Help! Dog sprayed by skunk!

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
My Lab chased a skunk into the brush last night. Old guy's been banished to the back yard.

Anyone got a remedy? Would a little Quat-A-Lot in his bath hurt him? Don't see a warning on the label to not use it on your dog. Also have some Judson O2, which, according to searched posts, works on skunked carpet.

Much obliged.

Becker

Name
Becker
Re: Dog sprayed by skunk!

We were always told growing up to give them a bath in Tomato juice.

I think I'd pick the straight juice, not the spicy V8.

Google it, But I'm sure there are products at the pet store.

Poor dog.

Not sure if spending 4 hours pulling quills is better or worst.
Done that about 4 times.

Had 2 labs, 4 miles from the truck hunting grouse.
Male got it, female got it a little then the male went back for more.
Bare hands, no pliers in the brush.
Female was easy she listened and held still, big male took all of me and my brother to hold him down to get them out before they worked in.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
Skunk Odor Mix

Homemade skunk smell deodorizer. Works great and is cheap and easy to make. Mix and use immediately....

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid dish soap

Instantly removes the skunk odor. Can be used on animals too. Just don't get it in their eyes.

It also works well on most organic malodors.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Thanks Kevin & Becker.

Do you think the peroxide might turn by black Lab into a yellow Lab?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I have heard tomato juice works. It could be the added citric acid is what makes it work. I had this happen to my dog once and used and enzyme then hosed it off. It worked well. I don’t know if putting a protein digesting enzyme on a live animal is a good idea. then again you would not want to use peroxide and soda on any type of wool.

Vinigar works better than tomato. When I was a kid we had some coon dogs , they were always getting into skunks. Rub the dog down real good with vinigar then put him outside for an hour or 2 then give him a good soap bath.That should take care of 90% of the smell , the rest of the smell will go away in a few days.

gary mackay

I sold a lady a bottle of odorcide after they tried all the home remedies and she called me up a week later and asked if she could have my baby she was so happy. She buys a gallon every time I do her carpets.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Rinsed the dog with the hose, applied a dilute solution of Quat-A-Lot with shampoo, let dwell for a few minutes (He shook most of it out in the hot sunshine and rolled around in the grass), washed out with shampoo, rinsed, dried, and brushed.

Smells a lot better. He's allowed back in the house.

Thanks for all your help.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
kmdineen said:
Skunk Odor Mix

Homemade skunk smell deodorizer. Works great and is cheap and easy to make. Mix and use immediately....

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid dish soap

My boxer got nailed by a skunk during a winter thaw in mid Feb... she stunk bad poor thing. I tried the tomato juice but nothing happened. My room mate told me about the above recipe. Knocked down the odor by 80% nearly immediately.. he asked me how long I let it set on her? I hadn't let it stay on more than a minute or so... he said to let it soak/sit on her for about 5-10 minutes then rinse.. reapply, another 5 minutes to soak, rinse rinse rinse.. GONE after that.. I couldn't believe it! Good thing I had practice...because two weeks later.. Yup!! She was a bit of a hard head.. :p

Back
Top Bottom