HOW far.............will YOU GO?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
With this gas crunch and slow economy I restrict my service area to 20 miles.

Whats yours?

G

So if you have a $400 job at 25 miles you want go do it because you are spending a extra $4 in gas :oops:

One of our regulars, a factory, has a sister shop in Petosky, MI and are sending us up there to do all carpets and VCT. They are flipping the bill for our hotel rooms AND our gas. It's approx. 250 miles from where we are located. We look to make about 4K, and possibly spend a few days on the beach. :D Other than that, we will go up to 30 miles if the job is good sized.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
i havent restricted. i just charge a $1 a mile outside 15.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I'll go as far as the money will take me. anything outside of 20 miles is a $200.00 minimum and goes up with the mileage.

Al

We end up traveling a lot, Monday we did a job 79 miles away, it was a nice job and covered travel. We are always working down by the Ocean which is a 30 minute drive to the closest point. :mrgreen:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We've been sending a 20-man crew 1-hr 15 min away for a fire loss at a retirement community. Twice a day for nearly two weeks, I'm going to hate July's gas bill.

As long as it's worth it to the customer to pay for us, we will go there.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Remember Dirk these small town people have that small town attitude.

Most don't clean their carpet or they won't pay too much.

But the people who move here from Omaha are different.

Remind me to go up to Lincoln 50 miles away and take those roach motels from you.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
anything over 10 miles is a $20.00 charge. Very rarely do I go beyond 15 miles but I will go up to 30 miles out on the highway

Greg Loe

I have a small town I clean once a year. 1 1/2 hours away. I stay with a friend and clean for 3 days. About $4000.

TimP

I generaly stay within 20 miles. I'll go further if the job is big enough or the customer will pay enough to make it worth it. Price starts going up pretty quick though. To go 50 miles I want 150 bucks minimum or around 35 cents a square depending. As you can imagine I don't get many takers.

Rex Tyus

This is really a tough one for me. I originally built my business going to the places no one else wanted. Now not only the price of fuel is a deterent but the cost of drive time. The short answer is about 35 miles (just far enough to keep TimP honest :D ) But even at that I schedule it like a pest control route. It has to be a significant amount of work scheduled to make the trip. I am giving up more and more as it simply is not profitable to operate on the fringe anymore. The good news is when I can't or don't want to drive there I usually know someone in the area to refer.

TimP

Rex, it wont be long before you wont make money coming down here or you're going to have to go up on your min service charge. I guess the cost of gas is helping me quite a bit in that aspect.

Funny thing is the guy who has the equipment of a former cleaner in the area is trying to make a slight push (he has a sign in a shopping center suite door....I don't know if he's going to put a store front in or what??? confuses the hell out of me)....I guess he thinks he can get a share hold charging less using his Bane. Good thing is he doesn't have a clue....he came to my shop a few weeks ago looking for chemicals.....if I was there I probably would of told him I don't really have anything that works in a bane too good. Anyways my wife told him we don't sell chemicals cause the guy gave her the creeps. All I can say is I'm not worried in the slightest he can fight with stanley for the low ballers, not to mention he only does it part time and mostly in the summer at least so far.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
We will go 60 miles but more if they pay.

The best calls are the people from out of town that call and say up front " I know it will cost more to come here but".

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I am doing a 120 mile round trip tomorrow

7 little ranches houses in a small town, all less then 900 sq ft and no furniture moving

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
We have 2 shops. One of them is in the next town over at the owners house. Because we advertise that we have a shop in that town, we get a lot of business in that town, but we also have to charge our mileage based off of that town, even though I have to drive twenty miles to get there. So... I can only charge for twenty extra miles on a 60 mile drive instead of 40....

Read it again, it'll make sense...

I hope...

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I live near Sacramento and go up to South Lake Tahoe (100 miles) and clean for a couple of friends who own vaca rentals. Good amount of money. I just went up there and did the work a caught about an hour or so of the Celeb golf tournament at hole 17. My buddy just boats over from his house and bbqs on the beach about 20 feet from the tee. Awesome set up. Could hardly see the lake from the smoke from all the fires though. Still very cool.

Back
Top Bottom