How much solvent protector would you use on these?

Mikey P

Administrator
??

Seat cushions are fixed...

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The manufacturer recommendations should guide you, but with the products I've tested, I'd look at 24 ounces per piece, the bottom one representing about the same as "two pieces", so 48 ounces total on that one.

That will create a great deal of fumes, and potential health and fire hazards. I would make sure you have a great deal of ventilation, respiratory protection, and the customer out of the house.

Nevada customers should remain out of the house until the odor dissipates, California customers a week, and only after a dozen governmental agencies and a Wiccan priestess guarantees that the home is free of all toxins real and imagined.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I use a hand sprayer and a soft bristle brush to spread the droplets (and groom as I go).

How much? Enough to leave the surface damp looking. Also I try to ventilate to the outside, on the assumption that the VOC is heavier than air.

Tom Forsythe

Solvent based protectors are necessary for some fibers that bleed and can be damaged by water. These fibers looked like they would respond well with water based protectors like Advanced Protector with Teflon and definitely with Maxim Advanced for Upholstery unless I am missing something. From the new solvent raws that I have seen approved by the EPA, the day is soon coming that you will avoid solvent based protectors like the plague, except for problematic fabrics that Jim Pemberton can quickly enumerate.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Solvent based protectors are necessary for some fibers that bleed and can be damaged by water. These fibers looked like they would respond well with water based protectors like Advanced Protector with Teflon and definitely with Maxim Advanced for Upholstery unless I am missing something. From the new solvent raws that I have seen approved by the EPA, the day is soon coming that you will avoid solvent based protectors like the plague, except for problematic fabrics that Jim Pemberton can quickly enumerate.
The maximum advanced for upholstery has dye-loc to prevent bleeding. It is also slightly acidic and won't cause browning. I am using it on linen with great results. I apply with an electric airless sprayer. Just be careful not to over wet. 2 light coats are better than 1 heavy coat. I will never use a solvent protector again.

randy

Name
Randy
I'm currently using the Harvard stuff as well just private labeled by a local shop. it does well but for the life of me I can't see how anyone can cover that much surface with less than 1/2 gal.

I used to love complete seal but they got weird requiring that you become a dealer and stock 10k worth of the stuff so bye bye....

Cobb's solvent protector is good also but none of the above approach the effectiveness of the complete seal .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom