Grey matter

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
I know what you’re getting at, more marketing hype. Yes, if you use sodium chlorite that is not tech grade, when you mix it with water, it’s not stable chlorine dioxide.

That said, the only chlorite a civilian can really buy is tech grade sodium chlorite, which already has buffering agents mixed in it, that’s what makes it stable. So when you mix it with water, it makes stabilized chlorine dioxide.

Tech grade sodium chlorite is what all these carpet gurus are selling for ridiculous prices. One in particular touts having a stabilizer mixed in with his chlorite which makes it stable. He’s talking about the buffering agents, just like the tech grade chlorite you can buy yourself.

If you’re not an idiot.

Whether you buy it from Ekerts (whatever it’s called) or another US supplier, it’s all tech grade chlorite.

But to answer your question, yes, I mixed up a batch and used it on my basement carpet yesterday. It was just like using any of the other overprice products…

Because it’s nothing more than simple, tech grade sodium chlorite, just like the others.

Last edited:

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
And of course I use an acid rinse, I always do on piss jobs. It doesn’t have an affect on stabilized chlorine dioxide, because it’s made from tech grade sodium chlorite, which is about the only stuff carpet cleaners can buy.

When the gurus talk about problems from chlorine dioxide, they are talking about chlorine dioxide not made from tech grade Chlorite.

It’s disingenuous to use that for marketing, because one just can’t order non-tech grade chlorite from just anywhere.

Mikey P

Administrator
And of course I use an acid rinse, I always do on piss jobs. It doesn’t have an affect on stabilized chlorine dioxide, because it’s made from tech grade sodium chlorite, which is about the only stuff carpet cleaners can buy.

When the gurus talk about problems from chlorine dioxide, they are talking about chlorine dioxide not made from tech grade Chlorite.

It’s disingenuous to use that for marketing, because one just can’t order non-tech grade chlorite from just anywhere.
Jebus chub chub, you strung out on sprinkles and fritter glaze or what?

Just asking a question, I don't do piss and was curious.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
If someone is using a rinse with a strong acid, then all sorts of problems will happen, but most acid rinses use citric acid, which is completely stable with chlorite. Tech grade chlorite has a small quantity of citric acid in it as an activator when it hits water.

Mixing chlorite and too much peroxide will bleach carpet in second.

Suppliers of sodium chlorite products should put that on the label since some cleaners put peroxide in everything.

Reactions: The Great Oz

Mikey P

Administrator
Who cares ..

Screenshot_20220712-215307.png

Tom Forsythe

@Tom Forsythe is this correct?
Flex Ice: Sulfamic acid, Fab Set, End Zone: Glycolic Acid first, citric acid second. Citric acid has a tendency to be a light re-soiler which is why we add an encap to End Zone to ONLY mitigate this negative aspect of citric acid, A few acid rinses use phosphoric. Overall, Glycolic is the most used acid in these rinses.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Flex Ice: Sulfamic acid, Fab Set, End Zone: Glycolic Acid first, citric acid second. Citric acid has a tendency to be a light re-soiler which is why we add an encap to End Zone to ONLY mitigate this negative aspect of citric acid, A few acid rinses use phosphoric. Overall, Glycolic is the most used acid in these rinses.
They all in the same pH range? I didn’t really mean that citric acid alone is stable with chlorite, I meant pH of citric acid and other acids in that range.

Tom Forsythe

Generally the SDS Section 7 Storage and Handling will alert what items will react with any chemical. A follow up to the manufacturer would also be warranted based on the nature of the product in discussion.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Tom Forsythe

Ooooh, why not my good man?
We looked at this 15 years ago. It was not a question of making it safe enough for end users, but there were issues where we questioned would it be safe enough for our chemical production team. We did some initial testing which was okay, but not a game changer. It could be different now.
There are many raws which we did not feel we could handle safe enough without huge investments in air handling equipment, proper storage, potential reactions in the mixing, etc. We never brought in ammonia, methylene chloride, clo2, many rust remover acids, 35% H2O2, etc. The safety of our production workers has always been foremost in my mind. There are always risks vs. rewards discussions that need to be had by everybody when you review chemical that you use.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom