Getting off of the truck

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I blew a disk in my lower back a few years ago and working is getting worse all the time. I used to cycle about 4500 miles a year. Last year I did about 260 miles. Because I was afraid I would do more damage to my back and I can't take the pain. This year I have had terrible pain.

My father is 74 and almost can't walk because of his back. His Doc. looked at my MRIs and said that is in my future if I don't change jobs or slow down.

I am so picky! I have spilt blood for my company. No Employee will ever care as much for my company as I will. I have a great Employee now but when he is cleaning without me I am a slobbering worrying mess. I can't even sit still. Is he running corner guards, is he taking the time he needs on the traffic lanes, is he treating the custy with the respect he should, is he moving the airmovers so all the carpet is dry,will he damage my Vortex?

I need to get off the truck, but how? This crap about making another you is bullsh#t. All my custys love me and I think that is a curse. They want me not anybody else. I think if I could pay somebody about 80 grand a year, I may get a super Employee. But I can't afford that.

Every company I know that has more than 3 workers does crap work. ( Of course I am so picky I think 99% of cleaners do crap work)

What am I going to do? I love cleaning carpets, but I will not be able to do it full time for more than 3 or 4 more years.

What do you guys think. :?

Mikey P

Administrator
I used to cycle about 4500 miles a year. Last year I did about 260 miles.

I am so picky! I have spilt blood for my company. No Employee will ever care as much for my company as I will. I have a great Employee now but when he is cleaning without me I am a slobbering worrying mess. I can't even sit still. Is he running corner guards, is he taking the time he needs on the traffic lanes, is he treating the custy with the respect he should, is he moving the airmovers so all the carpet is dry,will he damage my Vortex?

I will need to get off the truck someday, but how? This crap about making another you is bullsh#t. All my custys love me and I think that is a curse. They want me not anybody else. I think if I could pay somebody about 80 grand a year, I may get a super Employee. But I can't afford that.

Every company I know that has more than 3 workers does crap work. ( Of course I am so picky I think 99% of cleaners do crap work)

What am I going to do? I love cleaning carpets, but I will not be able to do it full time for more than 3 or 4 more years.

What do you guys think. Confused

Mikey

Mikey P

Administrator
How about if I do your jobs and you do mine.

Should work....Our clients will never know the diff, yet we would have to over do it....lol

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I think alot here feel the same way including myself. But it seems like you have to take the plunge and do something like Chris is suggesting. After letting them on their own you can check up in the middle of jobs, talk to the custy for a few minutes and help a little with the small stuff and take off. Or call the custy the next day and ask how it went.

I ran a family restaurant for many years. Up to 25 employees. There were alot of times that we would loose a great cook or server. We use to think that the business would be negatively affected by the loss. Somehow the boat always stayed afloat. At times, to our surprise, having new blood was actually a good thing. You may loose some customers but you'll gain more by new customer aquisition.

Albert

Michael Ellis

Name
Michael Ellis
Hire raw meat who just left the service...or at least a trade that required the qualities you seek.

Pay him on commission only. A hefty one with incentives for certifications, etc. That way callbacks are on his dime and he isn't a clock watcher.

Do follow up "interviews" about your guy and let him know the results.

Promise him a future and he could be your golden parachute.

lance

Hi Adam. We met at Connections in LV. I told you about the auto detailing stores that have RO water for sale. Did you ever contact any of them?

On the business side I would say that you have to find a tech that can learn from you and help you keep the standards high. They are hard to find but if you pay them extra and treat them with respect you will find they more than make up the cost of their employment. I went to the BRC meeting in Las Vegas and really enjoyed hearing about the good and bad of running a biz and having employees.

On the physical side there are some things that you can do to improve your situation. One is to understand your body and how it works. Your being athletic is a plus. The lower back and abs form the supportive braces for all the movements you have to make everyday. If they get weak then other problems will arise.

Ankles, knees, hips, shoulders,neck....if any of these is out of alignment problems appear. Custom orthotics, neoprene knee wraps and waist support help strenthen these areas and also keep them warm and relaxed throughout the day.

Stretch the hamstrings, glutes, and side muscles as much as possible. Tight hams and glutes pull on the lower back muscles making them work more and leads to strains and injuries. Dead lifts really help to strengthen the lower back and improve both posture and endurance when working. Hanging upside down also helps decompress the bones in the back which relieves pressure on the discs --- leaning forward like bike riding or pushing a wand compresses the skeleton structure and causes pain and injury.

Try to find a good chiropractor......better a referral from someone you know. Some are athletes themselves and specialize in different areas like runners, skiers, etc. Massage on a regular basis can also help relax the back muscles and make them recoup faster.

I have had custom orthotics for both walking and running for about 3 years now and I don't ever go without them. They make a huge difference. My NB tennis shoes just wore out but only on the inside. They are the first pair to not wear out the soles long before the shoe itself is worn out. They work just like the Dr. said they will. Especially when you are on your feet all day long.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Don't be so anal retentive!! :shock: Geez let someone else do the work, hire a tech/helper to lighten your load and you become the sales/manager/helper-in-waiting. Since you have a V you can ride along until you can hire tech 2 for that truck. Build a team. Keep building it up as a manager/sales until you have that truck runnin all the time. You are going to have to let go of the wand if you are going to have physical problems later. Not easy to change your role but whats the alternative? A friend I had did over 200,000 with 1 truck. His physical problems were similar and he could'nt do it anymore. He changed his role. He did sales/manager, Pt receptionist, Work schedule 6 days, full time tech 4 days 10 hrs a day, pt tech 2+ days 8-10hrs a day. Many here do that or more with 1 truck. Not me, but others. Best of luck to you.

Mister Sir

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Call Coit. 8) Seriously, call Scooter. This is what he does.

& then get an OP machine... :p

From the "unpruned" Red Board Archives.... Posted by yours truly....

For employees to be successful (which in turn makes you successful)you will need to:
Train them properly. Teach them the right way. Hire for personality rather than experience, so as to prevent them bringing "old habits" and keeping the personal touch to your company.
Encourage them to speak with customers about things like thier own wife & kids, vacation, etc., in addition to "selling the sizzle". Let them in on all the "lil' secrets" that have made you the best.

Create an atmosphere that makes it more important to do it rather than "get out of it". Systemize. Simple, easy to follow work instructions. Sign off sheets or check lists for accountability will help keep them on the ball. Be available for guidance when situations not covered arise.

Let them know (by showing them) that your standards are as high or higher for yourself & you wouldn't ask them to do anything you wouldn't do / haven't done personally.

Show up on a job every now & then. Especially if it is a customer you have a relationship with. Old customers are like old friends. You may not see them every day but you never forget 'em. Maybe even bring some doughnuts.
Treat your people with respect, even when correcting them. Show them the way. Show them your way. Show them your high standard & while you show them, do not belittle them - Encourage them. It may take time to absorb you tremendouse grasp of the situation, but with a little faith in your protege and tutoring it will happen.

This process can be recreated over and over again. Just be sure to take the time it warrants. It took a long time for you to get where you are didn't it? These people have not only your reputation in thier hands but your livelyhood. They are deserving of your full attention & complete honesty. For those 2 things they will respect you and work for you. Rather than work hard enought to not get fired. Take care of them them & they will take care of you, and your customers well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Expanding
Posted By rick on 5/30/2006 at 9:37 AM
Great posting Bright 1!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By Bright-1 on 5/30/2006 at 2:26 PM
Why thank you, Sir.

Posted By Con Schultz on 5/30/2006 at 5:50 PM
excellent post above.... BRC systems employee manual has much of what you ask for & are working on IMO

Con

Posted By Heathrow on 5/30/2006 at 6:05 PM
Thanks guys - does the manual have information specific to contract arrangements rather than employees? I'm looking for ideas on what form an agreement would take between myself and the other guy, for example if he was doing a job on his own, would you expect something like a 70 - 30% arrangement given that it's my equipment and systems/marketing etc but him actually doing the work?

Posted By mike griffin on 5/31/2006 at 12:04 AM
Heath,
We've had employees for more then 3 years now. Howard P. gave us the best formula for employee compensation. Small hourly wage + comm/bonus based on results/performance. Straight hourly you'll get sluggish behaviour, straight commission, they'll go too fast do "whatever they can get away with", You'll have unhappy customers, who won't call to complain, THEY JUST WONT CALL AT ALL.
Just remember human nature is human nature, you can't change it, however you can set up your compensation package so human nature works for you not against you.
Mike Griffin
P.S. rember whatever you do it will be hard to change it, so with new employees make sure to keep your options open.
M

Posted By Con Schultz on 5/31/2006 at 2:55 AM
heath, call up BRC Scott & ask him directly, it would take me a few minutes to research that info, but I know Scott will know that stuff immediately.

BRC Employee manual ALL THE WAY on this question & theme. furthermore you'kll need an employee manual & "how we do things around here" to produce cheerleaders etc...

Con

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
More from ICS....
How do I take a high end bus. to next level?
Posted By brian mckay on 11/3/2006 at 9:57 AM
I run 1 tech. truck/tech full time and have a back up rig I use periodically for overflow work or specialty stuff. I am high end with repeat/referral only, 90% residential work. Very little advertising, small phone book ad, yada, yada. Question is, how do I get 3-4 trucks on the road. I am in a suburban area of Chicago, pop 150-200,000 in my area, lots of cleaners, mostly crap. Am I missing something, why can;t I grow???? Have Howard's and some Joe stuff, put some of it to work over the years.

Re: How do I take a high end bus. to next level?
Posted By Bob Wittkamp on 11/3/2006 at 10:09 AM
Go to STRATEGIES FOR SUCCESS at JON-DON!

Posted By John Braun on 11/3/2006 at 10:19 AM
What is the problem?

Marketing related: You don't have enough business to run a second truck.

Management related: You don't have the systems in place or management experience to run a second truck.

Or, is it a combination of the two. Figure out what it is and study all you can on that subject.

Going to Strategies won't hurt either.

Posted By Steve Dobson on 11/3/2006 at 10:40 AM
I always say focus on quality.. and the relationship with the customer.
I know that sounds vague.

I you sincerely push quality beyond any expectation that 95% of this industry even knows about.. I mean strive for it.. biz will fall at your feet.

Maybe your cleaning is NO good.
maybe your have NO personality.
Maybe you need to bath.

unfortunately.. this forum is one dimensional.. and some will never get it.
Its not for everybody.

Skimping by and making a living? Maybe.
But to truly be successful and have to throttle growth.. ? very few.. very very few.

Are these harsh words? NO.. they're real.

and as long as we give advice on a one dimensional forum.. dont know the other cleaner.. and how well he actually does/know his trade and what kind of person he is.. both integrity wise and brains wise.. its just generic one dimensional info back.

No matter if you have scott rendall by your side or SFS under your belt.. if you 'dont have it'.. ya don't have it.

Money cant get ya there.

I say blow all the socks off your other local cleaners. Wow your customers both with that quality and a great personality.

Everything else falls into place..

Ya need a little biz sense.. not much. You can pay for that.
but you have to know what quality is and isn't.. and how to get it.
Ya can't buy that.
Ya have to know it..

therein lies a difference.
But you can make good money being avg and below. Look at all that do.

Sad but true.

Posted By Con Schultz on 11/3/2006 at 10:55 AM
I am certainly in with John & bob on this one.... what is your vision - how are you going to get there - can you control it when it starts to run at 120 mph downhill?

Con

Posted By Jon Erickson on 11/3/2006 at 10:59 AM
Quality of work is important, of course. In this case it sounds like this is not the issue. The idea that quality work will automatically fill the schedule is a little naive'.

You need a measurable plan because it is going to be a bit of a jump to get to the next level. The two trucks will need to maxing out night and day before the third can jump in. Or, you are going to need capital to finance the third truck for a brief period as the schedule is getting ramped up.

There is going to be a slight gap.

Either way this transition does not go smoothly, there will be a hiccup or two because you are going to be doing things others cleaners are NOT DOING at the moment.

It is easy to fill the schedule for two trucks. It takes an aggressive, multi-faceted marketing plan that taps into several referral sources such as the local chamber of commerce, carpet retail stores, and referrals from homeowners to go to the next level.

The best thing you could do at this moment is to join your local business clubs and begin to hob-nob with your local business peers. With time you will have a large network of business owners that can give you some sense of security. You are trying things many will never try and you need to be recognised as the local expert in your field, not just another carpet cleaner.

Professional networks deliver quality leads, comraderie, and establish your business as a legitimate, reputable company.

Then you just have to have systems that allow you to duplicate your efforts over and over again.

Modified By Jon Erickson on 11/3/2006 at 11:00 AM

Posted By chris muetterties on 11/3/2006 at 11:02 AM
BRC Systems

Posted By steve jackson on 11/3/2006 at 11:02 AM
People, its always about people

Start off by hiring someone part-time or full if you have the money. To market your business

They can canvass door to door or make phone calls to set appointments/give estimates

Bottom line is if you want to grow your business, make an investment in someone.
postcards,advertising,yp are all bottomless pits. Start recruiting the best people you can find, you will be suprised to find out someone in your area right now is looking for the exact job you need.

P.S.
PAY people well, dont cut corners on wages.

Posted By Aaron Steinblock on 11/3/2006 at 12:11 PM
SFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By brian mckay on 11/3/2006 at 12:23 PM
I attneded SFS in '97 it was great! I ahve systems and the like.

Posted By Richard Chavez on 11/3/2006 at 12:24 PM
Marketing drives sales, increased sales equals growth.

If it's a money issue focus on low budget marketing.

Direct contact takes your time but could yield a lot you work.

That means you off the truck and focusing on marketing.

Once you get the work then what?

TOO MUCH work is just as bad as not enough, you'll need systems in place to handle the work load.

Scott Rendall or SFS can help you with all of these questions, but it will take commitment!

Posted By Bright-1 on 11/3/2006 at 12:26 PM
If it were me, I'd try to find as much commercial (night)work as possible. That way you still have an over flow truck for residential & don't gotta buy another truck. Plus the "extra truck" is running just as much with out you on it, and is still "extra" during daylight hours. You'll be making $ while you sleep.
Modified By Bright-1 on 11/3/2006 at 12:50 PM

Posted By Steve Lillard on 11/3/2006 at 1:13 PM
The most expensive guy is not always the biggest!

Posted By Robert Allen on 11/3/2006 at 1:13 PM
Why not be content, play golf and donate time to a charitable work???

Posted By Jim Bennett on 11/3/2006 at 2:25 PM
"lots of cleaners, mostly crap" how do you know? is it b/c they dont charge high end rates? maybe they are providing good work at a fair price. what is your area like? your high end target market is a small % of the buying community in any area. you may get a few mid income homes to use pay your high prices but not many. what do you include for your high end rate? 20 step system that takes all day for 1-2 jobs? if your not giving the cust everything poss for your big price tag. maybe your not worth your rate.

Posted By Ken Raddon on 11/3/2006 at 3:08 PM
Why can't you grow? Heck man, a lot of the guys on here are wondering how you got as big as you are.

It is too simple to say but I will anyway... Do more of what you are doing or have done to get this big. That is most easily done by hiring someone to do the things that they can do so that you can do the things that made you the size you are now.

In a word: FOCUS!

Focus on the things that bring in business and stop spending any time on the things that don't.

It really is that simple.

Ken Raddon.

Posted By Gary R. Heacock on 11/3/2006 at 4:00 PM
My opinion- more marketing needed to grow.

It seems to me everything else is in place.

Gary

Posted By Kevin M on 11/3/2006 at 4:03 PM
"I am high end with repeat/referral only, 90% residential work. Very little advertising, small phone book ad, yada, yada."

If you are only repeat and referal yet run an ad in the YP. Your ad isn't with the paper it is on. When you are getting zero jobs from a ad. It's time to get a new ad.

You will need to advertise to add more trucks. The advertising has to get you work. That work you try and turn in to repeat and referal.

SALES
Posted By sean on 11/3/2006 at 4:17 PM
Focus on people, marketing does not close sales people do. Hire a part-time person to close sales or set appt for you to close.

Posted By Shawn B. on 11/3/2006 at 4:33 PM
Very few high end cleaners run 5 or more trucks. You'll need to refocus your efforts on the low, middle, and upper middle class nieghborhoods without losing your current customer base. Also market to your current base.

Modified By Shawn B. on 11/3/2006 at 4:34 PM

Posted By Tracy Walker on 11/3/2006 at 4:44 PM
Just let the tech do ALL the work he can and you hit the pavement to get the back up rig going full time. Then hire a floater to help you both and to learn all he can. In about 6 months or so if he is ready give him the second van. You can then hire another floater and start work towards the third van. If someone is sick, out, or quits you and the floater can feel in until they come back or you hire someone else.

P.S. I almost think that if you are doing well with little advertising that you will make as much just staying one truck with a helper. If you need a day off let the helper work solo.

Posted By David GARGAN on 11/3/2006 at 6:12 PM
If your repeat/referral and "doing everything you learned in SFS back in 97" you should be growing at a rate of 20-30 % per year and you wouldn't need to ask how to put another truck on the road.It should take care of itself. MAybe you should attend again.

Posted By macca333 on 11/3/2006 at 6:15 PM
Hi Brian

You answered your own Question " very little advertising " its not an expense its an investment get your systems right first everything starts from admin hire a part time book keeper, buy software eg. profit master, creat a website. Image is everything, Who answers the phones we created booking officers exp techs only to take all calls they know how to build runs and answer any enquiry. Ad extra services tile n grout buy a watter otter and we never work weekends or night work must have a life too.
Craig

Good Luck
Modified By macca333 on 11/3/2006 at 6:17 PM

Posted By Adam Hale on 11/3/2006 at 6:35 PM
I have always dried the carpet. Chemdry got big from drying carpets not cleaning them. We can do both. I have told several guys in my area to start drying the carpets, airpaths, extra vac passes, ect. And their biz has grow a great deal. I do 0 advertising, and get tons of jobs from word of mouth. All the new custys say I hear you do a great job and the carpets are almost dry when you leave. Just a thought.

Adam

Posted By bruce swartz on 11/3/2006 at 6:35 PM
getting another truck on the road is the same as opening another location or a 2nd or 3rd fanchise. It takes alot more work to get that 2nd truck up & running full time. in-order to increase your sales you will need to spend more money advertising . your yearly budget should be between 5- 10% of your gross. We only need 6 jobs / day to keep 2 trucks running (3/per truck) 8 jobs/day peak season.Hire a helper & get them trained. once they are capable let them solo, while you market, sell, & network. Remember this changes what you do carpet cleaning becomes a secondary job. Getting the work now becomes the job. Most companies dont grow because they dont allow any money for marketing or Advertsing, they spend their wad on a 50,000 butler, but they wont spend $1000/month on adv. Refferals will keep you steady, but you need fresh meat every day. We get about 3 new customers everyday from YP. that almost 1000/customers year new. those snowball.
Also look for other carpet cleaners in your area that might want to sell out. there are plenty of 1 man bands looking to get out, that will add new customers & accts.

Posted By Steve Lillard on 11/3/2006 at 7:49 PM
I read that guys want to add a 2nd truck but does'nt know when he can after 10 years in the biz, In three years I was running 10 trucks! It takes about 6k a month to run one truck.

Posted By Noble on 11/3/2006 at 8:14 PM
Forget the carpet cleaning experts. At this point in your business seek some outside-the-industry general advise on how to grow a business.

Couple of questions?
Posted By Wiley Gordon on 11/3/2006 at 8:28 PM
1. What are your personal and business goals?
2. what si your growth rate per year now.

3. do u want to grow the high-end residential division, or create "different" avenues for growth....horizontal v. vertical growth....

4. if u dont have immediate answers to these questions u have two fundamental problems...1. no way to measure what u r doing...2. no biz. plan for u to follow to achieve your goals..

Steve Lillard
Posted By Jim Bennett on 11/3/2006 at 8:52 PM
What did you do to grow so fast? i see your looking to have 5 trucks by next year in a new area. what kind of advertising are you doing, or did? pricing? email me.

Posted By Shawn B. on 11/3/2006 at 8:57 PM
YOU NEED TO BECOME A RHINOCEROS!

Charge!

Stop being a cow ;)

Couldn't help it, I just received my book Rhinoceros Success.

Modified By Shawn B. on 11/3/2006 at 9:00 PM

Posted By John VonNida on 11/3/2006 at 10:20 PM
Call Scott Rendall...........

Posted By Bright-1 on 11/3/2006 at 10:44 PM
What Johny V said. Get a mentorship with Scott. It may be what you're looking for.

Posted By Con Schultz on 11/4/2006 at 12:03 PM
lots of good insight above - Wileys post 6 up is very insightful

Con

Posted By Matt Himebaugh on 11/4/2006 at 10:40 PM
Brian...this is a simple answer, but complex action. Focus more on aggressive marketing and you WILL get more trucks on the road. Personally, I am happy now being owner-operated w/ a full-time helper. I haven't lost many jobs(maybe 4-5 in 1 yr.)because I was too busy. If you aren't losing jobs, you're ok (and not that busy). But, if your goal is to have WAY more business, advertise and GET those extra trucks on the road. I'm young and like the physical work. Plus, I've heard horror stories of hiring more employees and having the headaches of more overhead, employees screwing up, etc. But, many have success w/ multiple trucks. A local competitor has 5 trucks in my area and does very well. But, he's been in biz longer and is a hustler. I'm not there yet. Still learning. I hope to hire some guys in the next few years. If you're past that point, just FOCUS on your marketing and have a goal in mind. You WILL be a success.

Re: Jim Bennett
Posted By Waldo on 11/4/2006 at 10:40 PM
If Steve Lillard had it so good in Michigan why did he leave? I heard he is one of those guys that drives around in a unmarked white van. Dont believe everything you read here.

Golden Boy

Posted By Scott Rendall on 11/4/2006 at 11:37 PM
Lillard's the real deal. I've seen his trucks many times in MI and the ones I saw (at least 3 that I saw) were marked. He sold so he could live in a warmer climate. Can't fault him for that. I'm ready to pack it up for warmer climes myself!

Winter's approaching and it's almost time for us bears to hibernate.

Scott

Posted By Shawn B. on 11/5/2006 at 12:19 AM
As Scott said, Lillard's the real deal. He lives about 2 miles from me and he definitely has his van nicely lettered up. The guy definitely isn't scared to spend money to make money.

If I'm not mistaken he still owns part of the business in Michigan. Lillard can speak for himself though :)

The weather is definitely much warmer during the winter here in NC than it is in MI.

Modified By Shawn B. on 11/5/2006 at 12:29 AM

Posted By Tracy Walker on 11/6/2006 at 8:53 AM
Waldo you make no sense. Lilliard has a very nice lettered butler here in Charlotte and will probrably be adding more soon. As far as growing fast. If you have the desire and resources to market like you have 5 trucks instead of one you can add more trucks. Steve has been there done that so he has the knowledge and systems to handle the work load. I think alot of people just buy a shiney new truck and think work will fall in their lap. If you want to be a multitruck operation you have to become a full time marketing company that just happens to clean carpet.

SFS graduate's
Posted By David GARGAN on 7/9/2006 at 12:12 PM
Those of you who went through SFS and went home to start making changes in your business I have a question for you. Did you find it hard to get your employees on board with the VAST program? I have a guy who is a great cleaner, customers love him but he is resisting the changes. I've introduced more paper work which he hates, he thinks the cheerleading checklist is not neded because people already like things the way they are(because there are no complaints) I try to tell him how this will bring us to the next level and will benefit him but he doesn't see it.

He has been doing things my way for two years and change seems hard for him. My way of doing business only worked partly. I can see the light after SFS and know it can be much better. I even bought the tape series from Steve T."winning on the home front" but he's not getting into it. Says tapes are boring. So do I start over with another employee?

A lot of this is my fault for not running my business like a real business all this time and now to make him change is turning out to be a big deal. I was carefull to make small slow changes so I didn't overwhelm him. I would introduce 1-2 small things a week. AM I the only one having this problem?

David

Re: SFS graduate's
Posted By Dan Pauselius on 7/9/2006 at 12:28 PM
Like Steve Toburen says, the changes will weed out mediocre employees. I personally would rather have a so-so cleaner who had awesome customer relation skills than a great technical cleaner with so-so customer relation skills.

I would implement the bonus programs first. Money motivates most people. He will soon see that doing it your way will bring him a better paycheck.

I waslucky, after SFS the only person I had to convince was me, so many changes happened on that Monday. My only employee works in the Janitorial side of the biz and has great customer relations abilities. As a matter of fact, the first thing I did when I got back was to start giving her an attendance bonus. One of the best things I ever did. Since I did that, she acts like she has a vested interest in the success of my company.

Good points, David and Dan ...
Posted By Steve Toburen on 7/9/2006 at 2:48 PM
Getting your people on board with Value Added Service is a consistent issue our SFS members face when they return from the Strategies for Success seminar.

Simply put, everyone is naturally resistant to change. (And my guess is the average carpet cleaning tech is even more stubborn than the average employee!)

So what to do? Here are ideas from some SFS members. (Hopefully others will chime in.)

Most importantly- "WIIFM"- If you don't explain "What Is In It For Me" then no one wil change. After all, why should they? If there won't be any "consequences" to ignoring you why should they put themselves through an inconvenient disruption of their comfortable routine? Remember that these consequences can be positive or negative:

Positive consequences:
1. More money- If you bonus your people when they upsell (and you should) than believe me, with Value Added Service they will sell more.
2. More fun- It is just a lot more enjoyable working with people who like and trust you.
3. Fewer callbacks- Homeowners are not going to put your work under the magnifying glass if they FEEL you are a quality individual.

Negative Consequence:
1. You will fire their butt.

2. Give lots of recognition- People can't get enough of it. Track how well each employee is doing with his Service Index re: making Cheerleader. Then when he meets goal proclaim his triumph to everyone within the company.

More later if others don't bring them up. But I am working under ICS deadline and can't spend more time here. (Even though I would like to.)

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS All of the above having been said, I agree with Dan about it sometimes not being worth the pain to try and convert some anti-social employees. Move them into commercial work where they won't deal with the customer or just get rid of them.. Life is too short to work with people you do not like.

Modified By Steve Toburen on 7/9/2006 at 4:35 PM

Posted By Martin Sutley on 7/9/2006 at 5:10 PM
Not being a SFS graduate, my opinion may not be appreciated, but I'm gonna offer it anyway. One of the things I remember from meeting Dave a few years back is that he's a good guy. In fact, he struck me as the kind of guy who would be friends with just about anybody ... and certainly with his employees.

I know it's not fashionable to say this in these enlightened days of touchy feely personnel management, but you really can't be personal friends with most employees.

If he doesn't make the change, then YOU make the change.

And, the sooner the better.

Posted By Steve Toburen on 7/9/2006 at 5:54 PM
Once again I find myself reluctantly in agreement with the Porkmeister.

Dave, assuming you have properly oriented your tech on WHY you need these changes implemented and explained WIIFM and he still is resisting you- dump him.

As we discussed, Dave, an employee's acceptance or denial on Value Added Service is a valuable "litmus test" re: his or her future with your company.

Let us know how it goes but I will say life it toooo short to work with marginal people.

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training

PS My philosophy with employees was simple. If I asked an employee to do something that was a)not unsafe or impossible to do and b)was not illegal and c) not against their religous or moral beliefs then I expected them to either give me a convincing reason why they could not perform OR I expected (helped) them leave my employ. Respect and appreciate your people but do not let them hold you hostage.

PPS Martin, I always appreciate your comments. Even the editorial criticisms. Of course, if you were a SFS member ...
Modified By Steve Toburen on 7/9/2006 at 5:56 PM

Posted By Martin Sutley on 7/9/2006 at 6:20 PM
If it were FREE ...

Posted By David GARGAN on 7/9/2006 at 7:07 PM
MArty nailed it. I need to be more of a boss then a friend to people who work for me. Thanks for the advice guys. If things don't change I will have to move on and find somebody new or it will hurt me. I know that now.

Posted By Harry Hides on 7/9/2006 at 7:23 PM
David, I've been working on implementing what I learned at SFS for over 5 yrs and it is painfully slow especially when the local unemployment rate is 3%....
But money and bonuses do motivate. For example if you hire someone at $10.00 an hour - since you're in the deep south - and would be prepared to give them a raise of 1-2 bux over the next year or two - DON'T - instead give them a way to earn the raise if each and every day they follow the system for 10 days in a row - if they mess up then they start over - no bonus for 10 days minimum.
Basically it's a raise that you can take back anytime.

Modified By Harry Hides on 7/9/2006 at 7:27 PM

Posted By Shorty Glanville on 7/9/2006 at 8:09 PM
Looking forward to doing SFS in a couple of months and these guys kicking my sorry butt back into action.

I think even working on your own, one tends to get into a rutt, and can't see the wood for the trees, so to speak.

I believe a lot of us need a good shake-up every so often.

Cheers,

Shorty.

Harry, Harry, Harry ...
Posted By Steve Toburen on 7/9/2006 at 8:31 PM
Just when I think my favorite stubborn Canadian curmudgeon and general all around trouble maker is stuck in his groove you come up with these strokes of brilliance.

I feel the concept of a fixed raise is a very dangerous thing in our industry. (Given Pete's "doom and gloom" posts lately I am even more sure of this!) Once you give the raise it is fixed in concrete, no matter the future performance of the employee or outside business conditions.

I love your idea of giving generous bonuses based on attaining assigned performance goals. The ultimate goal is where the employee "earns their raise".

A classic example of this is raising your protector prices to where you can afford to pay the employee a generous commission AND you still make money.

Now when your techs come whining around looking for a dollar an hour raise you say, "Nope, won't do it. (Long pause here.) You deserve much more than a measly buck an hour. I won't settle for less than giving you three dollars more per hour." (Dumbfounded silence here from your employee.)

Then continue, "All you have to do is sell protector on 50% of your jobs and based on our average job ticket you will average more than forty dollars more per day!"

I love it. Takes the monkey off your back.

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training

PS David, good for you re: getting tough. However, before you drop the guillotine would you please review my "Eight Tough Questions" to ask yourself BEFORE you fire an employee. (Especially one who has been with you for two years and is a "great cleaner".) Not to toot my own horn but you'll find the info in your June issue of ICS or on this web-site. (This site is much more than a bulletin board. Evan loves it when I say this.)

PPS Have you sent this fellow to our one day Value Added Service for Technicians seminar? We developed it just for situations like this to get technicians on board after the owner has seen the light. Everyone knows your people won't listen to you. After all, you're just the boss ...

Oh, and Shorty, we'll be delighted to have you. Are you coming to Tampa or Chicago?
Modified By Steve Toburen on 7/9/2006 at 8:47 PM

Posted By Martin Sutley on 7/9/2006 at 10:12 PM
On a related subject ... have any of you had, or known anyone who has had, success paying strictly on percentage bonus, or even a marginal salary plus bonus?

Seems to me, when I start to hire again, I want to try and nip some of the employee BS in the bud by paying a percentage of the work performed.

Just a thought.

Posted By Shorty Glanville on 7/9/2006 at 11:09 PM
Hi Steve, I've been had by many people in the past.

Sorry, warped sense of humo(u)r, I'll be at Roselle, straight after Connections.

That Bill better have me booked in. LOL.

Enjoyed a coffee with Fred Geyen yesterday, said to say g'day to Bill.

We're getting that many visitors from the 'states here lately, it's a wonder we're not the 51st state.

Cheers,

Shorty.

Posted By John VonNida on 7/9/2006 at 11:16 PM
Never felt comfortable with an employee who thought I worked for him. Sounds like you've given him more than a fair chance to get on board with your Program. I wouldn't tell him "Change or Else". I'd ask him one more time if he will do things your way and if he questions it or wants to argue...Just tell him his services are no longer needed.

Posted By Robert Selleck on 7/9/2006 at 11:33 PM
Yep

Posted By Michael Ellis on 7/10/2006 at 3:04 AM
Marty...I pay strictly on commission and it works like a charm. Employees don't drag butt on the clock and know that moving with a sense of urgency pays.

Also, if they move too fast and get a call back....it's on their dime.

Of course, I think I pay a healthy commission too.

Posted By Lee Cory on 7/10/2006 at 7:58 AM
You said your guy is a great cleaner and the customers love him.

Many would die to have an employee they could say this about.

If you get rid of him, send him my way.

G

Ditto what Mikey said way up top.

Thats my dilemna I face.. but I can clean til about 55 i hope..
atleast that.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You have 2-choices sell out OR learn to deal with that fact that your employees may not clean quite as good as you.

If decide to continue in cleaning and hire employees, set down what is expected and then monitor that it's being done.

If they deliver 80% of what you can, you'll more than likely have 100% thrilled customers.

Sure you could clean better yourself, but most people will not be able to tell a difference.
:shock:

It can be done, I get several customers a week calling and mailing in notes with their payment about how great the carpet looks and how professional the tech's were that we sent into their homes.

Can I out clean them?

Sure (well, before I got so fat from sitting behind this desk I could :cry: ), but that is not the point, the customer is not only happy but we turned her in to a cheerleader and I didn't break a sweat. 8)

Train you people and continue making them better, use your time to market and run your business.

You can do it if you want to, it's not easy, but it will be worth it in the long run.
:wink:

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
get some good disability insurance or save a ton of money and be happy later

right now arthritis is killing me, it is getting colder and has rained for days and 3" to 5 " the next 36 hours forcasted, I always wonder how much longer I can continue living in this raining climate but I love it here

the beach and the mountains are a little over a hour each way and great fishing and crabbing, oysters, clams, etc

I love what I am doing also but it is slowly killing me and in the end the business isn't really worth much

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom