How realistic is this?

hogjowl

Idiot™
Or, in other words, is this workable for you?

I was talking to a friend the other day who works for a certified company. They claim to vacuum as the IICRC says we should. I was just talking about things in general with him and remembered that prevacuuming was a relatively new practice for their company. I asked him if they were having success with it, or had they decided it was too much trouble. I thought it might not last long with them because they are over the phone pricers and run their business much like Ken Snow runs his. (They are a very big company running several trucks on the road every day.) He said they were still doing it, and even though they fought some initial resistance from their employees at first, he said they seem to be adjusting to it fairly well.

I asked him if they had to go up on the price any for vacuuming and he said they went up $5.00 per average size room. Anything over 300 s.f. for them is large. He said they offered a discount of $5.00 per room off the price if the customer did the vacuuming. Of course, once he said that, I then asked if they were running glided wands. (I figured they must not be if they were willing to go into a house and clean after a customer did a half way job vacuuming.) He said they had tried both the slotted and the hole glided wands and the employees didn't like them. He said they all complained that the vacuum didn't feel as strong with a glide on the wand.

I asked him if drying times were ever an issue with his customers and he said he never gets complaints on drying times. He said the complaints, when they got them, was from the guys cleaning too fast that the customer feeling they had been cheated. He said a policy of always going back and doing what it took to correct the situation almost always solved any issues they may encounter. When I told him my drying times were in the 1.5 to 2 hour range he was impressed, but asked if my customers noticed? Truthfully, I couldn't say anyone ever had. I just siad I liked my hole glide because it was easier on my body, and that is the truth.

Anyway, my real question is this:

Do you really care about any of this, or did I just spend the last 5 minutes typing a DAT?

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
i have always pre-vac'd and have had many custys comment on how much they appreciate it...cuz the "last" company that came out DIDN'T pre-vac. So, right from the beggining i've set myself apart from 1/2 the cleaners...then win them over with great cleaning...no rushing...i believe that repeats/referrals are our bread-n-butter...these guys that spash n dash can't get a high % of repeats/refs...at least i wouldn't think so. I'd personally feel a little cheated if someone came in/out in 20 minutes. As far as glides...for those guys to not love em'....hmmm..can't really understand that. Our primary cleaning equipment is the "powerhead"...same as RX20...but we also carry wands on the truck...and I bought glides...love em!! Anyone not using a glides is living in the past.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I've read about a lot of large companies that have young technicians that don't like glides because of the very similar reason that Marty posted. They thought their wand felt weak. Well Hell if a young gun thinks he is using a weak tool, you bet your but he is going to make it pull him to the floor kinda of power... least in their young futile mind. The younger technicians simply don't understand that you can get better air flow and thus better drying along with an easier to use carpet wand. Hell I thought that when I started out and kept with my drimaster for a couple of months after getting the glide. I didn't think I could clean deep enough. Of course I knew what kinda of moisture I could lay down and pull with my rotary drimaster: at 350 to 400 psi I could lay down and suck up 1.5 gpm. I didn't realize I could crank my pressure on my wand and still clean just as deep while still recovering all of the moisture. when I figured that out, I stopped being an 80% RDM, 20% and became a 90% wand and 10% rotary drimaster.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Common complaint on the glide issue, but usually it's the older guys who are used to judging extraction by the bite a wand has on the carpet.

Take care,
Lisa

Greenie

Realistic?
Depends.
There are some 30 truck companys that refuse to work without a glide, they buy them 20 at a time, then there are other 30 truck companys that refuse.

To each his own.

I know damn well if I were that hourly tech doing 6 jobs a day, I'd have a glide or find work elsewhere, (someone) will let you use a glide, and be happy to have your forward thinking mentality onboard.

Of course, Co. A in my example above uses a lot of BIG trucks, their smallest unit is a 47 blower butler.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I recently cleaned my high school buddy's house and asked him to take note of how long it takes to dry.

2 hours.

All that by using my outdated stainless steel glided angled 4 jet (always came with angled jets standard) 16 inch castex POS wand.

So no I don't buy all this BS about teflon glides because its the quality of the wand that matters and how well it was engineered.

And if you use a 18 inch hoover conquest vacuum it will take you minutes to vacuum an entire house.

:shock:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Some people care about your post Marty. In a world of salesmen using an owner operator's insecurity to get them to buy what they don't need, it's refreshing to be reminded that customers want clean carpet and don't really care how you get it clean.

In the trucking industry, lots of owner operators trick out their trucks, paint their names on the doors, and staunchly stick to their favorite brand. Big companies call the tractors "head units" and purchase whatever brand gives them the best monetary return over a pre-planned replacement schedule. Both are businesses, but the big guy is a better businessman.

Cleaning companies get big when their owners see what has a real long-term monetary return and do it. They make choices based on logic and reason instead of a cleaning religion, and certainly don't base their sense of self-worth on their cleaning equipment.

PS: It took a more mature Mikey to admit that few of his customers really bought into the "big truck" mythology. He keeps this up and he might be on his way to running a big company. :wink:

Bob Foster

I don't think the average customer would even notice a big truck in the driveway let alone that there is a white thing on the end of the carpet cleaners wand. However they would notice a poor appearance, poor manners and poor care of their home and belongings.

They only want to know if their carpet came up clean and how much longer you are going to be and when they can use their rooms again.

The rest is all on your mind and not theirs.

Cameron1

Do you really care about any of this, or did I just spend the last 5 minutes typing a DAT?

As long as you are getting raving reviews I don't think it matters. Vac........glides......big truck.......little truck.

It boils down to your business model

Chads

Supportive Member
I have come to the conclusion, that I wont use a glide most of the time when I'm trying to do the best cleaning I can because at this point Drying is not a issue with me it dries just fine. I do vacummn as this is a very important step and not just so I could use a glide. I dont use the glide because of the extra aggitation is so important to me even when I have pre scrubbed with my Host machine, I still can see a difference and I run plenty of flow and pressure. More of each step is always better right, dont get me wrong i love a glide at times just not always. JMO. and yes this is a D.A.T.

TimP

I really don't care what some business up in alabama does. Especially if they go with glides or without.

However I wont ever go glideless, even if it means vacuuming. Even with a hole glide I do get a decent tug at the wand, but nothing like I would without it. It seems to me like they are not running their blowers the way they should so that it's not too hard to push a wand, either that or they are choking down their hoses with 1.5" hose to make them pushable. All I know is when I take the glide off my greenhorn I can't push it forward unless I really force it. I can pull it but forget pushing it. And even if I wanted to really push it there is no way I'd do it for a whole room not to mention a whole day. Way too much work, I'd rather take 2 times a long and vacuum then push a locked down wand. Hell I hated doing stairs w/o a glide I'd say it's like pushing a 40-50 lb object back and forth on stairs....way too much work for me.

TimP

If you put your reading glasses on Marty you'll find that I pretty well figured that much or running their blowers with lower lift etc.

bobkinnarney

Marty, u have a friend ? Jimmy has a buddy. You guys should switch. Jimmy take the friend and Marty has the buddy. You could be " pork buddy's" :lol:

Back
Top Bottom