I'd rather be angry..

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I believe its the clientele you serve, some expect that level of service other do not. In fact they would be irritated with it because all they want is a price. I don't believe there is a right or wrong it's all about who you serve.

this I would have to agree. It really does depend on your client base and what type of client you serve. If I did not do in home estimates I would switch to room pricing which is much easier to estimate over the phone. furniture should not be that hard to estimate over the phone. For furniture much like everything else some pieces will be more work and some less. Pick an in between pricing structure. You will be ahead on some and lose on some but in the end your average will be what you want.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
alright call me old school here....but
if you drive out and give an estimate.....
you give the custy a chance to shop you
for a "better price".....

Ron K

Times have changed over the last 30 years even in my laid-back western Kentucky market. People are busy, time is precious, most aren't patient enough for a "pre-inspection visit."

I think our South American friend is not in touch anymore with the customers of today, sorry just my opinion. I still listen to his Cassettes though! "Winning on the Home Front"
If all of us were driving around giving estimates all day we'd all be out of business. I think Pembertons O'Hallick and Stockwell advice is a lot more real time. STOP WASTING YOU ENERGY ON THIS Mikey!!!!

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
Hey mike..sorry you had such a tough unreasonable customer..and sorry I haven called you back yet lol

I specifically train my guys and actually continue and follow up train them every few month for the unreasonable ones..

One thing to remember and the thing I keep telling them is

Anyone can make a reasonable customer happy..that's nothing really special..it's great and appreciated but not special..

It takes someone special and good at what they do to make a happy cheerleader out of a unreasonable person..

Once you figure them out you can walk them like a dog..they will be in love with you and be manipulated by you and not even know it..

I slip a 100$ bill to crew leaders when they man handle a jerk..

Our policy is smile to with what he says and then question the office..he will never know there was a problem..if he was lying then he will be refused service the next time he calls (very politely)

If it was a office mistake we correct it..

we never question or argue with a customer ever ever ever.

If I feel the need to argue then its time to fire them..if my office was not crystal clear with info and direction it's my fault and whatever the customer interpreted is what go's..

It hardly ever happens but it does..
Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

Ron K

Dave have you ever honestly ask your crews if they really like working for jerks? Or if they feel they're just walking on egg shells the whole time there. Everyone likes a challenge but that's what every day is.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
it is pretty rare that we get a jerk or difficult customer..no one like working for a jerk or a difficult customer but that is part of the job so why not make the best of it and solve the problem..

anyone can just walk away and take the easy way out..however the person that can crack that code just becomes better at everything for doing it..

one of the worse ones we had was just the other day..i did the est and it went great..no indicators of trouble at all..it was a 1255.00 job of carpet and tile cleaning.

my guy gets there and is greeted with a smile then followed every single step of every single room and picked apart every single step of the way..but in a nice way.

cust asking endless questions, going into rooms that were just cleaned on their hands and knees and putting blue tape on specks that were in the carpet..he had to explain
4 times that there were specialty chems in the carpet on those spots etc etc..

it got very frustrating, after they were asked politely to address questions to him they kept going to the helper and pinning him down with questions lol..they both handled it great
walked out with a 20.00 tip from customer each and a awesome review in writing from the customer outlining their professionalism and dedication to perfection and a promise to send
family and friends our way..

my guys came away better at their job because of that customer..yes it would have been easier if they were left alone but like i tell them..anyone can do the easy job good
but who can do the hard job good?

and my guys have free reign to walk away from any customer they feel need to walk away from..i will support them 100% because of their past training and dedication to cracking the tough ones.
if they need to walk then it was abusive and thats the one thing i will not tolerate..you can bust my guys balls and be hard on them but not abusive..they mean too much to me for that.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I personally do 900 stops a year and the 1 to 2 mishaps a year we work on.

Like Mike we have a good online reputation.

I wonder why we let the 1 or 2 fish that get away bother us the most?

When in the scheme of business things are so positive!

Apologize and move on.

It sounds like some have such a filter system setup for their business they only serve a client list that is acceptable to them.

There will be bumps on this road, We deal with humans not machines.

Just don't beat yourself up to much.

Remember to laugh and smile.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
I personally do 900 stops a year and the 1 to 2 mishaps a year we work on.

Like Mike we have a good online reputation.

I wonder why we let the 1 or 2 fish that get away bother us the most?

When in the scheme of business things are so positive!

Apologize and move on.

It sounds like some have such a filter system setup for their business they only serve a client list that is acceptable to them.

There will be bumps on this road, We deal with humans not machines.

Just don't beat yourself up to much.

Remember to laugh and smile.

Well when we stop worrying about the 1-2 a year we can't make happy we start to slowly accept less than our best..

I personally feel that's why we are blessed with a huge customer base and a crazy retention rate and the reputation we have..because we care about everyone especially the tough ones..

If I didn't worry about the 2-3 a year my guys wouldn't worry about the 5-6 a year that I don't know bout then the snow ball builds..

That's just my opinion though..

We shoot for 100% on everyone..and if we don't get it I want to know why

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Well when we stop worrying about the 1-2 a year we can't make happy we start to slowly accept less than our best..

I personally feel that's why we are blessed with a huge customer base and a crazy retention rate and the reputation we have..because we care about everyone especially the tough ones..

If I didn't worry about the 2-3 a year my guys wouldn't worry about the 5-6 a year that I don't know bout then the snow ball builds..

That's just my opinion though..

We shoot for 100% on everyone..and if we don't get it I want to know why

I think we all shoot for a 100%, and 10 out 12 months we get it when we dont we look at what we can do better and fix it. Then we thank God for the learning experience and that he allowed us to get out while we still have our shirts.

http://youtu.be/yv-Fk1PwVeU

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
Sadly there are lots of and I would say more that don't than do have meetings to review and fix these problems.

They intend to bit just do t take the time..training as well..it's just pretty rare in this industry.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Dave:

Would you please do me a favor and finish your sentences before you branch off into another subject?

I have a really hard time following your logic.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
what other subject did i branch off into? and what sentence did i not finish?

i mostly use my iphone or ipad so something may have gotten cut off..enlighten me please

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
Ha..come on old man..follow the bouncing ball and read between the lines..does everything have to be spelled out perfectly for you? Lol

With10k posts I figured you of all people could figure out what I was saying even if my iPad can't

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
I don't know if anyone pointed it out . But when we get great service we tell a few people about it . When we get shit service we tell everybody.

Thats why it's important to find a good way to deal with people who would rather be angry.

Reactions: Mikey P

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
I don't know if anyone pointed it out . But when we get great service we tell a few people about it . When we get shit service we tell everybody.

Thats why it's important to find a good way to deal with people who would rather be angry.
Yep. Back in the day (before Internet) the government did a famous study (before sequestration) on how customers reacted. They found a delighted Cheerleader would tell (on average) 5 of their friends and neighbors. But a pissed off "Negative Cheerleader" would tell (on average) 25 people about their "nightmare experience" with your company.

Steve

PS Now of course we have this little "double edged sword" called the "Internet" and a ticked off client can unfairly trash you to THOUSANDS of your potential clients BEFORE even giving you a chance to fix their concerns. Life ain't simple any more...

Name
jack zerkie
Not the same as this story but some people are just a big A---. Many years ago I cleaned the carpets at a set price and as I was finishing the job the man asked if I could clean the small chairs and how much.I said $8.00, he said okey. Well there where 6 chairs, so the total was $ 48.00 for the chairs. When I was done he paid $ 8.00. I said there were 6 chairs, he said I didnt say $ 8,00 each. He was right that was a great lesson. I now explain it all and do all the math to show the total amount. jz.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Not the same as this story but some people are just a big A---. Many years ago I cleaned the carpets at a set price and as I was finishing the job the man asked if I could clean the small chairs and how much.I said $8.00, he said okey. Well there where 6 chairs, so the total was $ 48.00 for the chairs. When I was done he paid $ 8.00. I said there were 6 chairs, he said I didnt say $ 8,00 each. He was right that was a great lesson. I now explain it all and do all the math to show the total amount. jz.

I would have asked him very slowly if he really thought that I would clean them 6 chairs for $8. Being an *ss hole he probally would of said that is what you told me. Then I would tell him that that is ok I will only charge you the $8 but you know and I know that that is not the case. Regardless I would not of let him off the hook without him knowing what I thought about him.

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
Sales are built upon trust. Trust is earned. You did not earn his, no matter whether he is a jerk or not. Of Course you know the answer to the question: Online Estimates and Booking capabilities.You wanted me to post more.... lol

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't think you want that type of customer whether it was your girl's fault or not. You tired to make it right and his lack of maturity showed through. If we are going to give into every threat or potential threat of social media you're going to do a lot of free work.

I feel we need to do the responsible thing and I think you did that, if they want to give you a bad mark for doing the right thing so be it. I don't believe you want to continually be held hostage by the threat of a bad report. As long as you have a valid answer as to why you did what you did, leave it to the potential client to decide whether they feel they want to do business with you or not.

Not saying you get into an online argument but simply state your position. Disclaimer-We don't have as many fruits and nutz as guys have. Thankfully!!!

Name
I'm Rick James
I built my company around the customer service experience, so we would of just discounted the cleaning to match his expected cleaning price. We would inform him about the misquote and what the original price would be and we would get to work. We charge enough so if there is a problem with the price we can easily lower it without us taking a loss.. that is very rare if we have to do that but we do just to keep up with the amazing customer experience we offer. Misunderstandings happen.. its just a part of what we do, but its how you handle it is what matter the most.

I hired a full time CSR that works for my company and use the call center for overflow calls, so I expect it to happen even less.. plus we are switching to charging by the linear foot $17-$23, so there won't be an actual price quote..

View attachment 2983

[video=youtube;sOx7rL6i0-s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOx7rL6i0-s[/video]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom