How do you clean this?

Name
Jeff T
I really hoping someone has a good suggestion on how to clean glow in the dark carpet. I don’t know if the ‘print’ was painted on, or done chemically. I was thinking Cimex, but am afraid the combo of agitation and chems might ruin it. I was thinking of just using a water prespray, and clean rinse at cool temps. Any ideas?
And no, I have no more info than that.
I guess I could just try a method, and see what works best... 87043

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It's mainly just drink spills, so I would just clean it with something like Ultrapac that has a safe ph of around 9.5.

I'm sure the manufacturers knew this carpet would get abused and made sure that it could be HWE

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It's mainly just drink spills, so I would just clean it with something like Ultrapac that has a safe ph of around 9.5.

I'm sure the manufacturers knew this carpet would get abused and made sure that it could be HWE
Just like viscose rugs can be cleaned? I'm sure those manufacturers knew what they were doing too.

Name
Jeff T
The only information I can find is to use a neutral pH cleaner. I would be careful with the heat also.
Obviously I’m going to need to do a test Clean. I’m thinking of using Procyon, or Clean Free. I know the PH of both are NOT neutral. I was thinking of even trying borax. Short of that, maybe CRB encap with Procyon extreme?
Thank you Ron for looking into it.
Jeff

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Oh Yea!!

OK Matt, please tell us how do you maintain that child like innocence.
Is it your pre-spray?

And while we are at it: Is it true that interior designers always recommend the most practical cleanable upholstery?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Obviously I’m going to need to do a test Clean. I’m thinking of using Procyon, or Clean Free. I know the PH of both are NOT neutral. I was thinking of even trying borax. Short of that, maybe CRB encap with Procyon extreme?
Thank you Ron for looking into it.
Jeff
There is an old thread on another forum somewhere where a well respected gentleman with the initials B. Y. who recommends a neutral cleaner. I would listen to him. Apparantly this has come up in nightclubs and strip bars and bowling alleys from time to time.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
The manufacturers all say neutral or near neutral cleaner. They also say frequent cleaning so that harsh cleaners are not required. Higher pH will remove some of the "glow." For a very high pH (11.5 or more) this reduced glow shows up very quickly. For cleaners 8.5 and above, the loss may not be easily noticed until several cleanings.

Here is an article I wrote on this 13 years ago:

CARPET CLEANING

Fluorescent dyed (glow-in-the-dark) Carpet

INTRODUCTION
Fluorescent dyed carpet will fluoresce or glow under ultraviolet or black light. This type of carpet may be found in commercial establishes including bowling alleys and night clubs. The dyes used to produce a fluorescent or glow-in-the-dark effect are different from ordinary carpet dyes. Due to the properties of the dyestuffs, some manufacturers do not warranty the color. The cleaner must be knowledgeable and cautious when encountering fluorescent dyed carpet.

Fluorescent dyes are sensitive to sunlight. The carpet should not be exposed to direct or intense sunlight. The darker the lighting is the longer the fluorescent property will last.

The dyes are adversely affected by alkaline cleaners. Whether cleaning or spotting these carpets it is important to use only cleaning agents on the acid side or near neutral on the pH scale.

Because these carpets may be heavily soiled but must be cleaned with mild cleaning agents it is important to have reasonable expectations of the results.

PROCEDURE
STEP 1

As with any carpet, begin with a thorough vacuuming.

STEP 2
Prespray with a mixture of 2 cups of Hydro Break and ½ ounce of Buff All and 2 ounces of Citrus Solv per gallon of water.

STEP 3
Extract using End Zone. Water temperature at the carpet should not exceed 120O F.

STEP 4
Dry using air movers.

STEP 5

Apply Maxim carpet protector. This will make spot removal and future cleanings more effective.

Note: Spills should be absorbed as quickly as possible. Use of an Olympus PowerX Spot Machine kept on location can quickly remove contaminants and moisture. Carpet should never be left saturated.

Note: Dyes that have been damaged by exposure to sunlight or high pH will look normal under ordinary lighting but the glow under UV light will be reduced.

CAUTION
Do not use any cleaners containing optical brighteners as these will also glow under ultraviolet light.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Oh Yea!!

OK Matt, please tell us how do you maintain that child like innocence.
Is it your pre-spray?

And while we are at it: Is it true that interior designers always recommend the most practical cleanable upholstery?
Yes, it is my prespray. I’m one of the good guys.

Name
Jeff T
BTW, thank you to everyone who has responded constructively, I appreciate the responses...
Jeff @ SCC

Name
Jeff T
The manufacturers all say neutral or near neutral cleaner. They also say frequent cleaning so that harsh cleaners are not required. Higher pH will remove some of the "glow." For a very high pH (11.5 or more) this reduced glow shows up very quickly. For cleaners 8.5 and above, the loss may not be easily noticed until several cleanings.

Here is an article I wrote on this 13 years ago:

CARPET CLEANING

Fluorescent dyed (glow-in-the-dark) Carpet

INTRODUCTION
Fluorescent dyed carpet will fluoresce or glow under ultraviolet or black light. This type of carpet may be found in commercial establishes including bowling alleys and night clubs. The dyes used to produce a fluorescent or glow-in-the-dark effect are different from ordinary carpet dyes. Due to the properties of the dyestuffs, some manufacturers do not warranty the color. The cleaner must be knowledgeable and cautious when encountering fluorescent dyed carpet.

Fluorescent dyes are sensitive to sunlight. The carpet should not be exposed to direct or intense sunlight. The darker the lighting is the longer the fluorescent property will last.

The dyes are adversely affected by alkaline cleaners. Whether cleaning or spotting these carpets it is important to use only cleaning agents on the acid side or near neutral on the pH scale.

Because these carpets may be heavily soiled but must be cleaned with mild cleaning agents it is important to have reasonable expectations of the results.

PROCEDURE
STEP 1

As with any carpet, begin with a thorough vacuuming.

STEP 2
Prespray with a mixture of 2 cups of Hydro Break and ½ ounce of Buff All and 2 ounces of Citrus Solv per gallon of water.

STEP 3
Extract using End Zone. Water temperature at the carpet should not exceed 120O F.

STEP 4
Dry using air movers.

STEP 5

Apply Maxim carpet protector. This will make spot removal and future cleanings more effective.

Note: Spills should be absorbed as quickly as possible. Use of an Olympus PowerX Spot Machine kept on location can quickly remove contaminants and moisture. Carpet should never be left saturated.

Note: Dyes that have been damaged by exposure to sunlight or high pH will look normal under ordinary lighting but the glow under UV light will be reduced.

CAUTION
Do not use any cleaners containing optical brighteners as these will also glow under ultraviolet light.
There is the response I was looking for, thank you Scott.

Reactions: J Scott W

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom