Hot knife: Use on Natural or Synthetic Backing

Stevea

Here is a little clip showing the use of a hot knife on the backing of carpet. A question came up, "Will it work on natural fiber like it will on synthetic backing?" Yes, it will work but not the same. This tool is used for intricate work and other uses, just thought I would share a tool some may not be overly familiar with.

Notice it will cut and seal the edges but it is slower with the jute backing.
th_Hotknifewithjutebacking.jpg

Hope this helps to just show another item useable in repair work.

SA

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Thanks Steve (the question was mine), My butane hot knife just arrived this minute!

Thanks again for the DVD, great stuff. Highly recommend to you guys to get it :)

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
John there was no problem at all. Our player is a pretty cheap one - Phillips DVP3000K if that's any help. Don't know if it's fully multi zoned but assume it is.

Stevea

John and Heath,

What are you talking about? Some type of inverter or what?

SA

Cousin

Steve, DVD players come in 4 world zones. Supposedly if you buy a dvd from one country, it wont play in a dvd player in another country (in a different zone).
I don't know where it all came unstuck, but nearly all dvd players we buy in Aus are 4 zone capable, instead of one.
How is it in Godzone, John? Are your players 4 or single zone?

M

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
John's concerned that the DVD won't play on our DVD players (some DVD's here won't play on some equipment due to differing world zonings/settings). I think this is maybe a concern with bulk generated DVD's released by media/movie companies to prevent sales or unauthorised release outside the intended zones?? but not so much to small productions like what we're looking at. Yours plays on my laptop no problem as well.

Sorry cuz - we were posting at the same time.

Stevea

Wow, I guess I live a sheltered life, I had no idea there was such a thing. Now I wonder if M's comment the other day about the water spinning a different direction is for real.

I am glad the DVD plays on your player, I have sent several to different places and it never even entered my mind they may not play.

Interesting.

SA

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Not sure what I have. I have quite a few computers between a dedicated server and work station at work, 2x laptops and 1x home computer.

Problem is, none of them would be younger than 3 years.

I might just have to bite the bullet and buy some of these DVD's and see what happens. Worse case scenario will be that I have to buy an external DVD player and hook in.

John

harryhides

Name
Tony
I heard that in NZ they just hold their DVD players upside down and they work just fine.

:mrgreen:

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Yes Steve my understanding is that the water spins the opposite way here in the Southern hemisphere (clockwise I think). It must be a real shambles on the equator :?

roro

Name
Ross Craig
harryhides said:
I heard that in NZ they just hold their DVD players upside down and they work just fine.

that's only on those old butane powered ones that John was commenting on. The area that he lives in is still quite reliant on wind mills but watch out the manawatu ever gets hooked into the national grid

roro

Cousin

harryhides said:

What do you think we are Tony, Stupid??

Steve, when you send us DVD's make sure they are recorded anti clockwise, please.

Your players go clockwise, ours go anticlockwise.

That's the difference

:wink:

M

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
It can become confusing.

I'm confused already.

M say's that thing about the 4 zones.

My video guy say's this::

In the U.S. (I don't know about Kanadia), they operate on NTSC

National Television System Committee
Yeah that does inklood Kanadia

In Australia we use PAL

Phase Alternating Line

Over in the U.K. & Europe the main one is SECAM

Sequential Couleur Avec Memoire

The above is from one source although others say that most of Europe and Asia is now on the PAL system.

Here's a bit more info to help you understand the problems.

http://www.deskshare.com/Resources/arti ... _NTSC.aspx

Not that's it's much use, but my old pc down stairs will play the NTSC dvd's, while my newer pc upstairs won't :x

I can get a thingamajig or a watchamacallit put in that will allow me to play all types.

Otherwise it's down to me mates place to do a bit of transferring from one to the other, ( I never said that) :shock: .

Ooroo :roll:

Cousin

They're all formats for transmission of telly programs, Shorty. And also apply to videos.

The four zone thing is reproduction of media off DVD discs, and applies to DVDs and the players.

Lordy knows what they'll be doing with Blue Ray.

M

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
I've heard that if you have a DVD player that won't play some zoned dvd's you can get on the net and find a code to put in via the remote to unlock it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom