Had to walk off a job today.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Last night I got a call from a lady who’s house burned down in the Carr fire. She was moving into a 2000 sqft rental and wanted me to clean it. I told her I would fit her in the next evening but would do my best to get there early if possible.

So today I busted ass and was able to get to the place at 2pm. When I got there, the tenant wasn't there but the landlord was. The landlord was living in an old motorhome parked in the driveway. I called the tenant and asked where she was. She said to talk to the landlord because she was the one paying the bill.

I knocked on the door of the Breaking Bad motorhome and could hear some rumbling inside. About a solid minute passed and a mid 50’s lady opened the door. When she opened the door an empty vodka bottle fell out onto the ground. I could see into the RV and it was a mess. Bottles and wrappers everywhere. The floor was all tore up and the carpet dirty and ripped. The lady had a glassy look in her eyes and was sweating profusely. I introduced myself and explained I was there to clean the carpets. She looked at me like a deer in the headlights and didn’t say a word. It was 105 degrees and I asked her if she had any A/C in her RV. I could not get over how sweaty she was. I told her she looked hot to which she looked at me even weirder. I think she thought I was hitting on her. Anyway, I was able to cut through the clouds and get her to let me into the house to measure.

I finished my measuring which amounted to $510. I returned to the hotbox RV and knocked on the door. This time she answered a little faster but sweatier. I explained to her it would be $510 to clean. She replied, “The last guy said it would be $275”. I told her there was no way I could do that and she should probably call the other guy. She then told me to only clean $200 worth of carpet. She exited the RV and led me to the house so she could show me which room to clean. While leading me there she almost fell over several times. She was obviously intoxicated.

I asked her if she was okay and in need of any assistance. She declined. I offered her a Gatorade or water from my ice chest, she declined.

So she points out the dirtiest room and tells me to just clean that. I told her the tenant is expecting all the carpet to be cleaned and would surly notice if i only did one room. I told her that this wasn’t really a good situation and I don’t want to be placed between some sort of landlord tenant dispute. She then immediately went into a drunken slurry temper tantrum of “Your just about the money. Satan is in you. Satan is just money and you are Satan”. Bla bla bla.

I responded back , “Lady, I don't even want to do this job. This place is going to take me far into the evening. I would rather be home with my wife and kids. I don't need the money. I’ve got almost 900 customers and I didn't build my business by being focused just on money. This is a toxic environment and I’m passing on this job. I’m really sorry I can’t help you. “

Her response was more biblical nonsense and Satan stuff.

I called the tenant and told her why I was passing on the job. She confirmed that the lady was crazy. Gee thanks.

So much for my day of mass production.

I referred her to @TConway

Last edited:

steve_64

The more we try to help people the more we get disrespected.

Glad you got done early though.

Reactions: Nomad74

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
Why did the tenant agree to move in and part with cash in the process?

Why why why?

Are rentals that hard to come by atm Damon?

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
thats crazy who would want that lady and trailer living in their driveway

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
My wife and I are driving around looking at the fire damage. I decided to take a pic of the house with the crazy lady RV for you guys.

C0823471-3E32-41FD-AE2E-517423566C8F.jpeg

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Damon,

I was going to give you crap about walking off a job based on the thread header. I have rarely seen a job where I felt it was warranted to walk away from a paying job. We may not be able to make it look brand new, it may be more work than we want to do, but money is money.

After reading your account of what happen I totally agree with you though!! Good work!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom