How many rooms ahead do you prespray before you extract?

Bob Foster

This is a question that has been asked before but I think more of us are using longer dwell times and more agitation so it merits another look.

I usually will spray out a whole house if its a smaller one and then agitate. If I know I am going to agitate I lay my prespray on heavier on the hopes that it will distribute more prespray and stay wet longer.

When I am extracting and I get to an area where the prespray has dried out from a draft or sun I will lightly mist over the area with my wand slightly over the carpet to rehydrate the area and then continue on to extract that room.

Do any of you believe like I do that a reapplication of prespray is not necessary because all you really need to do is rehydrate the existing prespray?

TimP

Bob, you're doing it exactly the way I do it. I spray out a whole house then get going with the rinsing and moving furniture back. Then spray where furniture is and rinse the rest. It saves a bunch of time not to mention gives the detergent more dwell time. And I always leave less moisture extracting than I prespray so drying is not an issue at all for me.

G

Thats what the pump up or electric sprayers are good for; I also do a prespray of intire area; have a souped up version of prespray for traffic area and such.

G

That's what I do, Bob. Except I only go 2 rooms ahead of myself.

Name
Eric Valentine
I prespray all of the carpet, and if it dries on me, I do like Foster does, and air wand it. Same prespray for all the areas, but high traffic areas get sprayed heavier.

Name
BradFenstermaker
If an empty I pretreat the whole house. If occupied 3 rms and do one after the first is done and so on.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
TimP said:
And I always leave less moisture extracting than I prespray so drying is not an issue at all for me.

clarify that for me, Tim
I'm not sure what you're saying
Thanks

Guess i toss out the obligatory "depends/variable" thingie

as a rule of thumb, we pre-spray as far ahead as we can with out concern of it drying before we get there

heavy application of P-S, we spray farther ahead.
Less P-S needed, less far

In res where/if folks are home, we don't spray too far ahead of ourselves regardless.
cuz... if we're in the bed rms and will be there for 20-30-50 minutes before we get to the lving/dinning/family rm, it increases the risk of Mrs Phiff busting her heiney.
especially if the bd rms are upstairs and she's going about her business down

..l.T.A.

TimP

grouNd meAt said:
TimP said:
And I always leave less moisture extracting than I prespray so drying is not an issue at all for me.

clarify that for me, Tim
Thanks

When I get done prespraying my carpet is wetter than after I get done rinsing and extracting. In other words what I'm saying is it usually takes 4 hours to dry after extracting for me. And if the carpet has more moisture with prespray on the carpet then it will take longer than 4 hours to dry. And I can tell ya that it don't take no 4 hours to do 90%+ of the homes I do once I start extracting. Prespraying a whole house of carpet works well for me.

R

rotovacguy

grouNd meAt said:
TimP said:

clarify that for me, Tim
Thanks

Guess i toss out the obligatory "depends/variable" thingie

as a rule of thumb, we pre-spray as far ahead as we can with out concern of it drying before we get there

heavy application of P-S, we spray farther ahead.
Less P-S needed, less far

In res where/if folks are home, we don't spray too far ahead of ourselves regardless.
cuz... if we're in the bed rms and will be there for 20-30-50 minutes before we get to the lving/dinning/family rm, it increases the risk of Mrs Phiff busting her heiney.
especially if the bd rms are upstairs and she's going about her business down

..l.T.A.

Same here. Most houses in my area are less then 1200 square feet, so I can usually prespray the whole place before extracting. Every so often I'll get a house that's like in the 2-3000 square foot range, on those houses I'll start upstairs prespray and extract, then hit the downstairs last.

Becker

Name
Becker
It really depends.

Vacant?
Soil level?
Size?
Air temp?
Humidity?

I will often spray out the whole house when ideal.

TimP

rotovacguy said:
Same here. Most houses in my area are less then 1200 square feet, so I can usually prespray the whole place before extracting. Every so often I'll get a house that's like in the 2-3000 square foot range, on those houses I'll start upstairs prespray and extract, then hit the downstairs last.

Exactly what I've been saying for a while. We had this conversation a while back and most thought I was crazy to spray as far ahead of me as I do. Now it's a different story. :roll:

steve g

Name
steve garrett
in texas I used to prespray the whole house sure made things faster I could put away the HF as soon as I was done, its so dry here in utah I normally just do one room at a time, sometimes if the rooms are really small I will do 2 at a time.

Name
Ron lippold
in the summer im able to only prespray a couple of rooms ahead or it will dry. I wish they could make wetter water.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
vacant 2 story home ..all up stairs first then the stairs ..then all down stairs

vacant single story home..I spray all of it...

occupied homes I spray all rooms closes to me so I can see what is going on......
Most of the homes I do the rooms are split across the house and I can just see while I am at one end someone walking across the wet carpet at the other end and slipping and breaking there ass.......

harryhides

Name
Tony
Here's some possible reasons Curtis:

On older ie more impacted soil
On Berbers
On thin, worn out areas
On lighter colored Poly and Olefin carpets.

Too much prespray, being allowed to sit for too long will cause more likelihood of wicking. Unless you have massive vac and use 100 gallons of water to flush out every job, you just may be returning to deal with wicking issues.

CleanEvo

2-3 rooms ahead usually.

I've tried spraying more but find that the pre-spray dries up on me and I was taught that when the pre-spray dries it can actually make the carpets harder to clean (not sure if that's true ir not??). Maybe I just move too slow, I don't use a helper.

harryhides said:
Here's some possible reasons Curtis:

On older ie more impacted soil
On Berbers
On thin, worn out areas
On lighter colored Poly and Olefin carpets.

Too much prespray, being allowed to sit for too long will cause more likelihood of wicking. Unless you have massive vac and use 100 gallons of water to flush out every job, you just may be returning to deal with wicking issues.

Well I must have massive...lol vac and I do flush....

Back
Top Bottom