How much is your client list worth

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
I have an opportunity to purchase a competitors list of about 500 active clients and some decent commercial accounts

I’m having a hard time putting a value on it because they have always used his service and there is no guarantee they would use mine

All the data is in a crm and price information his prices are good

No phone number involved due to offering other services still

He isn’t cleaning carpets anymore

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have an opportunity to purchase a competitors list of about 500 active clients and some decent commercial accounts

I’m having a hard time putting a value on it because they have always used his service and there is no guarantee they would use mine

All the data is in a crm and price information his prices are good

No phone number involved due to offering other services still

He isn’t cleaning carpets anymore
Rather than a cash buyout, see if he will take a commission on work booked on his customer list for the first year. 5% on jobs you book and 10% on jobs he refers to you.

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
Rather than a cash buyout, see if he will take a commission on work booked on his customer list for the first year. 5% on jobs you book and 10% on jobs he refers to you.
Well that’s the thing I’m thinking also or half cash and half commission until paid

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
$15,000 is pretty high in my opinion. Think about what kind of advertising you could do for that price. It's different if you can have the phone number forwarded to your phone. Better he refers the customers to you. Gives him a chance to explain who you are to the customer, that he trusts you to do a good job, etc. I would hesitate to put any cash money up in advance.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I think the location has a strong determination on how to value a customer list. I see you're in Southern California. Is that a little town or is that like a ridiculously overpopulated city?

Because if it's a little town with very few competitors and he's the best in the city and surrounding counties, then his customer list could be worth what he's asking. But if he's in a major metropolis with 500 other cleaning companies, 500 active customers is worth commission only per job.

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
Ok thanks ya he is talking about set
$15,000 is pretty high in my opinion. Think about what kind of advertising you could do for that price. It's different if you can have the phone number forwarded to your phone. Better he refers the customers to you. Gives him a chance to explain who you are to the customer, that he trusts you to do a good job, etc. I would hesitate to put any cash money up in advance.

He is talking about setting up a system that when people car for carpet cleaning they would press a number that would then be forwarded to my company

I just don’t know about how much I can make off his list
People at times don’t seem loyal in this industry and are looking for a deal

My customers want me or a deal

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
I think the location has a strong determination on how to value a customer list. I see you're in Southern California. Is that a little town or is that like a ridiculously overpopulated city?

Because if it's a little town with very few competitors and he's the best in the city and surrounding counties, then his customer list could be worth what he's asking. But if he's in a major metropolis with 500 other cleaning companies, 500 active customers is worth commission only per job.
Ok thanks yes there are endless amounts of competitors

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Ok thanks ya he is talking about set

He is talking about setting up a system that when people car for carpet cleaning they would press a number that would then be forwarded to my company

I just don’t know about how much I can make off his list
People at times don’t seem loyal in this industry and are looking for a deal

My customers want me or a deal
30 years ago I bought a small business, phone number, yellow pages ad, about 300 customers on index cards. It was a great start for me. Many customers never noticed the change. I paid about $5000 for everything, including an old beat up portable and some accessories. 30 years later, I still have a lot of the original customers and some of their children. (As customers that is)

Reactions: BIG WOOD
F

FB7777

Without the number, you're buying a customer list that you are going to have to actively pursue

Edit... just saw where the company will forward to you manually.

You said what he thinks it is worth. What do you value it at?

Reactions: Mr Brightside

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
30 years ago I bought a small business, phone number, yellow pages ad, about 300 customers on index cards. It was a great start for me. Many customers never noticed the change. I paid about $5000 for everything, including an old beat up portable and some accessories. 30 years later, I still have a lot of the original customers and some of their children. (As customers that is)
AND...the portable. 😄

F

FB7777

I'd also be interested in how many are repeat customers and how long commercial accounts have been on board

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
The value of a carpet cleaning business is not really in the beat up equipment. It's in the "Book of business". You are buying his book. Unless these customers are on contracts that revolve, don't do it. They are just names on paper unless they are locked into contracts. If you are in the Mecca of southern Ca, you should have no problem finding your own customers.

Reactions: Mr Brightside

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
The value of a carpet cleaning business is not really in the beat up equipment. It's in the "Book of business". You are buying his book. Unless these customers are on contracts that revolve, don't do it. They are just names on paper unless they are locked into contracts. If you are in the Mecca of southern Ca, you should have no problem finding your own customers.

I can definitely find my own but what If I did both haha

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
Ok I guess I have a fear of missing out... I don’t want to pass up an opportunity if it is an opportunity
If not then there is nothing to miss out on

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Ok I guess I have a fear of missing out... I don’t want to pass up an opportunity if it is an opportunity
If not then there is nothing to miss out on
You're not missing out. What's the guy going to do? He'll have to refer someone, hang up on the caller, or go clean it himself. Focus on a good website, building relationships, and referrals. That will keep you busy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom