominal charge.

I have never been a fan of telling the customer to prevac for me. Thats just me. Have you thought of offering different packages.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Brent,
I'm truly impressed with your list. I'm printing it to show to my helper so he can see that It's not just me who thinks of those little things.

Gene

Name
I'm Rick James
GeneMiller said:
Brent,
I'm truly impressed with your list. I'm printing it to show to my helper so he can see that It's not just me who thinks of those little things.

Gene

I like chatting with cutomers and pick up on subtle things they say. Customers have told me that they quit using the other company not because the carpet didnt look good, because they said it did, it was the little things.

Customer have told me that that is why they didnt call the last company back, was some of that stuff on the list. I bet we can make a list with 100+ things we can do wrong, to lose the trust of the customer.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
It all goes back to no matter what you do you cant make everyone happy. One customer may want to be looked in the eye and the next you could make nervous by looking them in the eye.
When dealing with customers there is no 1 shot plan

WANDMASTER3

I ALWAYS VACUUM FIRST . IT LIFTS UP THE NAP AND I CAN SEE SOILED TRAFFIC AREAS BETTER.I ONLY MECHANICALLY AGITATEABOUT 20% OF MY JOBS.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Larry B said:
It all goes back to no matter what you do you cant make everyone happy. One customer may want to be looked in the eye and the next you could make nervous by looking them in the eye.

Amen to that.
A good "salesman" will adjust to every customer without being caught doing it.

I always tell my customers that "It's always a good idea to vacuum before" or "It never hurts to vacuum, it should be done 2 or 3 times per week depending".

Promotion of vacuuming and the benefits thereof helps Custys and ccers alike.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Although...if a customers swears...I still don't
if they smoke...I still don't
etc, etc.

I still keep my morals and ethics while relating to the customer and their needs.

Name
I'm Rick James
Brian Robison said:
[quote="Larry B":2zg2b4dt]It all goes back to no matter what you do you cant make everyone happy. One customer may want to be looked in the eye and the next you could make nervous by looking them in the eye.

Amen to that.

I always tell my customers that "It's always a good idea to vacuum before" or "It never hurts to vacuum, it should be done 2 or 3 times per week depending".

Promotion of vacuuming and the benefits thereof helps Custys and ccers alike.[/quote:2zg2b4dt]

Good advice from a guy that pee's sitting down. :lol:

Kidding brian

:D

Ernie G

Adjust to every customer without being caught, what the hell does that mean, sounds like a used car salesman.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Brent said:
I have never been a fan of telling the customer to prevac for me. Thats just me. Have you thought of offering different packages.

I plain on saying something like: We offer a discount if the carpets are thoroughly vacuumed before our arrival.

Name
I'm Rick James
I think what he means is being flexible with the customer.

Here are some examples from a sales company i came across.

*It’s the capacity to adjust your personality to match the demands of the particular situation in which you find yourself.

*To empower yourself to blend your personality to be in total coordination with the pace, tone and speed of your prospect.

*It is not forcing your “dynamic personality” onto a prospect who is cool, distant or removed.

*It is not talking your head off constantly to a prospect that tends to be quiet and reserved.

*It is not being distant and cool with a prospect who is warm, engaging and interested in dealing with you in a very personal way.

In the same way, you should take your cues on how to behave from the prospect. They’re inviting you into their environment to see if you can be of service to them. No matter how “the real you” behaves in other situations, in this situation it’s in your best interest to let the prospect dictate how the two of you will interact.

Any carpet cleaner that doesn't bother to carry a Vacuum and a mechanical agitator of some kind on his truck is definately a hack....he is not prepared to do quality work... marketing and bullshit may get you jobs...only quality work will keep those customers and make you competitive. Customers judge your work by the only criteria that they can judge ...Appearance

To all those that have excuses like time, hourly rate, etc...I would suggest the best way to deal with a competitive business... is to quit chasing the "fast" buck, and pursue the "permanent" buck by carrying the tools one needs to perform quality work specific to the situation encountered... you might have to work harder for the same money sometimes...but that is how you build a trusting, loyal customer base.

Of course... if you are in over your head with Truck/TM payments, shop bills, etc... and can't afford to take the time not to be a hack... then you are probably doomed anyway. :wink:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ernie G said:
Adjust to every customer without being caught, what the hell does that mean, sounds like a used car salesman.

A better way of putting it is
being able to speak with a customer on their level without coming across as fake or a kiss ass...or just a salesman.

You don't want to be a "Yes man" but you don't want to piss them off either.
Honesty with a custy is always best and you will earn respect and repeats if you are.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Brent said:
Brian Robison said:
[quote="Larry B":11fcix5j]It all goes back to no matter what you do you cant make everyone happy. One customer may want to be looked in the eye and the next you could make nervous by looking them in the eye.

Amen to that.

Promotion of vacuuming and the benefits thereof helps Custys and ccers alike.

Good advice from a guy that pee's sitting down. :lol:

Kidding brian

:D[/quote:11fcix5j]

Hey don't talk about Larry like that...He pee's sitting down because it's like a fire hose going off and the wife hates the clean up.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
ACE said:
Brent said:

I plain on saying something like: We offer a discount if the carpets are thoroughly vacuumed before our arrival.

Not a bad idea but you should explain why.
Let them know that it saves you time and therefore saves them money...something along those lines.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
DevilThomas said:
Any carpet cleaner that doesn't bother to carry a Vacuum and a mechanical agitator of some kind on his truck is definately a hack....he is not prepared to do quality work... marketing and bullshit may get you jobs...only quality work will keep those customers and make you competitive. Customers judge your work by the only criteria that they can judge ...Appearance

To all those that have excuses like time, hourly rate, etc...I would suggest the best way to deal with a competitive business... is to quit chasing the "fast" buck, and pursue the "permanent" buck by carrying the tools one needs to perform quality work specific to the situation encountered... you might have to work harder for the same money sometimes...but that is how you build a trusting, loyal customer base.

Of course... if you are in over your head with Truck/TM payments, shop bills, etc... and can't afford to take the time not to be a hack... then you are probably doomed anyway. :wink:

Says the dude who is just starting out. Come back in a year or two and tell me when you're out of business. Truthfully, if I was a customer, I would be more concerned with the cleaner not dragging his hoses around my corners and furniture and damaging and breaking shit. I don't usually use a vacuum but I do a pretty thorough vacuuming with my hose along all the walls and cleaning up all the crap before I start. Say what you want, I've been in business for more than 20 years, way more than most of you jokers can say.

P.S. And I work mostly on referrals and repeat business. Literally no advertising.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom