Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Hot enough?

“A pediatrics association and a physician
from a hospital emergency room testified
that 140° F water can cause third degree
burns on skin in less than 6 seconds.”

Not sure what this has to do with carpet cleaning, but who can dispute this? Now if 140 degrees on skin was less than 1 second, like carpet cleaning, no problem.

“Indianapolis Power & Light Co., published
an article titled, “Is your water too hot to
handle?” They suggest that water should
be heated at 120° to 150° F.”

Makes sense to me. I don’t mind this temperature dwelling on the carpet, but don’t want that hot of water dwelling on my skin.

“A restaurant association says that water at
140° F is safe for sanitary dish washing.
Bugs die at an even lower temperature.”

All the more reason to super heat the water for carpet cleaning so one can duplicate that high of temperature to the carpet fiber by using a super heated machine. This will ensure a more sanitary cleaning.

“A court decision against McDonald’s
favored a woman who spilled coffee in
her lap. The coffee’s temperature was
180° F.”

We have probably all made fun of the settlement that woman received, but if the coffee was really 180 degrees, that is definitely too hot to drink or spill on your skin. Would be fine for carpet though, since even higher temperatures are used in manufacturing carpet fibers.

“A cleaning industry scientist dispelled the
myth that increasing water temperature
by 17° F doubles the cleaning efficiency
of detergents. Definitely NOT true!”

I won’t argue the myth point of view, though maybe if 18 degrees F were used as a break point? However, it has been my understanding that every 18 degrees doubles molecular activity, and that there are limits where that no longer applies, such as below 118 degrees F and at the upper end toward live steam. But that is not the same statement as doubling cleaning efficiency, though it sure does help from my experience. BTW, there was no reference to who the cleaning industry scientist was, nor was there any testing criteria explained.

“A scientist with a fiber producer says, “The
extra energy input to get high temperature
in a cleaning solution doesn’t help drying
time. Lower temperature and finer jets
accomplish the same thing.””

This statement seems contradictory to me. If “lower temperature and finer jets accomplish the same thing” as “high temperature in a cleaning solution”, then neither of these scenarios help drying. Of course, these two scenarios are not consistent in their application, because one uses “finer jets” and the other does not. Hey, I have an idea! Why not compare ’high temperatures with finer jets’ to “low temperatures with finer jets”, and see how that turns out? I took this as an insult to my intelligence. Also, what does the fact that “a scientist” being “with a fiber producer” (again not identified) have to do with the results of seemingly flawed testing procedures.

“Carpets cleaned repeatedly with temperatures
above 200° F lose color, resilience
and develop a ”washed-out” look.”

Assuming that the carpet was cleaned according to industry warranty requirements as to intervals, chemicals, method, etc., I would assume many carpets would lose color and flatten out due to wear, light, time, all natural fading due to age factors, etc. anyway. Aren’t some carpets that are cleaned with higher temperatures actually revived instead? Again, no testing procedures, fiber type, or source.

“Operators and bystanders have been
scalded by broken water supply hose
lines from truck-mounted cleaning
equipment that generates excessive heat
above 200° F

No argument here. Every thing has its down side. The up side is better, faster cleaning and drying with less chemicals necessary. .” (hopefully no one has been electrocuted)

“Bane-Clene systems are engineered to
be efficient, effective, inexpensive and
operate safely below the temperatures
of live steam.”

This is pretty much true of most any equipment. Even my Powermatic will “operate safely below the temperatures of live steam”. I just turn down my temperature since it is adjustable from cold to 300 degrees F.

For what it’s worth.

Loren Egland

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
it's published for the Banewashed

all Bill Bane needs to add now in the newsletter is how pi$$ poor vac and low CFM is better than strong vac and hi-CFM

"water pooling in the vac hoses while cleaning the downstairs rec room is a virtue cause the waste tank won't fill up as fast"

..L.T.A.

Greenie

I can see next month's Headline: Strong Vacuum damages carpet fiber!

Funny how INEXPENSIVE always makes the "articles"...in every single conversation I've had with my Bane customers they Mentioned his "fact", usually I respond with how would you like to clean 3X as fast for $2/hr more....makes smart business sense?
Then they ask about high heat TMs and 2 hour dry times.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Lot o' Bane guys in my hood, 3-4 in my 2 county service area.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Don't be too aggressive with a carpet's natural boundary layer that is composed of mineral constituents and emollient organic lipids. This "soil" left on the fiber, serves to passivate the individual carpet strands contributing to natural untwisting of the yarn and the intermingling of the yarn tips. The layer also protects the fiber from the damaging effects of moisture and heat, and serves to displace potential detergent residue which would cause a sticky and harsh hand to the fiber. It is important that you don't strip this natural organic passivation layer, revealing "raw" nylon, which itself has never been proven as a safe material to be in constant contact with bare skin as it contains high levels of reacted diamine and a dicarboxylic acid.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I think I will use what Shawn said the next time someone thinks I didn't get the carpet clean enough. But how do I put it in my own words? "dirt good"?

Did I understand that right?

Bjorn

funny thing

there are a ton of bane guys out there that can out clean most of you guys hands down

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
ODIN said:
funny thing

there are a ton of bane guys out there that can out clean most of you guys hands down

Just like the old timers with their portables. You get good at compensating when you reduce one part of the TACT. Like a blind man with a razor sharp sense of hearing.

Back
Top Bottom