Edward Fields Rug

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
We're cleaning for a client next week. The homeowner has an Edward Fields rug she asked us to clean. We're 3-5 hours from any rug plant in Texas or Oklahoma. I explained to the client that she should consider taking it to a plant, but wants us to clean it anyway. I went into detail about the difference in how we would be able to clean it vs. a plant and that she'll need to sign a release, etc. We do clean rugs, but this client is very wealthy, and I have no idea the value of this rug... Yes, we've cleaned many rugs, but treading lightly with this client.

1) Anything special about an Edward Fields rug we need to know? Is it just a nice wool rug? 2) Suggestions on cleaning it? - we'll do a colorfast test, etc.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Amygeorge

rhyde

Name
rhyde
You can extraction clean these like wool wall to wall carpet most wash plant around here do anyways.

Extra dry passes i would speed dry with a fan or two be careful at the ends and sides you can over wet and the cotton edging on underside can pull water to the back.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
They're very well made and you should have no issues extracting it on-site. As Randy mentioned you need to clean it like wool, and until two weeks ago would have sid that an Edwards Field rug won't bleed. doing the color test is worthwhile, as these are custom-made for the particular owner so are both expensive and will take several months to replace.

PS: A release won't protect you if you damage the rug. It will make the customer question your ability. I'd skip it.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
rhyde said:
You can extraction clean these like wool wall to wall carpet most wash plant around here do anyways.

Extra dry passes i would speed dry with a fan or two be careful at the ends and sides you can over wet and the cotton edging on underside can pull water to the back.

Exactly right- this is how we almost always clean these in our shop. Sometimes we rotary first and then extract or post bonnet. Often there is a lot of need for stain removal processes due to how they are often used in dining rooms, board rooms, etc. Some large ones we clean for some major institutions here in metro Detroit are quite large.

I double dog agree with Bryan about the release- never have one signed, except for noting damaged or stained areas on anything. You/we are the professionals and if we don't trust ourselves to clean something we should not put it on the client and it likely won't hold up legally.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
common rug here and very pricey. i clean in the house and have never had a problem. a true Edward Fields rug has it written on the back. they used to have their own service where you could ship the rug to them and they would make it like new.

gene

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
Thanks for all your wisdom! I will take your advice! I will not be in town when they do this job; I'm printing this out for the tech's . This is why I love this board!

Hope everyone has a good week and stays cool.

amygeorge

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom