How do you get your customer's email address?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
inquiring minds want to know.

My Full Circle girls do it for me (not like that Chavez) when they schedule the job.
We tell them that we like to email a "pretty" copy of their invoice.

You?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
while on the phone getting their info, I simply ask:...and your email is....

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
tmdry said:
If this works ... great. BUT "reports from the field" tell us that more and more people are reluctant to give up their e-mail address with a "Valid Business Reason" (VBR) behind the request. (Heck, I don't normally give away my e-mail addy when booking a hotel room. I just say "No, why don't you just give me the confirmation number over the phone now?")

So now I recommend adding a VBR as an excuse for your request. The one that seems to work the best is AFTER getting all of their information is to use a "Colombo close" as in, "Oh, by the way Mrs. Jones, I almost forgot. I'd like to send you a checklist of how to get your home ready for your carpet cleaning. Do you have an e-mail address and I'll send the checklist off right now?"

Over 95% of your clients will immediately give up their e-mail if you give them a VBR for your request. Just saying ... :)

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Once you have this addy use it with discretion. The best way to use it is for an e-mailed "thank you note/ Quality Check form" that also includes a tactful request (groveling plea?) for on-line reviews and links to them to make it easy for your client to post them. (Remember Brian, the word "testimonial" is banned now!)

In fact, starting tomorrow in our weekly SFS QuickTIPS I have a series starting on how to get on-line Cheerleader reviews. You can sign up for free to get these little nuggets (VBR) right here:

http://sfs.jondon.com/3720/resources/qu ... -quicktips

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yes I know...I ask for "Raving Reviews" now...just haven't gotten around to changing it on my website.
And If I change the page name it's screws up my SEO. lol...not too much..just a PITA.

Just a quick "We like to send an invoice copy via email after job completion" works fine for me for getting the email address.
I so tell them that they will get reminders from us...but I don't tell them whether or not it's email or snail mail unless they ask. Then of course it's "both".

Most people now have more than one email address anyway.
One for personal and one for "spammers" for when they are signing up for anything.
Most websites require an email address for buying or signing up for anything.

And that's ok...they still check both so we won't get completely lost in the shuffle...maybe only a little.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Steve Toburen said:
tmdry said:
If this works ... great. BUT "reports from the field" tell us that more and more people are reluctant to give up their e-mail address with a "Valid Business Reason" (VBR) behind the request. (Heck, I don't normally give away my e-mail addy when booking a hotel room. I just say "No, why don't you just give me the confirmation number over the phone now?")

So now I recommend adding a VBR as an excuse for your request. The one that seems to work the best is AFTER getting all of their information is to use a "Colombo close" as in, "Oh, by the way Mrs. Jones, I almost forgot. I'd like to send you a checklist of how to get your home ready for your carpet cleaning. Do you have an e-mail address and I'll send the checklist off right now?"

Steve, yes it works, no but's here. I got that great line from your friend HP, I'm not a member of his marketing, but I did see a video on youtube of his that he mentioned about emails. I also tell clients right after I get the email, that I will send a checklist so they can prepare for us, we are paperless, and this is the reason we ask for the emails. The only time I have not gotten their emails was because the girls @ Full Circle forgot or did not do it "my way", the reason i say that "my way" is because there has been several times where they did not get the email and I had to ask the client at the end of the job or the client did not get the checklist (which full circle is also instructed to send).

Now don't take me wrong, but I will have to disagree with your "open ended question" "Do you have an e-mail address?", who in the right mind does not have an email address? Even the elderly have MacBooks these days, lol. I prefer NOT asking an open ended question especially for their email, and doing it the way I explained, and than letting them know why you're getting it. Much easier this way, and hardly ever you'll get a no.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
tmdry said:
Now don't take me wrong, but I will have to disagree with your "open ended question" "Do you have an e-mail address?", who in the right mind does not have an email address? Even the elderly have MacBooks these days, lol. I prefer NOT asking an open ended question especially for their email, and doing it the way I explained, and than letting them know why you're getting it. Much easier this way, and hardly ever you'll get a no.
Good point. I stand corrected. I think I'll modify the script into a statement/question: "We do have a few suggestions for you on how to get your home ready for the "big day". If I can have your e-mail I'll send you our checklist over right now."

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS BTW, to my casual eye Brian deserves a lot of commendation on how well this room has taken off. Lots of good ideas here already and I'm sure more to come. And a surprising lack of snarkiness too.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I'm just thankful of the minds that have been participating...I really didn't expect it to happen like that.
So thanks for the vote Steve and thanks to you and everyone else giving up their info.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Brian R said:
I'm just thankful of the minds that have been participating...
Now if we could just get Brevik involved my joy would be complete!

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS seriously, Brian, I'm learning a lot. I'm way backward on the mechanics of the Internet. however, the more involved i get the more I realize marketing is marketing and the Internet is just a different, albeit very efficient, marketing medium. Big Billy is famous for saying "marketing is just telling your story". And I think this still holds true even in cyberspace!

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Steve Toburen said:
tmdry said:
If I can have your e-mail I'll send you our checklist over right now."

I've been trained all my life in sales to avoid open ended questions, I know you're a sales/marketing guy and very good one, which you have my respect. But personally I try to avoid those type of questions, the way I see is if the client is already giving me their name, address, phone, place they found me, info about their home, and so forth, the email is just another "fill in the blank". To me when you ask a question in the end it looks almost as saying "pretty please", that's why I do it the way I've mentioned above and than tell them, "we're paperless", "and btw I will send you an email right now confirming our appointment and easy checklist on how you can prepare for us". Client always says "wow great!".

Maybe the "old timers" don't like giving out their email these days? Just giving you a hard time :lol:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I've had a few of my "old timers" tell me they didn't have email. I believe them...sometimes. My mom doesn't have email...which sucks because God knows I would keep in contact better. lol..you know, put her on my mailing lists. :shock:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Brian R said:
I've had a few of my "old timers" tell me they didn't have email. I believe them...sometimes. My mom doesn't have email...which sucks because God knows I would keep in contact better. lol..you know, put her on my mailing lists. :shock:

I have gotten the old timers do that to me sometimes, they usually have a hearing aid and I have to sit there and repeat myself several times why we are getting the emails, most of them once they understand they are fine w/ it. Every once in a while, I get some lady that won't give it out, I tell her I can't give you a paper receipt, they usually don't want it anyway.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Email is awesome but really if they are reluctant to give it out...those are the people you don't want to email anyway.

They kind of weed themselves out...and that's a good thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom