It smell terrible and it ain't pig poop!

hogjowl

Idiot™
I got this church, Presbyterian (always picky), that has had several water problems over the past year. Two floods (outside water) and one toilet leak. It's a direct glue down commercial olefin. Each time, they called me within a day of the accident, but the carpet was smelling bad by the time I got there. I applied Milgo, faned it until dry, cleaned and then applied Microban. Every time they have called me back saying it still smells ... and it does.

Thing is, I have done everything I can do to treat the carpet. I'm thinking it has to be a problem elsewhere ... like under the AC unit where the return air is, or in the AC unit itself ... or in a sink trap that they don't ever use.

Is there anything else I may not have thought of?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Does the carpet smell? Have you gotten down on the carpet to see if it is indeed the carpet?

You have a pretty good hit list of possibilities there, any or all could be the culprit.

Have you checked the lower drywall? Often when sitting that long (24-hrs) you can get moisture that wicks into the drywall. If it was never properly dried out you can easily be getting odor from the drywall or insulation in the drywall. Wet insulation gives off a sour smell.

A dry sink trap can give off an awful smell...assy...we you know bout dat!

Ac units do often leak and it's not unusual to have some microbial growth on or near them.
Have the had the unit serviced recently? Maybe the coils need cleaning.

Wet boxes, wet clothing are also sources of sour type odors that are often found on water losses.

If it's not the carpet, then I'd guess moisture in the drywall or wall cavity. ???

harryhides

Name
Tony
admiralclean said:
like under the AC unit where the return air is, or in the AC unit itself ... or in a sink trap that they don't ever use.

Did ya stick yer snout in the sink hole - you don't need to get down on your knobbly knees to do that ?
I don't suppose a hack like you has a moisture meter ?

admiralclean said:
Is there anything else I may not have thought of?

Is that a question ?
Like you're some kind of genius where that is even remotely possible ?

hogjowl

Idiot™
The smell was coming from some old wall tiles that lined the AC closet. They were of a paper like substance and were all water stained from years of leaks and smelled to high heaven. Fearing that they were made of asbestos, and since they were located in the day-care area of the church, I told them I couldn't remove them. They needed a pro.

They'll probably do it themselves during the day ... with kids there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom