How are you or your techs using Service Monster in the home?

Name
I'm Rick James
What like $2oo month?
MEH

Not thinking about that kind of stuff, thinking about how i can add $20k month.

Not thinking about costs? Odd.. Its probably A LOT more with labor, fuel, side jobs and so on than the $200 a month projected.. but even at $200 at month, that is $2400 a year you are wasting.. which can go towards that goal of $20k a month add. Aren't you just a little bit curious what your techs are doing when they are out on their route.. if they are speeding, or idling the van in a parking lot to pad their hours, or just hanging out at their house playing Xbox while on the clock. Who knows it might be costing you an extra $5,000 a year or so, but you don't know until you test it out.. of course not telling the techs you are doing it.

Looks like service monster isn't a fan of fleet tracking, so probably won't see that in the SM6 update. :oldrolleyes: Shame that is quite a feature that multi truck business owners are going to be wanting.

:arrrr:

jkowalski

Name
Joe Kowalski
Why because I didn't answer you right away while enjoying the day with my wife and 5 kids. Silly.

quick responses.
A. Mobile is phone first.
. 1. Book job (new or existing clients)
. 2 Close order in the home
. 3 payments
. 4 pictures
. 5 manage schedule
. 6 geo fencing
. 7 and live route management

B. We are looking into fleetmatics for marketplace integration

C. ServiceMonster6 1st release is NOT and SM5 replacement. It's a FMS for those with other CRM tools or wish to stay QB only. We do this so we can get it out early (well before the LV tradeshow)

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Not thinking about costs? Odd.. Its probably A LOT more with labor, fuel, side jobs and so on than the $200 a month projected.. but even at $200 at month, that is $2400 a year you are wasting.. which can go towards that goal of $20k a month add. Aren't you just a little bit curious what your techs are doing when they are out on their route.. if they are speeding, or idling the van in a parking lot to pad their hours, or just hanging out at their house playing Xbox while on the clock. Who knows it might be costing you an extra $5,000 a year or so, but you don't know until you test it out.. of course not telling the techs you are doing it.

Looks like service monster isn't a fan of fleet tracking, so probably won't see that in the SM6 update. :oldrolleyes: Shame that is quite a feature that multi truck business owners are going to be wanting.

:arrrr:

How is a tech going to download the app?
Smartphone AND a carrier plan i assume.

This is starting to cost some real money.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Screw the ipad, I want them to be able to do invoicing from a smart phone

I'd be interested to learn how you see that working. We do our invoices on site and often have to add notes etc. I can't imagine the guys trying to accomplish that on a smart phone screen (unless they use the talk to text feature, but trying to type all the info on a smart phone keyboard, not way)

I suppose if we went out and pre-inspceted and estimated every job, then all they have to do is close out the order and collect payment it would work.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Meg - wouldn't that be going the opposite direction of productivity? That's not really a viable solution is it?

I agree, it isn't as deficient and is the opposite of what we do. Would not be a viable solution for us, which is why I was asking Mike to explain how he sees the mobile application on a phone working. Maybe I'm missing something.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I agree, it isn't as deficient and is the opposite of what we do. Would not be a viable solution for us, which is why I was asking Mike to explain how he sees the mobile application on a phone working. Maybe I'm missing something.

You are, an app tied into your field service solves most of it.

The info is pre-filled, the tech just clicks on boxes and makes cliff notes.
Most people are not writing essays in the field anyway.

We are not 100% there yet but its going to happen eventually.

PS. we dont use one currently for field service but do for door to door sales with commercial.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I'd be interested to learn how you see that working. We do our invoices on site and often have to add notes etc. I can't imagine the guys trying to accomplish that on a smart phone screen (unless they use the talk to text feature, but trying to type all the info on a smart phone keyboard, not way)

I suppose if we went out and pre-inspceted and estimated every job, then all they have to do is close out the order and collect payment it would work.
Have you seen younger kids text? I watch my older sons text on their iPhones without looking. It might be harder for us older folks.

Reactions: Shane Deubell

Mikey P

Administrator

After taking the House Call Pro demo tour, I know it can be done.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Have you seen younger kids text? I watch my older sons text on their iPhones without looking. It might be harder for us older folks.

Not so for my hubby.

And the other part is then showing the work order to the customer for approval. Can they really look over the whole invoice on our small phone screen?

Right now we show the customer the full work order, with line item and price. Then we get their approval to start the work. I think it would be difficult for them to be looking at that on the screen of our phones.

I could be wrong....but I just don't know how that would work for us. I would love it if we could do away with the laptop and Jet Pack (data) that we have, but I just don't see how we can go to a smartphone.

Name
I'm Rick James
How is a tech going to download the app?
Smartphone AND a carrier plan i assume.

This is starting to cost some real money.

App for what? Most CRM/FSM have a built in geo tagging to always keep in tabs with the techs. I just have it downloaded on the tablets, I don't want anything other than the work tablets used in the field. I think its a bad idea for techs to be using their own phones for work related information.

For the more detailed van tracking, its not going to eat up your data..

You are right it's most likely costing you money by not having your fleet tracked.

Name
I'm Rick James
Not so for my hubby.

And the other part is then showing the work order to the customer for approval. Can they really look over the whole invoice on our small phone screen?

Right now we show the customer the full work order, with line item and price. Then we get their approval to start the work. I think it would be difficult for them to be looking at that on the screen of our phones.

I could be wrong....but I just don't know how that would work for us. I would love it if we could do away with the laptop and Jet Pack (data) that we have, but I just don't see how we can go to a smartphone.

You're right.. having the techs use their smartphones are not a good idea because they have a portal to your business that you have a harder time controlling. Its much much easier doing business on a larger screen via a tablet.. you don't even need a high priced tablet, just as long as it has GPS capability and can go on your business data plan.

Name
I'm Rick James
Why because I didn't answer you right away while enjoying the day with my wife and 5 kids. Silly.

quick responses.
A. Mobile is phone first.
. 1. Book job (new or existing clients)
. 2 Close order in the home
. 3 payments
. 4 pictures
. 5 manage schedule
. 6 geo fencing
. 7 and live route management

B. We are looking into fleetmatics for marketplace integration

C. ServiceMonster6 1st release is NOT and SM5 replacement. It's a FMS for those with other CRM tools or wish to stay QB only. We do this so we can get it out early (well before the LV tradeshow)

That's good to hear about the updates, that stuff is pretty standard now on most CRM/FSM software. Is there going to be an additional cost to run SM6 on top of the SM5 price plan?

Fleetmatics is a good company with really good software.. did you know they have their own CRM/FSM software as well?

Reactions: jkowalski

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
App for what? Most CRM/FSM have a built in geo tagging to always keep in tabs with the techs. I just have it downloaded on the tablets, I don't want anything other than the work tablets used in the field. I think its a bad idea for techs to be using their own phones for work related information.

For the more detailed van tracking, its not going to eat up your data..

You are right it's most likely costing you money by not having your fleet tracked.

I thought you were using the houseC thingy?

or did ya change your mind AGAIN....

Name
I'm Rick James
I thought you were using the houseC thingy?

or did ya change your mind AGAIN....

Not really.. I am signed up and plan to just use the marketing campaigns, maybe if the features catch up to what I want I would consider using it as a daily driver..

Its kinda hard not to change your mind, these types of companies are ALWAYS changing things or adding new features.

rolandal

Name
Roland Ligtenberg
It funny to see all of these feature being debated when HouseCall Pro has all of them already.

Why in the world would you want to pay another $XXX/month for OBD tracking when you can do it simply through mobile/tablet...

PS Fleetmatics is suppppeerrrr expensive

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
POORLY..

SM is an old out of date software that is begging for a massive overhaul and perhaps it needs an infusion of younger blood to try and get it back into the modern era of CRM/FSM software. The only reason I am still signed up for them is because they have my customer history held hostage.

It offers nothing as far as dispatching or routing.. the color wheel is so 1995, the new standard is birds eye screen mapping to SEE where the jobs are in relative location to other jobs in the area. There is one program where all you have to do is hit the button and it brings up dates and times for jobs already in that area. Having a call center use the color wheel caused so much hassle and money.

The mobile version is just that a mobile website to run the interface on.. You would have figured that the company that lead the way would be the first one to come out with an actual app. The search feature is a joke too..

For $80 a month I would expect so much more. There is so many other CRM/FSM software that have more features with better functionality and are cheaper.

For those that use SM and have 2 or more trucks.. how do you track what your techs are doing over the coarse of their route? How do you know if they are going straight to every job or stopping by at a buddies house to give him a ride on the other side of town?

User of SM for 4+ years and if you are looking for software to run your company off of, I would pass on Service Monster.. way to out of date for the price.
Brent
Its called GPS installed on your trucks.

No one piece of software will do everything. I have been given software back in my corporate days that was out of date the day I got it.

You are right it could do some things better. The thing it does do well is help you trach your business.

SM is not so much for managing your day to day as it is a marketing and sales tracker.

Most small business operators have no idea what they sell of different services. SM will help you start to do this.

The one thing I wish it could do and it does not
I wish I could have my techs download their work for the day to a tablet and run the day on that tablet only seeing their work. No ability to see or change things other than invoices.
If they could get internet great if not they update when they return at night.
I only want them to see a tech view for their work alone. I also wish you could track what a truck does for the month and year. It tracks techs but not trucks. Tech move around it also double books work if two techs are involved. So your numbers never really match.

Like I said nothing is perfect for just $80 per month

Name
I'm Rick James
Brent
Its called GPS installed on your trucks.

No one piece of software will do everything. I have been given software back in my corporate days that was out of date the day I got it.

You are right it could do some things better. The thing it does do well is help you trach your business.

SM is not so much for managing your day to day as it is a marketing and sales tracker.

Most small business operators have no idea what they sell of different services. SM will help you start to do this.

The one thing I wish it could do and it does not
I wish I could have my techs download their work for the day to a tablet and run the day on that tablet only seeing their work. No ability to see or change things other than invoices.
If they could get internet great if not they update when they return at night.
I only want them to see a tech view for their work alone. I also wish you could track what a truck does for the month and year. It tracks techs but not trucks. Tech move around it also double books work if two techs are involved. So your numbers never really match.

Like I said nothing is perfect for just $80 per month

For normal GPS, its a waste of money to have installed on each truck because there are so many other CRM/FSM software out there that tracks techs for you.. leaves you the breadcrumbs to watch in real time. For the other tracking I was talking about.. its tracking speed, idle times, fuel use and even tells you what the code is for the check engine light.

SM is a good program, its just outdated and has been passed over by many many other companies.. you just showed it true downfall.. its a very crappy FSM option. Mainly because it relies on a "mobile website" and not an actual app. I guess that is what SM6 is suppose to be.. maybe, it just might be another mobile website that is easier for techs to use. The "tech mode" on SM now is embarrassing.

You are also right that there isn't one go to software to go with because each company has their own specific requirements that they want and SM does have a lot of the features.. but then so does many others. I think we all can agree that they dropped the ball big time by not having a FSM and a few other things. Their set up fee is also a thing of the past that they should look into changing.

I am not really bashing SM, I am hoping my comments will help them make a better product for us to use. I do wonder if the new SM6 is going to be an additional cost above the $80 per month price.

jkowalski

Name
Joe Kowalski
And not too too many passed it over. We processed $280,000,000 in payments last year in the US alone.

Keep in mind there are TONS of cleaners still using desktop that was last updated on 2005. And even more don't use software at all.

Reactions: Shane Deubell

jkowalski

Name
Joe Kowalski
think abou those numbers in 2003 when we started. Ugh "you have my data on your servers? No thanks"

that's the problem with genX (me) and millennials. It make sense to us in an ever changing world, but boomers still control the cash flow.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I am not really bashing SM, I am hoping my comments will help them make a better product for us to use.
I don't really have a dog in this fight but it sure seems like you're bashing someone.

I have to ask and if you don't care to respond no big deal BUT how would your own company come out under this same scrutiny?

New vans? State of the art TM's? State of the art Rotary tool? Zipper?

Name
I'm Rick James
Thats the thing joe.

90% of contractors are using nothing!
Or maybe quickbooks at most.

The features brent wants is like one tenth of 1% of the market.
My gawd most cleaners dont even have a website.... or a functional one anyway

I bet that is similar logic the CEO of blockbuster was saying back in the late 2000's.. "Pfft that online movie service called Netflix isn't what the people want, we've been around for decades and own the market." Whoops..

Name
I'm Rick James
I don't really have a dog in this fight but it sure seems like you're bashing someone.

I have to ask and if you don't care to respond no big deal BUT how would your own company come out under this same scrutiny?

New vans? State of the art TM's? State of the art Rotary tool? Zipper?

I've been signed up with SM for about 4 years, don't mean to bash them, which it appears I am.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom