Fuel tap for Everest 700 dollars?

My supplier told me today that the fuel tap for my 99 chevrolet express van for the Prochem Everest was going to be 700 dollars. I was planning around 100. Why is it so much.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
JonDon quoted me about $400 for my 05 GM. I needed one with the fuel return line. You could talk to Les or Greenie but I think the price will be similar to JonDon.

My supplier told me if I had ordered this part a couple months ago the cost would have been around 200 dollars. Now there is an epa regulation or something. 700 dollars sounds ridiculous. I know I can find a fuel tap for less than 150. Help me out. I have a 99 Chevy Express 3500 regular wheelbase.

Chads

Supportive Member
There is no way they can charge you that much they sound like huge rip off what is wrong with a regular inlet hose tap that goes on your filler neck of your tank and drops down into your tank. heck if all else fails build it yourself.

The Everest is different than my Legend in that it is electronic fuel injected and has a bypass to keep the pressure regulated. The fuel tap for my legend was around 80 dollars. I am doing some calling tommorow to price shop this part, and if the part is around 700 then fine, but if it is half that price I am going to be upset.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Chads said:
There is no way they can charge you that much they sound like huge rip off what is wrong with a regular inlet hose tap that goes on your filler neck of your tank and drops down into your tank. heck if all else fails build it yourself.

Don't most vans have an anti-siphon screen to prevent you "dropping" a hose into the tank thru the filler neck? I know mine does, but it is pretty old.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
danielc;

We sell the fuel tap for $50 to $70, depending on if you need a return line for a fuel-injected TM.

You will need a few more parts, but any decent auto supply has them.

fueladapt.jpg

Larry

Greenie

I don't know what Larry is selling but I would sell the whole complete DOT approved kit, I don't want any liabilities, gonna run ya about $300+

And no, I'm not doing the work for free (always someone gonna ask).

So yea, $700 sounds high and $100 sounds low, but It's not my business what they charge, it's their overhead and profit.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
It all depends on if you get in a crash or get stopped by the DOT. Larry's are not epa or dot approved so make sure Larry will pay your fines for you with the $50 he is selling you the part for.

You want a Fuel kit from Transfer Flow that is EPA and DOT certified which will run you between 250-300 for a 99 and between 500-800 for a 06-09 depending if your supplier is buying direct or buying from someone else.

I can get you a EFI Kit for your 99 but they are 2-3 weeks out (Just called)and my price to you would be $288.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
An auxillary fuel tap system meet FMVSS 301 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards), VESC-22 (Vehicle Equipment Safety Commission), NFPA 1192, ANSI 119.2, RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association) regulations, CARB (California Air Resources Board), and EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) regulations.

FMVSS 301 states that anyone who alters a vehicle must meet or exceed the structural integrity and performance of the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) fuel system. A fuel system includes anything associated with fuel systems such as the fillneck, tank, gasoline lines, fuel pump, emission canister and fasteners. In other words, if an alterer adds an auxiliary system to a vehicle thereby reducing the performance of the fuel system, he or she has violated FMVSS 301 standards.

These fuel kits often are designed to retain the roll-over leak prevention of the original fuel system, which the cheaper "alternatives" don't allow for. You also have to make sure that the alterations are certified in a manner in which states that have emission testing and inspection can readily rely.

The TFI(Transfer flow) kits contain a certification decal that is placed on the driver door pillar for this reason.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
The DOT approved one on my unit is nothing special. The only real difference that I can see between Larry's and mine is that the fittings are threaded brass instead of welded SS. I know you suppliers have to cover your butts with the lawyers but as an o/o I don't mind taking a few minimal risks.

Chads

Supportive Member
Screw all that bs go with Larrys just a bunch of pansies trying to get more money so that its aprooved. what bunch of malarchy

Greenie

roll over....drip drip....

It's really all about liability, I'd rather your widow didn't own my company.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Shane T said:
Greenie, Why is Larry's going to drip in a roll over?

Just about every tap kit is different. Not just because the diameters of the fill or emission hoses vary, but also to comply with the emission and safety characteristics of a particular make/model and year of vehicle. Back in the late 80's and early 90's the tap kits were all quite similar. We inserted the tap manifolds in a section of fill hose, and we simply dealt wit the differences in diameter and dip tube length. If the fill tube had a back-flow prevention check valve, some either removed it or pushed the dip tube right through it (negating it's purpose- roll the van, and the fuel tank is more likely to spill). Unbeknown to some, this was dead wrong.

A company called Transfer Flow came up with a variety of solution kits for tapping into fuel tanks legally, and safely. It's a free country, and certainly anyone else is free to copy their idea. However, nobody i know of has. These kits might be a little pricey to some, but i have yet to see someone else come along and provide competition.

My company is here in California. Land of the most harsh auto emission and safety laws known to man. The kits we sell and use are CARB and Federal regulation compliant. While I'm sure that there are many states that have lesser regulation, still I have not heard of a tap kit supplier that makes kits for the other 49 states, with slightly less rigid characteristics. For me, it wouldn't matter anyway as most of my customers are Californians.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Shawn, Thanks for the clarification.

The one that PowerClean installed on my 03 GMC has the dip tube that goes through the back flow preventer. I don't know if this is legal here in WI. How dose Transfer Flow get around this problem?

Spurling

How about we mount a 15 gallon boat plastic gas tank under our van and run a line to that .. Im sure you clever carpet cleaners can figure something out along those lines .. or would that be a violation too?

Spurling

years ago .. I had a 92 chevy .. I took the 6in rubber hose between the filler neck and the tank and drilled a hole in it .. I took a brass barbed fitting on the outside and a 90 degree barb fitting on the inside with a washer in between on both sides .. I used a gas resistant sealant .. so no vapor or liquid leaks .. I took a 1/4 gas line from the 90 degree barb fitting(which was on the inside of the rubber connector hose) and added a barb fitting at the end to weigh the hose down in the tank .. that worked perfectly for years .. I think it cost me $20

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Shane T said:
Shawn, Thanks for the clarification.

The one that PowerClean installed on my 03 GMC has the dip tube that goes through the back flow preventer. I don't know if this is legal here in WI. How dose Transfer Flow get around this problem?

One of two ways, and I've seen both. Either they don't even use the fill tube (their manifold is for the vent tube), or they relocate the "back-flow preventer" check valve to before the manifold.

Spurling said:
How about we mount a 15 gallon boat plastic gas tank under our van and run a line to that .. Im sure you clever carpet cleaners can figure something out along those lines .. or would that be a violation too?

Sure, a remote fuel tank is always an option. The question is where to put it. You obviously can't put it in the passenger compartment (in the van), and there is not a whole lot of safe places underneath the van. We won't, and neither will any local outfitter install a gasoline tank outside the vehicle frame rails. Only propane tanks are robust enough, and diesel tanks "safe enough" to be safe in a collision where the tank is exposed outside the frame. That is not to say it can't be done. I know of plenty of out-of-state fuel tank installers who have no problem "taking the chance", or you can use an expensive fuel cell. But if you are gonna go through all that trouble, you'll d be better off just tapping the existing tank.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
As for mounting an auxillary tank beneath the van, I thought about using the area where the spare tire is stored. The main problem is locating a convienent filler tube and cap. I don't carry a spare anyway. I only work locally and if I get a flat I'm not changing it on the side of the road.

R

R W

I had heard that the newer vans (GM?) had a tap either standard or orderable built right into the fuel pump mounting on top of the tank.

Becker

Name
Becker
I'm with Greenie and John.

I think I paid about $300 for my fuel tap for my 06 e350.

I had to loosen the tank a little to install. I installed it myself.

Came with a DOT sticker for the door jam.

Nice clean unit designed to work with my vans system.

newer vans have a stopper near the tank. In a roll over the gas will not pour out.
The system I have replaces that stopper with a new valve with a bypass tube for the fuel for the TM.

Mess with a system and you might not be just risking your life.
No one needs a fire after a crash.
Many people die in car crashes because of fire, that would have otherwise been fine.

Do it right, $700 seems high, even for the part and labor. I know it took me a while to install it, but this was only my 3rd tap of a van.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Shane T said:
Greenie, Why is Larry's going to drip in a roll over?

Quite a bit of misinformation in this thread.

First of all, in 1999, the Chevy van DID NOT have a check valve in the filler hose line !

Second, we install lots of the Transfer Flow approved auxilary fuel systems in Vans that are 2003 and newer.

The TF systems for fuel-injected TM engines are about $250.

They have special "fluorochemical-lined" fuel hose to emit less gasoline vapor. :roll:

Transfer Flow was initially recommended by GM, for approved auxiliary engine fuel taps.

Ford did some factory installed fuel taps, but these had to be special ordered in most cases.

Larry

The fuel pump for the everest is really big(like 3 ft long) and it gets mounted under your van. The everest is also a fuel injected machine so there you have to run 2 gas lines one to and one from your machine. I believe that is why it is more expensive. The $700 probably includes all the manufactuer recommended parts and specs. If you have any warranty issues with your machine. They are going to blame it on the non manufactuer parts and most likely not cover your problems.

You may save a few bucks but wouldn't you rather know that you and your guys are safe when they are using your truck. Too much liabilty, I like to save as much as the next guys but sometimes(especially things like gas lines)its not worth it. If anyone gets injured and its becuase you didn't use factory recommended fuel parts you can KISS your business good buy....IMO

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom