Is it Time I retire?

hogjowl

Idiot™
My wife can get along for an hour or two by herself now, so I went out to see if anything has changed in my business while Brady’s been in control.

First job yesterday was an upstairs playroom - 450 s.f., landing -80 s.f., downstairs BR-150 s.f. and 17 stairs.
Since the downstairs BR was on the opposite side of the house from stairs and upstairs areas to be cleaned, I volunteered to clean it and let Brady set up for the rest on the other side.

This lady is a cat lover, and her cats always barf or pee or spray or whatever cats doo all over the house. So we always spray P-Sor on the spots as we encounter them while vacuuming. That way we can clean with Maxx Powder , instead of Prime Time Enzyme, because their carpets are always badly soiled too.

The carpets cleaned up well, smelled good and will be Mother-in-law approved for Christmas. However, I was shocked to find Brady pulling off the property as I went out to shut my rig down!

I couldn’t believe how slow I’ve become in my old age!

Are you over 60 cleaners noticing the same thing?

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Im 55 and i noticed that I've slowed down alot!
Dont know whats to blame: old age, self diagnosed OCD or those damn sight glasses on our tools now.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
My wife can get along for an hour or two by herself now, so I went out to see if anything has changed in my business while Brady’s been in control.

First job yesterday was an upstairs playroom - 450 s.f., landing -80 s.f., downstairs BR-150 s.f. and 17 stairs.
Since the downstairs BR was on the opposite side of the house from stairs and upstairs areas to be cleaned, I volunteered to clean it and let Brady set up for the rest on the other side.

This lady is a cat lover, and her cats always barf or pee or spray or whatever cats doo all over the house. So we always spray P-Sor on the spots as we encounter them while vacuuming. That way we can clean with Maxx Powder , instead of Prime Time Enzyme, because their carpets are always badly soiled too.

The carpets cleaned up well, smelled good and will be Mother-in-law approved for Christmas. However, I was shocked to find Brady pulling off the property as I went out to shut my rig down!

I couldn’t believe how slow I’ve become in my old age!

Are you over 60 cleaners noticing the same thing?
Won't be over 60 til sometime next year. I still find I'm too fast and have to slow myself down so the customer feels they get some value for their money. I only have one speed, the switch is broken on high it seems.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Won't be over 60 til sometime next year. I still find I'm too fast and have to slow myself down so the customer feels they get some value for their money. I only have one speed, the switch is broken on high it seems.
+2

Some day I'll slow down but for now like Ron, I just hit it and rest when the work is done.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Couple more years to hit 60. I'm starting to have more joint pain, and don't have as much strength as I had when I was younger. But Nancy and I have been trying to eat a healthier plant-based diet and get some exercise a few times a week (running or cycling) and I think it's helping some. Still have pretty good energy.

When I was 20 I worked with a guy who was in his 70's. He'd always say "it's a hazardous business getting old". I'm beginning to appreciate what he was saying. Ugh!

hogjowl

Idiot™
I thought I was moving just as fast as normal, but obviously not. I’ve hurt (back) during cleaning for years, so that’s nothing new. I didn’t mention any of this to Brady, but a few days before this he said he’d noticed, for the first , that his Mom and I were old now. LOL!

My first though was not that I’ve slowed down, but that Brady was cleaning too fast, but the quality of his cleaning is fine, as evidenced by his reviews.

I guess I’ve bought my last new rig based on my preferences. Future rigs will be spec’d out by Brady.

I bet he stays with direct drives.

steve_64

55 in less than a month and I'm intentionally slowing down. I'm tired of hurting so much. I'm sure it will become a habit by the time I'm old like you Marty.

Reactions: hogjowl

sassyotto

Name
Paul
61 here. my overall cleaning time has not increased. I do mark my time on my copy of the invoice.

I think innovations have offset any slowdown due to age - glides help the back, 4 to the door increases vacuum which decreases time wanding, etc

It will catch up at some point though, but at that point I will do what I can do as my income need wont be as great.

Besides I like what I do.

Name
Steve Lawrence
No need to retire yet, Porkster. You can pull back a lot and still maintain some control of your biz and work when you want to. Or just dump the whole thing. Your call.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
62 next month.

I have a 27 yo and a 69 yo helping me.

We all work at the same speed - fast.

I used to work the whole day without a break. Now I take a break every hour or so for 5 minutes and insist my guys do the same.

No aches apart from my right elbow. In March I cleaned the Windows of a large retirement facility myself in 10 hour stints without a break. I am not doing that again.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Lee Stockwell
I've relegated the wand to a younger guy the last 9 years or so. If I hadn't the gig would have been up by now. Together we can accomplish the work of two, so I rationalize that I'm pulling my weight still.

I just turned 67 and want to keep going (albeit less intensely) for a few more years...God willing.

It's still fun!

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
You have nothing to compare yourself to
I compare myself to the 30 year old me...the age when I was using truck mounts... was faster...and a hack.
Student housing apartment complexes, Chinese Restaurants where you have to be a hack to make a profit.
I didn't hack the residential work though and because I was in Santa Barbara California, I did lots of high end work as well.
More complicated but easier and more profit.

For me; I felt my age when I stopped the physical work and sat at a desk. My other business that I still operate.
When you stop physically working is when you will feel your age. IMO.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I’ve alwsy enjoyed cleaning. I can get instant results from my work

yeah, that was/is the good part of it

I'm 61 in a couple weeks
Even though I haven't slogged a wand full time in years
(I do clean my own home cause no one is a good as me)
but I'm damn sure not able to do what I could/the way I did 20 years ago .

truth is, I not sure I could slog a wand everyday full time by myself to be honest .
Back is fine, but shoulders are shot..and if I did a couple days worth of upl, my tendons would be on fire for weeks

The crash and smashed pelvis in '92 has caught up with me now too.
The last year or so I've become pretty damn gimpy all the time .
and rain or cold fronts kick my azz hard

it's a bitch getting old
Only have another 10-15 years to be bothered with it though .
I'll breath my last, pass on and that'll be just fine

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom