Fringe-How do you clean it? On the floor or on a table?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Dan wants a table made up that the guys can wheel in and work on fringe on. Maybe waist high, 2.5 foot depth and 14 ft long with locking wheels. storage shelf on the bottom in case the move the rug around the shop and a clamp of some sort to hold the rug in place while they work on the fringe.

Is there anything like that available? If not what are you using?

f80454aa-436c-42bf-a970-6f43e2fffa39_zpsc40ef881.jpg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
That should work.

We don't do fringe work on tables, but we do make our own spotting tables using 2" pipe and Kee-Klamps for the frames, and have a local metal shop supply, bend and weld the top covers. Depending on the use we'll specify 304 or 316 stainless.

The cheaper products at restaurant supply houses or big box hardware stores are made using a type of stainless that has is easily corroded by a variety of cleaning chemistry.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
All our fringe work is on the floor and then smaller than 8 X 10 are hung over our racks we made. We can hang many thousands of sq ft of rugs in a fairly modest amount of space.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We've done them on the floor for decades but Dan feels that it would improve the quality of work if they were up where you can see what you doing and not in such an uncomfortable position.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I am guessing it will cost you tons of time and not sure why it would impact quality at all. gimmee a holler if you want to talk about it.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I figured you were a bowl on the head, use the shears kinda guy LOL. Talk to ya tomorrow~ I'm tied up in mtgs from about 10:30-1:30 but avail before or after and I'm up at the butt crack of dawn.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Sweens, He wants to roll the table around with the rug on it and those plastic table legs won't cut it.
I think he wants something like this:

View attachment 1917Rich's guys can run to the customer's car in their scrubs and take the nasty rugs to the emergency room or ICU. The customer area will have green walls and the latest in last year's magazines.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL Smartass!

I did get the design wrong Dan wants the table and big wheels but he wants the rug to be folded so they can clean both sides at a time without unrolling the rug. :icon_rolleyes:

He's off me today, he has John figuring how they can run cable back there to network the PC in the back, with the girls in the front. They are wanting to improve communications between the two, keeping them in the loop with pictures pricing and most importantly status.

prodrying

We clean the fringe on the floor also. I am with Ken on this. I don't think you are going to see an improvement in the quality of work. Good discussion though.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Kevin we've done it on the floor forever but Dan spent a little time back there last week and maybe it's an age thing, but he is not saying that.
He thinks it will be an improvement in the finished product. ???

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
please explain the dynamics of the improvement in the finished product vs doing them on the floor without all the time to set up each rug individually. We lay out dozens at a time, power treat them, hang the small ones (5 X 7 and under then relay another batch continue on. I sent you some pics Richard.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sorry I hadn't responded about the pictures (much appreciated!), I was in the middle of payroll and needed to finish.

I asked big "D" and what he said is that it is tough on knees (especially on his old knees) and he doesn't think the guys when they have a lot of fringe to do will be in the right frame of mind to put out their best effort if their knees are hurting.

He also said up off the ground the lighting will be much better and easier to see, without shadows on them.

I don't know if it's needed, I'm more of the water/upholstery guy, I never really spent much time with rugs.

prodrying

All I am saying is for me and my shop we will keep doing them on the floor for now. It's not enough of them that are problems to warrant spending a bunch of money to get them off the floor. Plus why fix it, if it ain't broke. Now, that's a fact Jack! (sorry a little duck dynasty reference slipped in.)

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I know where you (Dan), are coming from.

As one enters the twilight years, the bones creak, the knees get sore, the eyes grow dimmer, and it's harder to get up off the floor.
wheelchair.gif

WHEN I was still doing a few rugs, I also found the table easier, although time wise, took longer.

I would fold the rug end to end, but leave one end shorter.

Then I would roll from the middle to the ends.

Lift the rug onto the table and unroll slightly until both ends would be at the edge on each side of the table.

Sometimes I would have toweling under the rug along the edge, and spot & clean the fringe on the table, do both fringes, remove the towel and unroll a bit more to let the fringes have over the side.

Air movers would then dry.

Other times I would clean fringe whilst is was hanging over the edge, I have a small mechanics chair on wheels, so I could scoot along from one end to the other cleaning with no problems.

C'mon guys, I live in the sticks and come from down under.

We have to improvise.:hopeless:

:very_drunk:

Reactions: Desk Jockey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I am with Dan.
Just like cleaning upholstery, if you set your work area better and more comfortably, the work quality improves.

It also sends a great message to your employees that you care.
Dan is the man.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
He was 4-cart tables, 7-ft long. He wants to be able to lock two of them together for larger rugs and apart for smaller. This way they can roll the carts on each side of the rug, pull an end up and work on one side flip it over to the other table and hit it then drop it and repeat the process with the other end. :oldrolleyes: He's on a mission, he has been back there all morning measuring and fooling around with rugs and asking questions of one of the rugs guys.

I get like that but with water trucks, I have one over at the distributors now moving a hose reel to allow us space to modify the racking to make space for a flood pumper.
:icon_cool:

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
I hang mine and lower each side down to my handy loooong plastic table to work on fringe. I hate crawling around on my hands and knees - I've only spent thousands of hours doing that so far in my business! OK, maybe not thousands, but it feels like it!

Name
Nate W.
We just wash them when washing the rug on the floor... If it needs more attention after it dries (dries brown, stains, ect..) I just lower the pole it's hanging on and clean them at chest level..

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We did the table thing about twenty years ago at the insistance of our then wash manager. For quite awhile they worked out great as serving tables when we had company functions.

There are just too many steps involved with getting a rug on and off of a table if you care about efficiency.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
We use two tables - each 8' x 4'
View attachment 1943
For us with our small operation they are ideal for hand washing of rugs, spot cleaning, dye work, fringes. packing rugs for delivery, etc
Also great if you can have your plant laid out so they will roll under the drying poles.

roro

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom