E TES cold weather drying vs. LGR temp or low temp drying

BUSY BEE

I know and am convinced the E TES is great for cold weather/low humidity drying, as i have had hours of conversations with Chris Hagen at Sierra Cleaning Supply in Reno about it, to me it's a no brainer. I'm posting this to try to convince my partner and his water damage expert in CA that this equipment is vital to us suceeding in a cold weather area, as we had issues on 2 jobs recently. The problem I may have is that Chris is a supplier, or an ego thing coming from our side, who knows? Can some of you TES owners explain why it will succeed? The more detailed info the better, I would really appreciate it, as I will print this and maybe I can convince them the E TES is the way to go. Thanks everyone, Bill

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
I love ours. We used it on a class 3 loss last week that had a garage that was affected, no heat, 16x20 with 8'6" ceilings. Ambient air temp in the garage was 33 when we arrived, 100% wet drywall. Next morning it was 77 in the garage, with airmovement and 1 evolution, we only had a couple of wet areas that were in the 20's. Next day nothing above 9 mc.

I have it in a small basement, 14x20 that was flooded right now, 2' of water, unfinished, but the furnace was ruined, no heat in the home. We'll be pulling tommorow.

Both of these situations aren't where the E-TES shines, directed heat drying, but it does help in small room situations.

I own 2 dragons and the E-TES. E-TES is much easier to deal with and it pays more per day than the dragon, which has it's place in larger losses without heat, but much more labor intensive to set up and maintain.

topnotchman

I think the dragon is well suited for drying a large crawl space, its worth the setup time to dry out a crawl.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
I think the dragon is well suited for drying a large crawl space, its worth the setup time to dry out a crawl.

Absolutely. The dragon is great for crawlspaces and basements, and entire houses up to a point. The dragon is designed to provide heat in an unheated area. The E-TES shines at directing heat to a particular surface to heat that surface and speed drying, but it also does a great job of heating a small area such as a single car garage, or a small room.

Our dragons have not been in our shop from December-April in 2 years. We use them that much. It's a shame that the E-TES actually pays more minus the airmover than the dragon does in Xactimate in our area. That's why I use my E-TES as much as possible for boosting heat in an area that needs it.

topnotchman

Ed said:

Absolutely. The dragon is great for crawlspaces and basements, and entire houses up to a point. The dragon is designed to provide heat in an unheated area. The E-TES shines at directing heat to a particular surface to heat that surface and speed drying, but it also does a great job of heating a small area such as a single car garage, or a small room.

Our dragons have not been in our shop from December-April in 2 years. We use them that much. It's a shame that the E-TES actually pays more minus the airmover than the dragon does in Xactimate in our area. That's why I use my E-TES as much as possible for boosting heat in an area that needs it.

I could have used a E-Tes or a dragon to dry a smaller crawlspace. I ended up ducting in my LGR through a vent register. Whats the price difference from a dragon to an E-Tes? I cant seem to find a price on a mobile furnace like the dragon in the bluebook.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Dragon is $180 per day here in Xactimate, E-TES is $200 per day, plus the arimover @ $25 per day. The difference is set up time. Dragon takes a couple of guys about an hour to set up. E-TES the time to plug it in basically. Not to mention the cost of diesel and sending a tech to refuel.

I'm not opposed to the dragon, not by a long shot as they are 2 different animals. But on smaller jobs, the E-TES just makes life easier.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Sure heat does help in cold weather, but using heat is a benefit in cold and warm weather enviroments.

Why?

The process of evaporation is endothermic, which means it takes energy for something to evaporate. As a molecule of water evaporates, it leaves the surface of the water and flies into the atmosphere. Thus, in simplified terms, the molecule converted heat energy into kinetic energy (energy of motion)

That is why hot water evaporates faster than cold. If you heat the materials to a temp of between 130 and 140 degrees and get proper air movement your going to dry very quickly.

How many clothes dryers are sold that have no heat? How many hair dryers have you seen that just blow cool air?

An E-TES or any other piece of equipment that utilizes heat isn't the only piece of equipment you need, but it is an ESSENTIAL tool in the water damage tool box.

If your not using heat your falling behind.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
LGR dehumidifiers are less effective in cold weather because the grains of moisture in the structure are already low. It is not uncommon to have GGP's in the 20's or 30's in a structure and in the single digits outside in New England in the winter time. The homes heating system is also exchanging dry air more frequently in the winter making LGR's less effective after the first 24 hours of drying. Using an E TES to heat wet material to increase its vapor pressure dries faster than trying to lower an already low ambient air vapor pressure using an LGR.

BUSY BEE

Thanks everyone..... Hopefully this gets through to some hard heads...ha...ha. And thanks Chris Hagen, for setting up the E-TES for Bob, that may have helped getting through to Tom.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom