I am just about to pull the trigger!

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I am about ready to buy an equipment truck but i am a bit nervous as to if i am doing it to early. i only own 32 fans and 9 dehus and a few air scubbers and other misc equipment like foggers and ozone machines. i am not sure if i should get a truck dedicated for equipment or i should suck it up and continue to use my cousins trucks to move around equipment. my question is at what point did you buy a truck and how has it helped your biz? also is there any downside to it?

topnotchman

I always wanted another truck for just flood work. When I bought my new carpet cleaning van, I turned my old van into a water damage truck. Haven't done many jobs with it yet, but its real nice. Everything is already loaded ready to go. So when you get the call you get in and go. Before I had to unload my van, load my equipment goto the job, then if I had to do cleaning I had to reload all my cleaning equipment, it was a pain. I think its helped because of increased productivity and being fully prepared with a truck thats all ready to go. I just did this last year, my 5th year in business. Downside? Depends on your situation, my old van is paid for so no expense for a payment, but I guess carrying the extra insurance, gas, maintenance, everything the van will need when you use it. I dont think its a necessity if you dont do a lot of water losses, but even if you dont, I think its just really convenient.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The Water Loss Institute held a conference in May of 1996 and after the conference we toured Butch Carpenter-Ideal Restoration's plant and walked through his water trucks. I'd never seen a truck dedicated just for WDR.

I came back with pictures and showed Dan and father, the consensus was that's big city stuff and we live in a city of just over 120,000 pop, so we shelved it.

3-months later we had a big loss and we spent nearly an hour loading 2-box trucks with enough equipment to do the job.

We put together our first WDR truck after that, we now have 4-of them servicing Topeka & Lawrence.

As far as an equipment hauler we've only had that for a couple of years.

Michael I'm the cautious brother, so unless the you have the work load I'd wait.

However if business is on the rise then the box truck will help with productivity, it is also be a great marketing tool. A Rolling billboard for restoration! 8)

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
i want the truck to increase my productivity. when i have to take an hour or two to unload my truck and load as much as i can fit in it. then i have to rely on my cousins or friends to bring there trucks and load them up. right now i would only use the truck four or five times a month but it would also serve as a continous storage for the equipment when not in use, freeing up more room in the shop. also i am looking at it from a professional stand point, and that is it doesnt look that good when i show up with three pickups to deliver and setup equipment. the other factor is fire work. i will be taking a couple of courses on fire and this truck can be a dual use untill the company grows enough for a dedicated fire truck.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Pull the trigger on it! It looks like you're wanting to get more into restoration, and that is great! The box truck itself will play a nice emotional role for your company and for those that you serve. Think of it like this; you have the truck because that is a part of the industry you plan to specialize in. You can just jump in and you're ready to go, none of that packing up equipment crap wasting time. You can also use it in your WDR marketing! I would even go as far as making an announcement and taking pictures of it nicely organized with it also logo'd or wrapped and send it to your current customers. Announcing to them "you have all the tools and equipment for their water restoration needs" ect, it'll show you mean business!

A fire truck is much harder, but I would be sure to have things like plywood/OBC board and drills to board up windows on hand to help the securing process of the home so that you can begin the work.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I talked the owner down another grand. I will be seeing the truck tommorow for the first time and really cant wait to buy it. Will probably pick up some equipment at jobs tommorow i should of picked up today.
I know you cant see me right now but i am so giddy :mrgreen:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
is there a company that builds the inside out to hold the equipment or should i just get a local guy to make me shelves and stuff?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
i only have 2 of that style fan. does anybody have this style of hanging rack? i wonder if they still move around and maybe fall.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have that racking in our TES trailer.

It works great, the trailer bounces more than your truck ever will and they don't ever come off the holders.

We bolted the holders to some plywood and attached the plywood to the wall.

TESinterior-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom