Greenie explain this please

Scott Rogers

"the 56 can be "pulled off" with a 31-35 hp unit"

What do you mean Pulled off.

What would need to be done different? Not run blower at max rpm? Less the 16 hg's? No pump-out and or smaller pressure pump?

How would these 3 engines compare, when running a 56-5cp-and a pump out
Briggs 35hp
Vang2LC.jpg

http://www.commercialpower.com/display/ ... ocID=80508

Kohler 31hp
aegis31.jpg

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecata ... nID=147160

35 hp Briggs 3 cyl
Vanguard3LC_Gas.jpg

http://www.commercialpower.com/display/ ... ocID=79717

Attachments

• Vang2LC.jpg
    Vang2LC.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 191
  • aegis31.jpg
    aegis31.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 211
  • Vanguard3LC_Gas.jpg
    Vanguard3LC_Gas.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 197
  • Vang2LC.jpg
    Vang2LC.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 216
  • aegis31.jpg
    aegis31.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 200
  • Vanguard3LC_Gas.jpg
    Vanguard3LC_Gas.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 200

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
He'll have to ask an engineer and then he'll get back to you.

Matt King

I have no engineering degree but I'll fake it here.. It's always fun to play the game. Engine number 1 would be my choice. Why you say? Well, engine number 3 has the best block. It's a complete cast iron block and that's a huge plus. The problem? The ones I've seen run shake and run rough IMO. remember the ElDiablo at Monte's Jimmy? The ones I've seen were like that. That turns me off. Problem 2 is parts and service. Good luck. A B and S logo on a Daihatsu motor doesn't mean much Yet. In the future it may but I predict the 2 cyl will be more popular in the lawncare industry making it a better choice for parts and service. So, now for number 2. I like that motor. Nothing wrong with it. I'd take number 1 though because of the hp and torque ratings (according to their charts). I'm also told it has a better cooling system. Now, it does lack the fuel injection but I think you can get that now if you want it. I like a simple carburetor myself.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Print out the torque vs horspower curve of each motor candidate.

Then, print out the performance curve for the blower. The water pump will require at least 3 hp. After allowing for that, the bhp need of the blower at full load should be delivered at a point near the apex of the torque curve.

Note that a motor delivering 35 hp @ 3600 rpm actually delivers way less HP at its torque peak of around 2400 rpm.

Way less....

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Here's another candidate:

KOHLER 38 HP Horsepower Engines

The new engines target a range of commercial and industrial applications, including turf mowers, generators and pumps. The basic configuration of the engine is the tried-and-true 90º twin-cylinder, overhead valve design with an electronic ignition system, two-barrel carburetor and mechanical governor. The engine uses an aluminum block with cast-iron cylinder liners, a common feature on such engines intended to promote longer service life and durability. This new gasoline engine really shines with its healthy displacement, 999 cc on a bore and stroke of 83 mm x 69 mm and a dry weight of 130 lbs.
Building upon its reputation for durable, reliable engines, Kohler introduces several unique and patented features that aim to enhance and extend the engine’s performance.

- Full power capable off both the flywheel and PTO side of the engine

- Top-mounted oil filter features a no-drip oil system, which now only requires changing after 150 hours

- Top-mounted, heavy-duty air filter, with an integrated rain cap

- Front-mounted choke and throttle controls

- Removable, 2-piece cylinder access covers

- Hydraulic valve lifters, to ensure consistent horsepower throughout the full engine life and eliminates the need for valve adjustments

1 Liter, 38 HP and 130# is a good combination for our larger blower needs.

Larry Cobb
Mikey Board Supporting Member

Scott Rogers

Larry, Nick told me about that new 38 hp Kohler. But I was under the impression that it wasn't on the open market yet.

I believe that one is also air cooled correct?

Any idea on the estimated price of that beast?

Jimbo

I'd pick #3...those engines are used in hvac/power/plants units in Japan...a self powered unit that generates heat/ac/electricity. They shut them off ONCE a year to change the oil...then back on they go again for another year. Built for the long run!- Jim

Greenie

Wow...I'm glad I was busy today, the smart people came out of the woodwork.

One quick note on my quote:
""the 56 can be "pulled off" with a 31-35 hp unit"

I was only referring to raw horsepower, as Lee pointed out you never really get the "rated" HP from an engine, as nobody runs them that fast under load. You always want a few horses to spare when you select an engine.

One thing Lee hinted to, but I would like to mention again is torque curves.
Although you should look at the torque curve, there is no way you would want to run a small twin cyl. gas motor in this range for extended duration.
Use it as a guideline, but you also need raw horsepower, these engines run better, stronger, and run cooler at a higher rpm.

I said gas engine, diesels are another animal.

I too am interested in what this new Kohler 38 turns out.
We are in a new era, turning a #5 blower is going to be a popular discussion point this year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom