Equipment Maintenance and Repair Courses?

Greenfire

Name
Thea Tapson
I work for a full service restoration company. We have a guy who loves to work on equipment when he can, but he doesn't exactly know what he's doing. Our project manager, and our owner do know how to show him, but are often too busy, or not available when he's working.

I'd really like to find a course that teaches proper maintenance, minor repairs, for everything from our truckmounts, air movers, dehumidifiers, portable extractors, powered cleaning equipment. Basically anything we'd use in restoration that doesn't need to go to the shop.

Does such a thing exist? I thought I remembered seeing something through a link here once, but I could be imagining it. I'm happy to hear any recommendations! I know we can send him to small appliance repair training, I'm just hoping such a thing exists for our industry, rather than washing machines and dryers!

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Mikey P

Administrator
I work for a full service restoration company. We have a guy who loves to work on equipment when he can, but he doesn't exactly know what he's doing. Our project manager, and our owner do know how to show him, but are often too busy, or not available when he's working.

I'd really like to find a course that teaches proper maintenance, minor repairs, for everything from our truckmounts, air movers, dehumidifiers, portable extractors, powered cleaning equipment. Basically anything we'd use in restoration that doesn't need to go to the shop.

Does such a thing exist? I thought I remembered seeing something through a link here once, but I could be imagining it. I'm happy to hear any recommendations! I know we can send him to small appliance repair training, I'm just hoping such a thing exists for our industry, rather than washing machines and dryers!
There is no such thing but boy if there was ever a time and place for this industry to create exactly what you're asking for, it is now

Reactions: Cleanworks

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I’d love for Legend to host 3 day to week long classes on different categories from portable to tm, to dehumidifier and desiccant maintenance and repair. I’d fly out west for a good tm course

Greenfire

Name
Thea Tapson
There is no such thing but boy if there was ever a time and place for this industry to create exactly what you're asking for, it is now
I have a knack for coming up with ideas for others to implement. I'll just be happy if someone sees my request and acts on it. Everything from decontaminating equipment, minor repairs, general maintenance, replacing worn items. I know we have one person we'd pay to learn that from someone who has the time to teach them, just to shorten their learning curve. They like to fiddle with stuff now and will figure out how to fix things, but a better foundation gets them to expert status sooner.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I’d invest in the proper tools needed to read and translate the codes when they happen. I know our manuals have a translation but it can go deeper into several factors and a full day class would help greatly on that subject alone

Reactions: Greenfire

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I’d love for Legend to host 3 day to week long classes on different categories from portable to tm, to dehumidifier and desiccant maintenance and repair. I’d fly out west for a good tm course
1. Beginner’s course 1-2 days: showing people how to do miner things like change the oils, belts, ways to prevent freeze damage, basic know how’s on targeting an unknown shut down (waste tank float, loose battery cables etc) Use a tm like a rage or legend

2. General course: 3-4 days. other trouble shooting techniques, changing seals on water pump, changing timing belt, different ways to read and interpret engine codes, use a tm like a Everest

3. Direct drive PTO general course

4. How to recharge and repair dehus 1-2 day course

There’s several car dealerships that have a multitude of service centers for us to choose when we buy a car. And they seem more accountable to hold their responsibility for taking care of your expensive purchase. That’s not the case with our truckmounts that are more important than a car, for the mere fact that the machines literally put food on our tables.

I feel it’s Legend’s and Hydramaster’s responsibility to open a door for the consumer to properly maintain the unit when most of the dealers fail. All they’re interest is is just to SELL SELL SELL! Isn’t that right Rick? How about REPAIR, MAINTAIN, PREVENT!! That should be the new slogan.

I’m fed up with getting jerked around and I’m ready to do EVERY kind of service on my machine. Not just basic oil changes. YouTube doesn’t answer all my concerns

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

steve_64

Other industries I've worked in you hire a guy to come to you to teach you on your equipment due to all the variations, Chavez comes to mind.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
1. Beginner’s course 1-2 days: showing people how to do miner things like change the oils, belts, ways to prevent freeze damage, basic know how’s on targeting an unknown shut down (waste tank float, loose battery cables etc) Use a tm like a rage or legend

2. General course: 3-4 days. other trouble shooting techniques, changing seals on water pump, changing timing belt, different ways to read and interpret engine codes, use a tm like a Everest

3. Direct drive PTO general course

4. How to recharge and repair dehus 1-2 day course

There’s several car dealerships that have a multitude of service centers for us to choose when we buy a car. And they seem more accountable to hold their responsibility for taking care of your expensive purchase. That’s not the case with our truckmounts that are more important than a car, for the mere fact that the machines literally put food on our tables.

I feel it’s Legend’s and Hydramaster’s responsibility to open a door for the consumer to properly maintain the unit when most of the dealers fail. All they’re interest is is just to SELL SELL SELL! Isn’t that right Rick? How about REPAIR, MAINTAIN, PREVENT!! That should be the new slogan.

I’m fed up with getting jerked around and I’m ready to do EVERY kind of service on my machine. Not just basic oil changes. YouTube doesn’t answer all my concerns

Thank you; terrific idea!

I have a 75 year old semi-retired service guy who has installed and repaired everything above since 1978. He still has incredible strength and energy, but there is a end to his ability to do the heavy part of the work in sight.

You might have just given him a few more years of employment, and something I know he would enjoy.

Mikey P

Administrator
Thank you; terrific idea!

I have a 75 year old semi-retired service guy who has installed and repaired everything above since 1978. He still has incredible strength and energy, but there is a end to his ability to do the heavy part of the work in sight.

You might have just given him a few more years of employment, and something I know he would enjoy.
Can Lee's GF use a digicam and have any editing skills?

If not find a 16 yo who does.

Pemberton's Online University could be a sweet retirement gig for ya

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Greenfire

Name
Thea Tapson
I just talked to Kyle from Legend Brands, he was pretty good at explaining why they don't do this. It's a combo of resources, and liability. He said to offer a training program for their equipment for maintenance and minor servicing, it would be a 2 week class, and logistically they don't have the people to do this as it would have to be around the country and take a significant amount of time. Liability wise, there's reasons why repairs should go back to the dealership in a lot of cases.

But, he did note that all of their equipment does have maintenance videos on youtube available, and they have techs on from 7-5 Pacific Standard Time if you ever get stuck with something and need help, they'll walk you through it. I did find some good ones for our Sapphire, so will find ones for our other equipment lines and he can read the manual or call them to fill in where he needs.

By the time anyone else comes up with a class, I'm hoping our guy doesn't need it anymore. But it's clear there's a market for it, and I see it being a great career choice for a retired guy to venture into, I look forward to hearing about your friend @Jim Pemberton and if he ends up going into this!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
In no way am I trying to be rude... But the fact is that 95% of the carpet cleaners out there are just not mechanically inclined to be working on machines... And even a 2 week class would never be enough to grasp some of the mechanical/electrical problems that could accure on these types of machines....not to mention that to carpet cleaners could have the exact same machine.....but 2 different generations.. And I promise you.. Something got changed somewhere.. So the shell might be the same.. But the insides are built a bit different... I have been out of this business for almost 2 years now and I still get calls on helping people with there equipment... Sometimes.. that can have you pulling your hair out.. Because either they tried to fix it and really screwed something up.. So you have to figure it out and the get back to the original problem... Or they have a different generation... And it is not the same..so you have to figure out what the manufacturer did... And then figure out what is wrong... So this would not be as easy as it sounds.. Anyone can service there machines... But when it comes to the nuts and bolts and wiring... ... It's not as easy as sitting in a 2 week class...

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I just talked to Kyle from Legend Brands, he was pretty good at explaining why they don't do this. It's a combo of resources, and liability. He said to offer a training program for their equipment for maintenance and minor servicing, it would be a 2 week class, and logistically they don't have the people to do this as it would have to be around the country and take a significant amount of time. Liability wise, there's reasons why repairs should go back to the dealership in a lot of cases.
Throwing out the term "liability" is a crappy excuse for wanting to say "it's a waste of our time", not caring how valuable it is to the student. There's liability in everything we do in this industry. And signing a waiver to release any liability would fix that

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Throwing out the term "liability" is a crappy excuse for wanting to say "it's a waste of our time", not caring how valuable it is to the student

my "between the lines" reads;

"there's not enough money in it for the PITA factor"
and..
"What's in it for our disty's if you fix your chit at home?"

..L.T.A.

Dwain Ray

On Vacation
Name
Dwain Ray
In no way am I trying to be rude... But the fact is that 95% of the carpet cleaners out there are just not mechanically inclined to be working on machines... And even a 2 week class would never be enough to grasp some of the mechanical/electrical problems that could accure on these types of machines....not to mention that to carpet cleaners could have the exact same machine.....but 2 different generations.. And I promise you.. Something got changed somewhere.. So the shell might be the same.. But the insides are built a bit different... I have been out of this business for almost 2 years now and I still get calls on helping people with there equipment... Sometimes.. that can have you pulling your hair out.. Because either they tried to fix it and really screwed something up.. So you have to figure it out and the get back to the original problem... Or they have a different generation... And it is not the same..so you have to figure out what the manufacturer did... And then figure out what is wrong... So this would not be as easy as it sounds.. Anyone can service there machines... But when it comes to the nuts and bolts and wiring... ... It's not as easy as sitting in a 2 week class...
Im 68 years old now and come from a mechanical back ground .my father was a machinest/ tool and die maker/ old school before cnc machines/ a grandfather that lived with us was a body shop manager/ my other grandfather (i lived &worked for for 3 years) owned a gas station/ repair shop (before gas stations became 7/11s) i went into the coast guard and became a shipboard mechanic my rate was MK a combination rate if navy would be engineman,boiler tender & machinest mate, in my 4 months of schooling for my rate i was amazed at how many guys were there that had never changed there own oil, this was foreign to me. When i got employees, i required (and still do) all fluids(except transmission) be checked every morning before starting a van or piece of equipment(if i ever pulled a dipstick and found no oil on it you would loose your job on the spot 1 guy did) again i was amazed by how many people i had to show where the brake fluid and power steering fluid was checked, so i understand the reluctantly and the potential liability of teaching some of you basic maintenance face it not all but some of you can pose a danger to yourself with tools, so short of giving everyone a mechanical aptitude test before allowing into a course how would you weed um out?i carry a ton of spare parts on my vans and have spent hours and hours of training on basic maintenance and feild repairs, ive had to go so far as to show the proper was of wrapping teflon tape (some of you reading this are thinking right now "theres a wrong way???🤔🤔" ) and still after a employees feild repair to finish a job it has to be checked when the van returns and alot of times re done correctly, how do you with out setting torque specs for each nut ,bolt or screw teach someone who doesn't know which end of s screwdriver to use how tight is too tight??

Reactions: roro and BIG WOOD

Dwain Ray

On Vacation
Name
Dwain Ray
Im 68 years old now and come from a mechanical back ground .my father was a machinest/ tool and die maker/ old school before cnc machines/ a grandfather that lived with us was a body shop manager/ my other grandfather (i lived &worked for for 3 years) owned a gas station/ repair shop (before gas stations became 7/11s) i went into the coast guard and became a shipboard mechanic my rate was MK a combination rate if navy would be engineman,boiler tender & machinest mate, in my 4 months of schooling for my rate i was amazed at how many guys were there that had never changed there own oil, this was foreign to me. When i got employees, i required (and still do) all fluids(except transmission) be checked every morning before starting a van or piece of equipment(if i ever pulled a dipstick and found no oil on it you would loose your job on the spot 1 guy did) again i was amazed by how many people i had to show where the brake fluid and power steering fluid was checked, so i understand the reluctantly and the potential liability of teaching some of you basic maintenance face it not all but some of you can pose a danger to yourself with tools, so short of giving everyone a mechanical aptitude test before allowing into a course how would you weed um out?i carry a ton of spare parts on my vans and have spent hours and hours of training on basic maintenance and feild repairs, ive had to go so far as to show the proper was of wrapping teflon tape (some of you reading this are thinking right now "theres a wrong way???🤔🤔" ) and still after a employees feild repair to finish a job it has to be checked when the van returns and alot of times re done correctly, how do you with out setting torque specs for each nut ,bolt or screw teach someone who doesn't know which end of s screwdriver to use how tight is too tight??
To follow-up on this rant if you take your van to GM dealership for work the technician doing it is trained by "mr goodwrech" and has his merit badges on his sleeve if you go to a reputable independent they are ase certified and also proudly wear the merit badges. i think before any company considers training the consumer, perhaps they should start a bit closer to home and require training , testing, and continuing education for the idiots hired and overpaid the fix their s$#t first.

• Love

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
To follow-up on this rant if you take your van to GM dealership for work the technician doing it is trained by "mr goodwrech" and has his merit badges on his sleeve if you go to a reputable independent they are ase certified and also proudly wear the merit badges. i think before any company considers training the consumer, perhaps they should start a bit closer to home and require training , testing, and continuing education for the idiots hired and overpaid the fix their s$#t first.
👆 Best answer on this thread

Dwain Ray

On Vacation
Name
Dwain Ray
If you liked that rant than you'll like this follow-up to the follow-up rant, a big problem today is people are ill-equipped to do anything other than push buttons on a phone. Schools today are more interested in teaching gender equality to second graders than industrial arts to teens. When i went to junior high i took wood shop,metal shop,print shop, photography, and high school i got 4 seminars of electronics class and a semester of auto shop allong with drivers ed and drivers training (in simulators and real cars!) Now adays what is taught?i had to take bookkeeping in high school you were taught how to balance a check book(one thing i don't do) but you were better trained to make it in the world and if not self reliant at least semi informed i don't really blame companies for not teaching cleaners how to fix their own equipment the old saying goes DON'T TRY TO TEACH A PIG TO SING, YOU'LL ONLY END UP FRUSTRATED AND IT ANNOYS THE PIG!😉😊

Dwain Ray

On Vacation
Name
Dwain Ray
If you liked that rant than you'll like this follow-up to the follow-up rant, a big problem today is people are ill-equipped to do anything other than push buttons on a phone. Schools today are more interested in teaching gender equality to second graders than industrial arts to teens. When i went to junior high i took wood shop,metal shop,print shop, photography, and high school i got 4 seminars of electronics class and a semester of auto shop allong with drivers ed and drivers training (in simulators and real cars!) Now adays what is taught?i had to take bookkeeping in high school you were taught how to balance a check book(one thing i don't do) but you were better trained to make it in the world and if not self reliant at least semi informed i don't really blame companies for not teaching cleaners how to fix their own equipment the old saying goes DON'T TRY TO TEACH A PIG TO SING, YOU'LL ONLY END UP FRUSTRATED AND IT ANNOYS THE PIG!😉😊

Thank you

Dwain Ray

On Vacation
Name
Dwain Ray
May i make a suggestion on how companies can get repair techs on board with training. Tie it to pay when hired, when i hired cleaners it was clearly understood they were paid a starting wage,when they were able to be on the trucks alone they got a raise, from that point the next 3 raises were and are based on education, i require all cleaners to have 3 iicrc certifications or get um within 1 year. each comes with a dollar per hour pay raise first is a giveaway 1 day class odor, second is cleaning tech third is upholstery, in the beginning i paid for the training until 1 tech quit and applied for a job at a hotel i cleaned and used his iicrc certifications to get the job and i lost the account to "in-house cleaning" from that point on i adopted a different approach i still require 3 certifications but i loan the tech all fees and expenses to get it and withhold the raise till paid off that way they were not out of pocket for any training required for the job and i didn't pay for training the compensation after all the certification is theirs not mine if i owned school buses and you apply for a job i wouldn't pay you to get a special drivers license or any medical certifications required but i would pay you if you have um. Businesses don't pay you to go to college but they do pay you more to have the degree . I found this approach weeded out the slackers and techs tend to stick around when they had an investment in what their doing . Don't get me wrong there were other raises but not until you had the minimum required education. Perhaps similar would work for repair techs and maybe they would be better at their job and stick around longer. Just a thought hoping maybe manufacturers can do something about this problem does cuse it's not going to get any better with all the government regulations and mandates equipment is only going to get more and more complex and harder to maintain and they will require more advanced tools and knowledge to do it. Their was a time when it didn't take a rocket scientist to work on these machines but sadly those days are coming to an end. So I say to you manufacturers out their whata ya say, how about gettin us some rocket scientist's

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I'll be teaching a welding and upholstery class. Think of it as a welding "on" upholstery class. It will be a hot time for all.

• Haha

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Mike you’re an arrogant dickhead for thinking most of the people in our business are like that. I don’t care how many calls you get from those guys, but all of the people I talk to can comprehend this type of education

I think you’re just a magnet to idiots that can’t install jets properly on a wand

Mikey P

Administrator
Mike you’re an arrogant dickhead for thinking most of the people in our business are like that. I don’t care how many calls you get from those guys, but all of the people I talk to can comprehend this type of education

I think you’re just a magnet to idiots that can’t install jets properly on a wand
All five or six of the guys you a formed chat group with from teemef ?

Matt what percentage of cleaners do you think participate on social media?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
All five or six of the guys you a formed chat group with from teemef ?

Matt what percentage of cleaners do you think participate on social media?
The smart ones who are willing to learn participate on social nedia

Also, the suppliers who associate with those who aren’t on social media could spread the word to anyone else who wants to preserve their machines properly

Quit being a legend puppet.

Dwain Ray

On Vacation
Name
Dwain Ray
I'll be teaching a welding and upholstery class. Think of it as a welding "on" upholstery class. It will be a hot time for all.
I tried that once but i couldn't see what i was doing during the upholstery cleaning part with that bulky welding helmet on . Sign me up maybe ill learn something 😂🤣😅

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom