I think I'll pass on this one

I picked up several rugs for a customer the other day. They have extensive pet urine damage which shouldn't be a problem to remove as they are thin rugs. I knew one of the rugs would pose a problem just from the way it was constructed. Ofcourse it is the ugliest and cheapest looking rug (handmade). After testing the rug, all of the colors bleed instantly. I was going to charge 3 dollars a foot to clean it. Since the rug is heavily contaminated with urine and the only way I can remove that urine is to flush it, I think I am just going to pass on this rug. I do have some dye stabilzer, but I would still be cautious. If I was charging 400-500 to clean it then maybe I would clean it but not for a little over a hundred dollars. I will have to tell the customer to sign a waiver or I am bringing it back uncleaned. What should I do?

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
The first thing I would do is call the client and explain the issue. The client may decide she doesn't want to take that chance and the issue will be solved. If, on the other hand, she wants to accept the risk that the rug may be ruined from dye bleed, I would clean it. I don't use waivers, but I'm not telling you not to. I just try to communicate with client early and often about any concerns that might pop up.

I did explain that to the customer. I wouldn't mind using an acid based shampoo with a low moisture process, but this rug is soaked with urine. Would a dye stabilizer allow it to be submerged, or should I go with my gut and pass on this job?

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
Do you know the value of the rug?

I'm tempted to tell you to pass on it. If I had the go-ahead from the client I would clean it - but that doesn't make it a good idea! :)

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Dan post pictures, and what did you use for your dye test? Urine can make any rug bleed because of what it does to the wool. If its a hand tufted I would be more worried of delam. If its hand knotted I would pit wash unless its a severe bleader. Just had a 15 year old 8x10 Persian Kashan that was a bleeder but was able to do an all acid pit wash to flush out the rine and it came out great. Took care of all the urine, kept the bleeding reds and blues from setteling on the lighter areas and stablized the rest of the dyes from bleeding. But I knew the Acid would not cause its own bleeding like even a neutral shampoo would have after extensive testing.

Since making my last post I cleaned one of the rugs. I tested it and it to bleed just not as pronounced as the other rug. I mixed up 2 gallons of dye-loc and treated the rug. I then shampooed it with haitian cotton shampoo and rinsed and flushed it real well. Then extracted with dye loc again. The rug looks great.

The other rug I am not cleaning until the customer signs a waiver. The rug is valued around 5 thousand atleast that is what the homeowner paid for it. Right now it is not worth 10 dollars. That urine has to removed and the only way to do that is to flush it. I think if I treat it with dye-loc and use haitian cotton shampoo which is a real low ph shampoo I will be fine.

Oh yea almost forgot to mention I used the Everest's pressure washing feature to rinse the other rug. Man that thing puts out some serious water. It cut my cleaning time down in half.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
We actually use an electric pressure washer on most rugs. we keep the psi below 1200 and keep the pressure wand moving. Yellow tip. They do help quite a bit. Take a picture of the expensive rug. I'd be curious to know to see it if you wouldn't mind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom