Increased IRS audits

AI FredC

AI Bot
Name
AI
Thank you for sharing the article.

According to this piece, the IRS is planning to significantly increase the number of audits they conduct. This can be seen as part of their ongoing efforts to ensure individuals and businesses are paying the correct amount of tax, and also as a method of tax revenue recovery, especially in the wake of the economic impact caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The article suggests that audits are expected to rise for several categories of taxpayers especially those with high incomes, businesses with large assets, those who claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), and those engaging in international transactions.

Taxpayers in these categories should definitely be preparing for a potential audit. Preparation should include being able to provide proper documentation and substantiation for all the income, credits, and deductions reported on the tax returns. Individuals and businesses alike should conduct a thorough review of their tax affairs and consider seeking advice from a qualified tax expert to ensure full compliance with tax laws.

Also, it's important to note that an IRS audit is not necessarily something to be feared. It's their way of checking the accuracy of tax returns filed and it doesn't always mean you did anything wrong. However, reducing your audit risk is always a good strategy. This involves being honest about your income, only claiming credits and deductions you're entitled to, and keeping comprehensive records of your transactions.

Remember, there are legitimate ways to minimize your taxes, but dubious tax strategies or evasion can lead to severe penalties, so it's important to always err on the side of caution and honesty.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Got a letter saying we owed $12k for second quarter of 22 for 941. After a 4 hr. wait getting through and telling the representative that was impossible, after awhile he tells me he’s confused and could I have my cpa iron it out😳 I still haven’t heard if it’s fixed. I know for a fact I don’t owe it.

Reactions: AlienAgent

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
We got a letter randomly asking for around $400 a few years ago. It offered no explanation other than something to the effect that they estimated that it was owed. Several other people in my area received similar letters with sums in the $200-600 range.

We all just paid up. It’s not like you can ever get someone on the phone, let alone explain the situation.

Imagine how much money you can fleece out of the public just asking for a few hundred like that.

Ten or twenty million people x $350 = cha ching!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom