Help with dog hair odor

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
I cleaned a clients rental townhome and as I was cleaning there was a very strong dog hair type odor that was brought up especialy on the stairs. The day after cleaning the smell has remained. The funny thing is it wasent very strong before I cleaned it and now its very obnoxious. I usually have very good dry time but It has been very humid around here latlely and Im thinking it may be taking longer than it should to dry which might be the reason why the odor lingers; should I set up air movers to be sure its dry or should I reclean the areas with a deodorizer in the rinse or just spray a topical everywhere. What would you recomend for deodorizer? just a general or something like odorcide. Thanks

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I've had good success with Hydromaster Multiphase

you sure it's dog dander and not pee-pee?

Here's what I'd do if the carpet looked great after cleaning but still smelled like dander.

give it a good thorough vac with turbovac (to exhaust dander smell outisde) and then spray down some Multiphase.
Better than even chance that will work

if no turbo vac, there's an easy solution.
slide the TM vac hose over your upright's vac port so you can exhaust the dander smell outside while vaccing.
Depending which upright you own, it's easy to difficult.
It can be done with most uprights.
Use your 1.5" uph whip hose.
Note:
The cuff doesn't have to seal tight cause your TM will have plenty over capacity for this

if no upright vac at all :shock:
go buy a Bissel Momentum if you have a hunnert bucks.
If a hunnert will put a hurting on you, buy the $49 Bissel Powerforce.
It vacs like mutha too, just more PITA filters to clean than the Momentum

..L.T.A.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
The carpet is probably giving off the sour smell from not drying quickly enough. This will disappear with time and air movement, but you can kill it instantly with a deodorant containing quats like Quatalot or Proliminator.

Name
I'm Rick James
It sounds like you didnt get all the dog hair out. Did you pre vac? Spend extra time vaccuming. I use HM multiphase and it works good.

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
It was an oephin carpet, The custy vac'ed before I cleaned it. There was one area that had some heavy urine damage, I pulled up the carpet treated (saturated) the pad with cobbs version of Odorcide. Cleaned backing (and surface) with an acid rinse. That took care of the urine smell. Assuming everything is dry by tommorow and the odor persists would a fog deodrizer be a quick fix?

Chads

Supportive Member
dont let the custy vac Its probally there vac you need a good beater brush to get all that hair up.

Farenheit251

I have had 3 of these jobs in the last 6 months. They were all Bulldogs and and despite trying quat a lot,Last Resort,oxidizers.odorcide,ozone and vacuum(once) and cleaning one of them 3 times no success. Next time I am going to try Microban clean carpet sanitizer.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I use interlinks bio-break for those jobs. It’s the only chemical I buy form them now. It has and protein digesting enzyme and citrus. It will strip way that body oil from the dog better than anything IMO.

ascrubabove

Next time try an enzyme based deoderizer, spray on right after you clean the carpet, let the carpet dry slow to give the enzyme time to work, I make an avg 40 - 60 bucks extra on pet friendly houses, bill it out as "Pet Enzyme Treatment"

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
the quat needs some dwell time to do its job.
Add on a good mix of O2, or something will cut oils, and it usually cleans up nicely.
The challenge isn't all the hairs, its the oil on the hairs. Remove as much of the hair first, which has been discussed, then deodorize and degrease

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
tman7 said:
. Assuming everything is dry by tommorow and the odor persists would a fog deodrizer be a quick fix?

no
do what I suggested.

if you don't want to exhaust outside, just vac it THOROUGHLY and spray Multiphase

if you're vac is worth a chit, you'll pull a ton of hair and dog dander

hey Wayne, lemmie guess, that was when you were a Chem-Lie bOnNeT hEd HACK?.... :twisted:

.L.T.A.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
are you sure it is only the carpet that smells

I have had a few that I have washed all the walls and had someone come in and clean the heat ducts

I would do what Wayne did

Walt

tman7 said:
I cleaned a clients rental townhome and as I was cleaning there was a very strong dog hair type odor that was brought up especialy on the stairs. The day after cleaning the smell has remained. The funny thing is it wasent very strong before I cleaned it and now its very obnoxious. I usually have very good dry time but It has been very humid around here latlely and Im thinking it may be taking longer than it should to dry which might be the reason why the odor lingers; should I set up air movers to be sure its dry or should I reclean the areas with a deodorizer in the rinse or just spray a topical everywhere. What would you recomend for deodorizer? just a general or something like odorcide. Thanks

If you get a little awesome with the pre-spray it can take a while for the backing to dry. Even with great vac and heat, it's easy to do this. When you go back check it with your moisture meter (it probably is dry to the touch). If it goes off, tell them to wait a few days. Then come back and re-clean it if needed.

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Went back today and it was damp in a few spots (been very humid last few days) but overal pretty dry (poked around with a moisture probe). The smell was better too (says the owner) but still lingered in a couple of rooms. I ended up vacing the H*** out of everything and came up with alot of carpet fuzz and a white powder (not sure if it was dander or mabey some dry slurry residue). Sprayed some odorcide on the areas that were still reeking, I hope this fixes it I feel sorry for the guy that owns it and I'm probably starting to look like a hack :) .

With dog hair comes lots of oily residue from there skin. Same with us. Use an enzyme presray followed by a nuetral rinse and rapid dry.

The key will be the enzyme presray. The enzymes need a minimum temp. to activate and if the temp gets to high it will kill them off. Then good dwell time with a very hot water nuetral rinse with double dry. A fan for rapid drying would also help.

DevilDog

These can be a little tricky but here is what you do.

You MUST vacuum the hell out of the carpet.....really really really really really vacuum it good. Second, you MUST clean it really really really really really good. No one pass bullshit. Clean it really good.

Then you over spray it with Odorcide and rake it in and rinse that well...yes it seems like a lot of work but not quite as much as you might think.

Then you MUST get air movement on it and get it dry as fast as possible.

If that does not work then go ahead and Ozone if that is an option.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom