I got my first walk up today...and I don't own a Vortex!

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
You guys won't believe this but I got 3 walk-ups while cleaning one house last week. Well actually they might not qualify as walk ups. The lady I was cleaning for was so tickled to find a cleaner that she knocked on two neighbors doors to tell them about me. The third person happened to be walking by and the lady I was cleaning for went and asked her if she needed her carpet cleaned and brought her in to look at what I just finished cleaning. She did not even know the lady that was walking by. It was kind of embarrassing. I booked two of the three jobs and the third said they had family visiting for vacation and she would call after they leave.

Joey

PS All this with a 33 blower. 8)

danpauselius

When I get walk ups, it's usually on an overnight commercial job when some junkie hits me up for 5 bucks.

minuteman

Congrats on you first "walkup" thats Great", But why would a "V" scare you so much,... all it is is annothner way to do "Business" .

I am not trying to descourage you - but I started with a "Rug D" and a Holt presrubber as a so called "PRO"!

And that is the "TRUTH"!

Greg

Scott Hayward

Greg,

A V doesn't scare me. I was poking fun at the V guys because they always seem to get the most walk ups...or brag about it the most. I have been happy with the DC 510. Super hot, super suction, and for a super price. Larry's machines rival a lot of the machines out there.

It was kind of funny though. I was cleaning a love couch for one of my wife's clients. This lady is very nice but on disablity so I gave her a bit of a break on the pricing. She receives assistance for her rental. I was kind of worried that somebody would flag me down to clean their place and sure enough it happened. I was asked to give a quote in the same neighborhood. Maybe if I had the big V I would have gotten a couple more $100.00 jobs out of the neighborhood.

It is always nice to help someone but I get more excited helping the $500.00 neighbors instead of the $100.00 neighbors.

Cleaning with a Rug Doctor??? How did that go in the early days?

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I got 3 walkups once but I was in a chemdry neighborhood and most had never seen or heard a TM, the guy I was cleaning for sold them for me, I didn't have to do a thing

5 around has never worked for me, have not got one job from it

Al

I'm convinced a V will get way more walk ups than an ordinary van. Our chevy 1 ton is sharp and always clean, walk ups happened occasionally.

Now with the box truck, stuff happens all the time...not just walk ups ...lots of drive by's and we saw your truck calls...We've even been followed to job sites.

Some of this comes from the excitement of the owner, you are all pumped up with your sweet rig and it shows! This excitement sells...." sell the sizzle not the steak".

Here is another scenario,
We stopped at a bowling alley for a cold call while on a job. It was a nice looking place called "Spare Time".

We walked in and it was sweet all bright mixed colored carpet set up for family's and kids parties, it is a new place.

So we find the manager, he says "it's your lucky day, our other cleaner didn't show up and we are getting a quote this afternoon from a another cleaner, so write me a quote and leave it on the desk".

I say ok, but could you just take a second to look at our equipment?

He kinda laughs it off.."Ive seen all the equipment for cc'ing just leave me a quote".

Ok, we quote it and I see the manager BS'ing with the counter girl so I approach him again and he points toward his desk, "just leave it and I'll get back to you". He says.

I say Sir could you just humor me for a moment and take a look at our equipment?
He reluctantly agreed and followed us out....to make a long story short,
he immediately wanted to know if we could handle all 5 locations and the "other cleaner estimate" was forgotten.

We cleaned that location 2 night's later and we landed all 5 locations
the second one is twice the size almost 8000 sf. Haven't seen the others yet.

A restaurant that I have tried to get periodically for a couple of years, it was a former client of a cleaning business I purchased but had since changed cleaners. It's a clean restaurant, the kind we like and the old invoices showed they payed very well. So I stalked it..Gino was always happy with his new cleaner.
So one day while in the area I stopped in and got Gino to look at our set up. Long story short, We cleaned it Monday, during the day too, they are closed.
I never knew Gino had three locations. He mentioned them when he saw the truck.

Get the picture? Big rigs rock.....ours is so clean and sweet inside we show them the cimex and rotary that we pre scrub with explain what we do different and better than everyone else, everything is clean and
polished. They want it bad!!

al

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
If it is a nice day out I park my box truck down at town square and leave it for 5 or 6 hrs and almost always get calls. Sometimes I will put business cards on cars while I am there.

minuteman

Hi Scott,
You asked, "Cleaning with a Rug Doctor??? How did that go in the early days?"

It was very hard work, hot water came from the tap, and you could garrente the carpets dry in a few days at best, the Holt was a 14" wth a 3 or 4 gallon tank on it and very heavy, you had to dump the "R-D" so often that you started to hate the fact you where a carpet cleaner, and "SUDS", "you walked in shampoo" to top it off I had to drive it all around in a Pinto Wagon. Then I got a partner - "Big Mistake" - and a Bane Clene, he ripped me blind and took the equipment with him, and then a "Steam Gennie" it was a basket case that I picked up for $250.00 got it working and put it in the back of a 75 Chevy 1/2 ton "Love Truck", ran that for over 10 or 12 years but I moved it in and out of two vans. Still have the old "SG" with a # 3 blower and a Paloma LP water heater and a SS Hydro Cell water pump.

Greg

Scott Hayward

That's funny Greg. A Pinto station wagon. In 1976-77 my Dad owned one of those. I used to think the thing was huge. Seatbelts were never worn back then and we liked to play in the back. One day Dad had to slam on the brakes and I rolled into the front seats. My brother and I would make my sister sit on the "hump" between the two back seats. No cushion or seatbelt for her either. Life was good.

Al, I believe what you say. Size & equipment helps out. Glad you guys are getting good business. My van is real sharp but I have always been curious if a van wrap would draw more attention. I didn't want to spend the money though and figured the high end market may prefer something more elegant so we'll see what happens with the current lettering I have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom