dulling of limestone/travertine

Mikey P

Administrator
if you've cleaned much of either I'm sure you've seen where a false shine accumulates over time and cleaning with a oxy blaster type product and a turbo dulls the finish.

Are we etching, honing or just removing soil, mop residues and foot oils?

before..

189325527_photobucket_32260_.jpg

after cleaning

189325527_photobucket_32258_.jpg

189325527_photobucket_32257_.jpg

this is in a home going up for sale on Saturday for 20 million

Statues stays...

189325527_photobucket_32259_.jpg

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Like we've talked before, maybe it's the peroxide in these products.

Have you tested other stone cleaners?. I remember the natural from chemdry would etch the crap out of marble and would do the same thing. I heard it was the fizzy that did it but don't know if it had other similiar ingredients then the oxy.

Albert

John Olson

Name
John Olson
You etched it using oxyblaster. You should have only used an alkaline no peroxide. The reason it works so well on grout is the same reason not to use it on natural stone. Could really suck to be you if someone notices.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
How would you correct something like that? Polish/Hone/Grind?

How much are they knocking off the home's $20 mil price tag in exchange for keeping that creepy ass statue?

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
I've cleaned travertine with alkaline boosted with oxyblaster with great results but never straight oxyblaster

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
by that picture i would say D all of the above....

Did the chemical not cover that area??? Because that looks similar to stripping and waxing, where the chem never got spread there...

did you just flood the floor and rinse with a turbo, or did you do some other mechanical agitation on it??

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Peroxide can dull a stone finish, but I'd suspect that a good part of it is because the cleaning removed oily soils built up over time. This happens a lot in kitchen areas.

You may be able to compare to an area that was under furniture or otherwise covered and has not had much traffic. You can get a close idea of what the original gloss level was.

Monkey pads / Spinergy pads / Viper pads should bring the gloss level up just fine.

Mikey P

Administrator
3 of us will be busting our humps there ALL day tomorrow.

I did the kitchen the other day after we finished the carpet to see what we're in for.

I'll monkey the kitchen and switch to Klenzall for the rest of the job.

I've only seen the situation the Scott speaks of when using OB on stone.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
That's what I was thinking... I'll take this opportunity to shamelessly promote my new additions to EncapStore.com.

Perhaps you'd like to take advantage of some introductory pricing on Stone Care & Cleaning Products: http://encapstore.com/cart/index.php?ma ... x&cPath=27
:p

Quite a few products will be added to this portion of the site in the next week or 2 so keep an eye out for new products.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom