Headaches!

CleanEvo

Been getting headaches lately and i never really had much of a headache problem before.

Been using Ultra-Pac a lot more lately and for some reason I've been going through a lot of POG lately, just had a lot of nasty jobs I guess.

Anyways, I've noticed a lot more headaches and couldn't really figure out why. Then a few days ago I went to a regular customers rental property, he had a painter there sealing some walls with a oil based paint. That night I had a severe headache and was literally violantly ill. That started me thinking that it may be the solvents in the cleaning solutions?

Could carpet cleaning lead to becomming overly sensitive to solvents? Anyone else ever have this happen?

Ron K

OMS gives me a headache sometimes. Whenever we use VDS on a carpet we almost always apply Perky first then the Solvent on top. We also modify the flip top cap so very little comes out.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
ABSOLUTLY..... :!:

The POG...Will give anyone a headache.....

Just try to get better ventalation...Wear a respirator for a while...If you haven't had
issues before, chances are your system has not had time to metabolize the increase
of exposure..

If the headaches persist...SEE A DOCTOR... :!: :!: :!:

Ps The last thing you want is to end-up like..."mArY".... :oops: :cry: :? :roll: :wink:

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I developed a headache reaction everytime I used Isopropyl Alcahol... needless to say I use it very rarely now. But since then I try and be more PPE conscious so it doesn't develop with something else.

Try some alternatives to get away from the products that are causing it, but also review your PPE.

John

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Same John - I seem to be sensitive to IPA (Releasit sets me off - must be the IPA in it..) and also anything with a butyl in it gives me a headache I believe. I don't spray any of these but I think I'm getting the vapour from the tank on the rotary so I'm putting a lid on the tank this weekend.
Clean Evolve get a 3M half face respirator for solvent spotting - cheap as chips and the custy will understand if you're using it while spotting.

You can develop sensitivity to chemicals. I get headaches from almost any kind of harsh chemical smell. My wife can't use hair spray in the house, even that will give me a head ache. Try bio kleen soy solvent for your POG, and find a green chem that works for you. I'm sure that will solve your problems. Depending on what kind of equipment you use, you may also consider sealing off your cab from the rest of your van to keep all the fumes (gas, exhaust,etc.) out of your lungs. That may be part of the problem as well.

Check out the link below, they have allot of good products that might help you.
http://www.envirorite.com/clickcarts/En ... Cat16.aspx

P.S Hold your breath when using wd40 :wink:

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
If you don't want to smell the strong solvents when spotting set the 2 inch vacuum hose a couple inches away from the spot you are working on. All the fumes will be vacuumed away.
Also don't use your fingers to agitate the solvent. Solvents can be absorbed through the skin.
As far as the ultra pac I would dump that in a heartbeat. There are too many other products out there that clean as well if not better and are better for your health.

CleanEvo

Thanks for all the tips.

I've dusted off a box of Carbonated Solutions that I used to use before I got my TM and started using Prochem stuff. I've now used it on a few jobs as a pre-spray and have been quite impressed with the results. It's all natural, carbonated and although designed as a bonnet cleaning pre-spray, it works really well as a pre-spray for HWE.

I used it today on a church I do regularily and the comments I got were that they thought it looked better than the last time I cleaned it (and it did). No smell, just nice clean carpets. I did run a light Dry Slurry rinse as well.

I'm going to start using the stuff again and see how it works on a few different types of carpet.

RThode

Name
Rick Thode
I've had problems with Butyl based cleaners for a number of years. it's not bad with spotters, but with pre sprays that get airborne, I can get some real nasty headaches.

Rick Thode

RThode

Name
Rick Thode
I'm doing ok. How about you? Have you had much trouble from forest fires in your area?

Rick Thode

harryhides

Name
Tony
The normal human body cannot process hydrocarbon type solvents like it can booze.
So any solvents absorbed get stored within fat cells with no noticeable effects.
However when your body is near or at it storage limits then even tiny amounts of solvents have tremendous effects and you are well on your
way to becoming chemically sensitive.
An example:
I had a customer, that could never tolerate a new carpet or even read a newspaper unless it's pages had been aired out for several days, allowing the solvents in the ink to dissipate. This was back in the day of solvent based inks.

Solvents are the carpet cleaner's equivalent of the carpet Installers knee kicker.

G

HARPER said:
ABSOLUTLY..... :!:

The POG...Will give anyone a headache.....

Just try to get better ventalation...Wear a respirator for a while...If you haven't had
issues before, chances are your system has not had time to metabolize the increase
of exposure..

If the headaches persist...SEE A DOCTOR... :!: :!: :!:

Ps The last thing you want is to end-up like..."mArY".... :oops: :cry: :? :roll: :wink:

Or like me; when you get perinoid over tubes of Preperation H!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom