How do you cover yours & your familys health care?

-JB-

Name
JB
After 10 years without it, we got it ourselves, through the chamber at the time it was $330 ish a month, that was several years ago. Now the wife gets it through work for about $160/mo. our cost, her employer pays the rest.

Name
BradFenstermaker
YO YO JB,

Glad you picked up insurance. We pay for individual policies for each of us. It is cheaper that way when self employed. Blue Cross Blueshield is the provider. Actually not to expensive except for the high Deductable.

Brad

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
You guys are probably way ahead of me on this but the HSA concept (Health Savings Account) is something that I have FINALLY started investigating. (My son, Matt, who is in charge of our family's finances has been bugging me on this for years.)

Simply put, you go with a high deductible insurance plan and then can deposit the amount of your deductible with BEFORE TAX dollars into an investment account which also draws interest tax free. You can use the money to pay your deductible or virtually any other health related expense. So now you are paying with before tax dollars, which for many self-employed people between social Security and income tax may mean a savings of 30 to 40%.

I'm no expert on this stuff but thought I would bring it up.

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS Blue Cross supports this concept and I believe is affiliated with Wells Fargo even though you can set up your HSA in many different places.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Wife is a psychologist and my whole family has coverage through her company. BC/BS is the provider.

G

My wife has some medical problems which require a group policy. Those get expensive. Bare Bones insurance for the 2 of us was close to 800.00. Kids was on medicaid but they lowered the family income requirements so now I am searching. GA peachcare stopped taking applications so we are looking also.

Fred Geyen

We have had a high deductible plan for 15-20 years and it has saved us money. BlueCross. We personally cannot get a Health Savings Plan because "get this our deductible is too high" it makes it look like we make too much money and don't need the break.

All of our employee's DO have company health plan. We pay 65% they pay 35%. Also set up a HSP (health savings plan) for them with a $1500.00 deductible of which we pay $750.00 before tax's right into their Mellon Bank Account.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
For those who are incorporated, A cafeteria plan with health care option has the equivalent advantages that a HSA has for self-employed (Sole proprietor or partnership).

The cafeteria plan does not have the requirement for the high deductible. It does allow you to pay medical costs with pretax dollars.

Scott Warrington

The Preacher

check out Mega health through an Alliance provider.

they have a vehicle similar to an HSA called an Association 105 HRA. Call 1-866-550-5525 to see if your company qualifies.

we are looking at a high deductible policy that will be about 285mo for my wife and I.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
We've had a HSA for about 10 yrs. or so. I pay 645 a month but about 200 goes into the savings account. Ours is through Golden Rule.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
We got a quote from Blue cross for $1800 a month with a $1500 deductable, but we were with Wellpath with a $8000 deductable for $600.

Now we found United American with $500 deductable for $585 for the 3 of us and thier rates will not increase every year.

R

R W

Well, I'm fortunate enough to have BC/BS coverage with my GM retiree benefits. I do pay $21 a month for a family, and pay some deductibles up to a set amount.

Took me 31 years on an assembly line to get that, though.

I buy Nationwide for my son/employee at $125 a month.

Back
Top Bottom