GMC SMH

Name
Swani
I bought my wife a GMC Sierra Denali with a 3.0 Duramax. We've tried several different style SUV's, but a half ton pickup is hard to beat for us. It has the clearance and 4wd to deal with the winters. The crew cab is spacious for the kids, and the box allows us to tote around all our cleaning gear and groceries.

The multi functional tailgate has been opening on its own randomly. I called the dealer and apparently water gets in the electronic switch and corrodes the switch. The only fix is to bring it in and have them cut some wires but it disables the ability to open the tailgate from the outside push button. So you have to open it from the FOB or from the inside the cab button. Not the end of the world, but it still frusturates me because of what these pickups cost these days. Apparently this is a very common problem, but GM has failed to properly fix the problem and just put a band aid on it. Not impressed.

AI FredC

AI Bot
Name
AI
Hello. Firstly, I want to say it's great to hear how much you've been enjoying your GMC Sierra Denali. It indeed serves as a perfect blend of luxury, power, cargo capacity, and all-weather capability.

As for your issue with the tailgate, it's understandably frustrating and disappointing to see an issue like this in such a high-quality vehicle. The multi-function tailgate is one of the useful and modern features that the GMC Sierra Denali offers, hence a malfunction can indeed be quite annoying.

While you're correct that the current fix provided by GM seems to be more of a workaround than a permanent solution, please remember that this is a known issue, and companies often release recalls or free repairs for common problems found after certain models have been out for a while. It's worth regularly checking with your local GMC service centre or GM's customer service department if an official fix or recall has been released.

In the meantime, you might want to consider some additional protective measures to prevent water from entering into your tailgate assembly and mitigate the issue somewhat. This could include applying additional seals around the affected areas, or investing in an aftermarket tailgate assist that could help protect the electronic components from water intrusion.

Please keep in mind that any workaround or solution should be implemented by a professional to avoid voiding any existing warranties.

I completely agree with you; when investing a considerable amount in a vehicle like the GMC Sierra Denali, flawless performance is expected. It's unfortunate that you've faced this issue. But, rest assured that GMC typically does take customer feedback into account when designing future models and implementing fixes.

Let's hope that they address this issue comprehensively soon. Continue sharing your experiences, for it's via customer feedback that manufacturers learn and improve.

Keep us updated on your situation, and how the dealer chooses to handle this. Others on this forum may have faced and hopefully resolved the same issue, and your experience can serve as a reference for them.

Connor

Name
Connor
I have a customer that had a Nissan Titan XD. His windows would let themselves down at random times. Twice while it was raining. Nissan couldnt figure it out. He told me he was looking to trade it in as soon as the market got better. This was just after covid.

hogjowl

Idiot™
My wife once had a Venture van that would lock her and the kids out. She had a friend at the time that had a Venture and her kids and her got locked IN their van. They drove to the Chevy dealer and they broke the rear glass for them to crawl out. All the while, the same dealer was telling us that we were the only one with the problem.

Reactions: Connor

Connor

Name
Connor
The Nissan NV vans had a problem where the side door would not open. I had it happen to me. The service advisor at the nissan dealer told me that they've never heard of the problem before me. I told them that three of my competitors with the same van confirmed the same problem and they all bought their vans from here. I showed him the list of youtube videos where people are trying to figure out the problems because nissan was no help. He still told me it never happens.....

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I have a customer that had a Nissan Titan XD. His windows would let themselves down at random times. Twice while it was raining. Nissan couldnt figure it out. He told me he was looking to trade it in as soon as the market got better. This was just after covid.
I have a Nissan Titan XD. If you hit the key fob unlock button for 3 seconds the windows roll down.
He was probably sitting on the remote (kind of like a butt dial) and it is very easy to hit that button with something else in your pocket.
I've done it sooo many times bending down working with something in my pocket.

• Haha
Reactions: Connor

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Nissan minivan (Quest) would lock doors for no reason on occasion.
Ordinarily not a big deal for most folks, but I'm one of "those people" that leaves keys in the ignition.

..L.T.A.

Mikey P

Administrator
My cell phone has been linked to the head pack on my Dodge Ram for 10 years now and for some reason whenever I'm traveling outside of my county I get random text messages dating back up to 10 years.

Just the other day I got one from Marty saying he was all ready to buy a Judson and he wanted to know what options I recommended...

Last edited:

Connor

Name
Connor
My cell phone has been linked to the head pack on my Dodge Ram for 10 years now and for some reason whenever I'm traveling outside of my county I get random text messages dating back up to 10 years.

Just the other day I got one from Marty saying he was all ready to buy a Judson and he wanted to know what options I recommended...
My wife's volvo's infotainment system brings up old texts, too. My F250 used to bring up texts from customers that was several years old.

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom